Games Does anyone Play Football Manager?

Remove this Banner Ad

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Stevenage
I ask because I intend to share my Football Manager 2012 story, which represents my best ever fortunes on an FM game (it's not my best ever run on a management sim- that came on Ultimate Soccer Manager, but that's a far easier game).

It begins (obviously) at the 2011/12 season, and as a Liverpool fan, I took on the role of Liverpool manager. At this point the club has only £2 million or so available to spend, so you have to make do with you've got. The likes of Agger, Carragher, Gerrard, Suarez and Reina made up the core of my side and then the likes of Bellamy, Aurellio, added to it. I managed to win the FA Cup in my first season and finished second in the league, only losing three games- but Man Utd only lost once and cruised the title race.

I would however, win three league titles and three Champions League titles until departing the club in the summer of 2018 (along with a smattering of FA and League Cups). I was reasonably pleased with that- I don't generally fair too well at the game so it felt good to actually get a few trophies. I signed the likes of Giuseppe Rossi and Marik Hamsik (Hamsik in particular was a bargain of a player), but I got an offer to become England manager and didn't want to turn that down. I won the 2020 European Championships but faired poorly at the World Cup in 2022 (Quarter finalists, I think). I left England after that and after a year became AC Milan manager.

I wasn't there for long- I won the Copa Italia in 2023 and Seri A in 2024. I was thrashed 8-0 by my old club Liverpool in the 2024 CL final, and midway through the 24/25 season I wasn't 'feeling' it anymore, but I wasn't ready call time on my career so I resigned as AC boss and waited till I felt the urge to play again.

When I resumed I wound up in the middle of the 25/26 season at League 2 Chesterfield- yes, Chesterfield. They were flirting with relegation, but I managed to keep them going, signing a few youngsters and free transfers to bolster the squad- we snuck into the playoff places on the final day of the season and then went and won the playoffs- not something I'd expected but at the time it felt like a better accomplishment than anything else I'd achieved.

Midway into the 26/27 season and I'd gotten Chesterfield into the playoff places of League 1. I was quite happy, but then I received an offer to take charge at Real Madrid. I couldn't say no to that!

When I joined they were some way behind leaders Barcelona and well off the pace of a CL spot. I knew I faced a battle on my hands and two wins and two defeats from my first four games weren't encouraging signs for consistency. However, I stomped Barca at the Nou Camp and went on to chase them down- eventually winning the title with games to spare.

It was the start of FIVE consecutive La Liga titles, though sadly I would only win one CL with them- all too often I'd reach the final only to come unstuck- at the end of my fifth season in charge, and yet another final defeat, I left.

I was in charge of Spain for a year- working toward qualification for either WC or EC- I forget which, However, at the end of that year, Liverpool asked me to take over again. Once again, I couldn't say no.

In my absence Liverpool had only won three more league titles but, after I'd brought them up to 8 CL titles, they'd won five more to rest on 13. My next sequence is what I regard as my best achievement on an FM game by far.

I won the Premiership six times on the trot, and for the first five seasons also won the Champions League- I have never known such a run- I lost my sixth CL final, but I retired my manager feeling very pleased.

I've since started up a new manager within the same game- this time at Spurs. I lead the title race by four points from Arsenal, and my 'old' club Liverpool are struggling a little.

Bizzare facts: at one stage, Manchester City, despite their millions, were relegated. Yup, that's right, relegated. Former Premiership side Wigan have sunk to the Blue Square Premier league. Swansea and Southampton have both qualified for the Champions League. Scotland won the World Cup, as did Mexico. It's been a funny career.

Anyone else got any FM stories?

Roman Abramovich.

This thread will probably be moved as it's not in the right area.
Seriously though, I used to play heaps back in the day but I've slowly gone off it. Each year seems like very minor upgrades with a new database patch.
That being said, I'll probably try 14 as well.

I'll get into it a bit later but my favourite seasons were as Leeds when they were slowly going down, turn them into a powerhouse again.
A save file that my mate and I did together, went as Pompey and turned them into a powerhouse.
Supat Rungratsamee, Vincent Pericard and Jason Roberts. They were dominating for us.

Used to love that I found hidden gems, then later you'd see them sign for huge clubs. FM rated some young players really well, then again some ended up complete duds.

I have to say from about 03/04 (when I started) to about 08/09 (roughly) were my favourite times playing.
I enjoyed going an average club and turning them into a powerhouse slowly, than going Arsenal for example and winning everything straight away.
People seem to think that the later FM's are the hardest but I tend to disagree. As long as you never did the diablo tactic with Oskarsson, cheat to get money or otherwise, I felt it way more fun and challenging in the earlier versions. It's an odd thing to say but I think my average knowledge of football then opposed to now, may have influenced the fun factor. I'm quite sure a few of the players were relatively unknown, but most of them that I never heard of and got them dirt cheap to an average team - were probably quite known to be highly rated.

Anyway, I will revisit this when I can actually remember my stories. I might have one posted on the sigames forum.

I love this game.

Right now playing as Atletico Mineiro in Brazil. Bit different to what I'm used to, but still fun.

One thing I'm finding is hat I'm not able to get much more than 4 seasons out of any given game. Havent been able to get 10+ seasons since FM2009

I love this game.

Right now playing as Atletico Mineiro in Brazil. Bit different to what I'm used to, but still fun.

One thing I'm finding is hat I'm not able to get much more than 4 seasons out of any given game. Havent been able to get 10+ seasons since FM2009

I've had the same issue, I tend to take a break from FM then start a new save when I get back.

After adding tier 7 to the English system I was going great with FCUM last week (was top 2 the distance)
Then I go out, leave the computer in sleep mode. My dad comes in and puts the god damn thing off losing my save file.
Sure, I only lost 1 month. But I didn't want to feel I was cheating so havn't continued it.

Have moved onto Pokémon HeartGold instead since :)

Though, one of my favourites was with Ferencvaros (Hungarian side)
Made Champions League 3 straight years. Went into final group matchday in the 3rd year with a 0-1-16 record.
Was down 0-3 or something at 1/2 time against some French (or was it Portugese team :s ) CBF making any changes. Same team, same gameplan. Overrun them 5-0 in 2nd half to win 5-3

After adding tier 7 to the English system I was going great with FCUM last week (was top 2 the distance)
Then I go out, leave the computer in sleep mode. My dad comes in and puts the god damn thing off losing my save file.
Sure, I only lost 1 month. But I didn't want to feel I was cheating so havn't continued it.

Have moved onto Pokémon HeartGold instead since :)

I'm just about to start a game at level 11. No idea which club I should pick yet

I'm in 2040.

Started at Spurs, and have since won titles/CL at PSV, Hoffenheim, Real, PSG and Roma.

Just returned to Spurs, and won the title in my first season by 8 games - we were predicted to end at 7th.

Actually worried about my form right now.
Started the season 10-0-0 but have since gone 0-3-0 (15-0-0 then 0-5-0 including champions league and carling cup)
I do have injuries hitting me in defence with me literally having 0 substitutes to use in the defensive half who are any good.

I did like my signing of Leiva though from Liverpool. Was going great in DM.........Until injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in 2040.

Started at Spurs, and have since won titles/CL at PSV, Hoffenheim, Real, PSG and Roma.

Just returned to Spurs, and won the title in my first season by 8 games - we were predicted to end at 7th.

The scary thing is- I've just won the 2040 Prem title with Spurs- only by five games though.

Invincibles! :D
Though, it was tough in 3 competitions.
So many draws in league that despite being undefeated, a loss in the final matchday would've cost me the title if City won. Luckