Does anyone know the AFL's compensation algorithm?

Remove this Banner Ad

They werent. Hawthorn got the largest compo they could get, despite the contract being well over the minimum threshold. The pick was so low because Hawks had just won the Premiership.

Motlop just scraped into the 2nd level of Compo.
Geelong finished second and made it to a prelim, if that's the difference between losing a superstar and a guy Geelong wanted gone before he played 2 good games late in the year for the same pick ... well I'd love to see that formula.

They should just scrap it.

What are the chances they never increased the salary bandings based on the 20% increase in the cap?

A $600k salary in 2018 has the same cap impact as a $500k salary in 2017.

It's exactly the kind of thing they'd overlook.
Sounds like a Dean Wallis spreadsheet type error

maxwells-equation.jpg

Any system that offers the same compensation for Motlop as it does for Franklin is joke. I'd really like the fast talkers of the AFL to explain that one.
Gary ablett is here

Garry ablett is going there

We need our team from here to do ok

The team from there doesnt have much to offer.

/end

Any system that offers the same compensation for Motlop as it does for Franklin is joke. I'd really like the fast talkers of the AFL to explain that one.
it didnt offer the same compensation. one was band 2 the other was band 1. the fact band 1 and band 2 can deliver the same pick is stupid. but that has got nothing to do with a hidden algorithm. that formula is clearly stated publically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the link I previously posted
"In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result."
also in the same document
"The free agency system started at the end of 2012 and will remain until the end of 2016."

Therefore I don't know if new rules have been written but carried over.
Also there is lots of articles available that explain what the AFL consider but all fail to mention what is the formula algorithm to arrive at the points that determine the band.

The most concetning part of the process is their reliance on a so called "expert committee".

No such group has or will ever exist.

They should be honest and say...we shoot from the hip and check with some drunks at the pub.

If it's me it would be something along the lines of:
Age (A)
19-22 - 1.2
22-25 - 1.1
25-30 - 1.0
30-32 - 0.9
32+ - 0.8

Games played (GP)
0-50 games = 0.9
50-100 games = 1
100-200 games = 1.1

Previous Salary (PS)
0-200k = 0.9
200-400k = 1
400k+ = 1.1

B&F (BF)
Avg top 5 - 1.1
AVG 5-15 - 1.0
Avg 15+ - 0.9

Injury (I)
Games missed through injury over 2 years
25+ = 0.8
10-25 = 0.9
<10 = 1.0

Future salary x A x GP x PS x BF x I with compo picks decided if a players number falls in a certain pre-defined band. But I honestly don't think it exists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back