Roast Does anyone not like the majority of their own teams fanbase?

Remove this Banner Ad

The ones on Bigfooty are great.

Have to say I’ve come across some peculiar types at the ground though. Still can’t forget the time I sat in front of some maniac who had brought his girlfriend to the game and was doing the condescending “I’ll help you understand the game of football” stuff. Classic when the girlfriend got tired of it and told him that the guy he had been calling Wattsy all day was actually Josh Wagner, and to shut up. I should have bought her a beer
Clapping Applause GIF

Probably why every time I’ve intruded your board I seem to be welcome there unlike a lot of us.
Man going over to your board during the tim kelly thing was like walking into mordor

Its was like being in a darkened room whilst people would take turns walking up and shrieking a rant into your ear and sashay off squealing.

Some very strange cats in there!!

I dont spend a lot of time on oppo boards but when i do - you can have a laugh and poke a bit of fun at each other and as long as you dont cross a line its all good. Coming from the eagles board where you really have to set out to be kicked out - the geelong board was somewhere i decided to never go again.

Richmond and collingwood are the best boards to visit imho good bants

Man going over to your board during the tim kelly thing was like walking into mordor

Its was like being in a darkened room whilst people would take turns walking up and shrieking a rant into your ear and sashay off squealing.

Some very strange cats in there!!

I dont spend a lot of time on oppo boards but when i do - you can have a laugh and poke a bit of fun at each other and as long as you dont cross a line its all good. Coming from the eagles board where you really have to set out to be kicked out - the geelong board was somewhere i decided to never go again.

Richmond and collingwood are the best boards to visit imho good bants

I went to the West Coast board during the Kelly saga, and dealt with some of the most delusional campaigners on this site. It was fun.

Also a good lesson on what to genuinely engage with on this site and what to take the piss out of. Trade discussion, (particularly that trade discussion) should never be held seriously on this site.

I went to the West Coast board during the Kelly saga, and dealt with some of the most delusional campaigners on this site. It was fun.

Also a good lesson on what to genuinely engage with on this site and what to take the piss out of. Trade discussion, (particularly that trade discussion) should never be held seriously on this site.
Thats what it should be - fun and bullshit and one eyed one upmanship - with a bit of serious discussion here and there.

The majority of football fans (just like the majority of the human race) are incapable of understanding a counter-view, and are incapable of compromise. Everyone just finds their own confirmation bias, and slanders anyone and everyone else else
Pffft you are just a shill for BigFooty

Are we talking bigfooty or supporter bases in general?

On Bigfooty I can understand it’s a small enough group where moderators/regular posters influence the feeling of each clubs board.

If you’re talking about clubs supporters in general? I think it’s an exercise in stupidity the variation between your average supporter of any team in Victoria would be minimal.

I find that a lot of our supporters lack a bit of balance, and tend to have too much rose covered glasses, and despite recent success, are incapable of thinking that maybe some of our decisions haven't been great and we could do things better.

Success brings about that though I think, I like to think I maintain balance but don't always see the same.

Are we talking bigfooty or supporter bases in general?

On Bigfooty I can understand it’s a small enough group where moderators/regular posters influence the feeling of each clubs board.

If you’re talking about clubs supporters in general? I think it’s an exercise in stupidity the variation between your average supporter of any team in Victoria would be minimal.
I think bigfooty is worse for one eyed fans who can’t see anything wrong with their club than attending matches. I mainly go to SA games and as feral as those Power fans can be, I love the atmosphere of it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if it's the majority, but there are 2.6m people in WA and a lot of them go for WC. And a lot of them are complete nuffies. It's a bit like America, the nuffy fringe of a large number of people is still a pretty large number of people. Having been to many games over the years our fans are pretty embarrassing, but really it's just a footy fan thing. Every club has 'just kick it!' 'you're useless <insert highly decorated player>' etc. fans in the outer.

Being a Dees fan at games is unbearable, the most negative crowd you’ll ever come across. Makes the game almost unwatchable. Hopefully that changes next year.
I think it actually gets worse the better you are. Once the expectation is there, unless you are completely dominant there will be people complaining. "How are we letting them get so close" Can't believe we are letting this spud dominate" etc

Footy related, I like the Port Adelaide Faithful. There are still some Hinkley disciple Happy Clappers but in the main core Port supporters know their footy.

On the other hand, a large portion of the Port Bigfooty board, during Covid times, have shown themselves to be really whiney, scared, rabidly left wing low level public servant type soft campaigners which has been quite eye opening.

The old money, conservative Eagles fans s**t me. The Goodes & Jetta stuff from a while back really made me uncomfortable.

But this is, as others have mentioned, likely because fan bases are a broad church and old money conservatives s**t me in general.

I'd hate me if I was a Dees supporter, overtly negative of the club and massive critic of Goodwin thought he was wasting the list, always stuck by the players like Petracca when many others were bagging him out however. Thoroughly enjoying eating this humble pie Simon.

The old money, conservative Eagles fans sh*t me. The Goodes & Jetta stuff from a while back really made me uncomfortable.

But this is, as others have mentioned, likely because fan bases are a broad church and old money conservatives sh*t me in general.

I totally agree.

We came to Australia 8 years ago and for the first 24 months I was supporting Freo (mainly because we could get tickets to see them play) but wanted the Eagles to do well because they were the other WA club. But steadily as we met more and more people in Perth I started to grow more of a dislike for the Eagles due to the majority of fans I met. The final nail in the coffin was the 2015 finals series when Freo got dumped out in the prelim - the trash talking from several Eagles fans I knew in passing was just awful. And my god can an Eagles fan moan - I sat next to a couple of older Eagles fans at the AFLW Derby last week and all they did was literally complain about every single contest that didn't go in their favour - including for our last goal suggesting that the umpire should have paid a mark to the Eagles because 'she almost held on to it!!!' (it would have been mark of the year if she had).

That said, this is about your own fans and because I do tend to find I generally dislike most people (and if I'm honest about myself - this my own flaw in that I am a total intellectual and political snob) there are plenty of Freo fans who I just sit and shake my head at. Whether it's wallowing in a plucky little brother mentality (maybe if I'd been a fan since day one I might have that mindset) but also we do tend to attract more of the boozier boneheaded bogans in Perth than the Eagles do. That clip from the 2015 prelim of a Freo fan punching a woman and abusing everyone around them wasn't especially surprising.

But on balance, whilst most sides have their dickhead fans I do find that in general life footy is a great conversation starter wherever you go in the country and I have really good and close friends who support most of the other 18 teams. And I do have a benchmark to compare because the absolute worst fans in the world are English soccer fans - to the point that their behaviour has led me to stop caring about how the England soccer team performs. My wife and I went to watch the FIFA world cup qtr final at a sports bar in the city 2-3 years ago and left after ten minutes because of the other english fans in the bar - it was truly like watching a pack of feral dogs let loose.

Obviously the internet can make it seem worse with some of the complete weirdos you can come across but I just find as a Geelong supporter the overwhelming majority are overbearing and not up to touch with reality. The only thing I actually agree with that they have to say is the obvious home game bullshit but why didn’t anyone bring that up when we were actually any good?

Let’s be honest about the club, too. They simply do not give a sh*t, they are just happy to make the 8 every year and maybe make a profit. I cannot think of a fanbase that sooks as much as ours. You also couldn’t find a more perfect pair of tossers to be the main focus. Chris Scott and Patrick Dangerfield. They’re embarrassing.

I feel like a few people here will probably agree with what I’ve personally said about my own club. I was just wondering if anyone else was as disillusioned with their fanbase as much as me? Is this normal?
Let me be clear. You're a Geelong supporter????

I think it actually gets worse the better you are. Once the expectation is there, unless you are completely dominant there will be people complaining. "How are we letting them get so close" Can't believe we are letting this spud dominate" etc
Dees fans have always been like that though. The crowd was booing the players R1 2021 when we were 25 points up against Fremantle because we weren't kicking away.

Let me be clear. You're a Geelong supporter????
Yes and I only respect about 10 opinions on our board. For the record the guy who’s name starts and finishes with the same letter that nobody ever agrees with isn’t one of them

Dees fans have always been like that though. The crowd was booing the players R1 2021 when we were 25 points up against Fremantle because we weren't kicking away.
No that was just me. Even my partner told me to STFU

I like the Bulldog fans on here, but some of the fans that go to games are really negative, grumble and moan and even abuse our players.

I moved seats because of the negativity from three people sitting around us, who had nothing to say when we were winning. But non stop negativity if we are losing one who just had it in for Minson, non stop abuse towards him.

I am not a fan of abusing any player, I think it’s weak, clever banter however is always appreciated.

I like chatting to Collingwood fans, find Geelong fans abusive, Essendon and Carlton were obnoxious, but quietly gloomy now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back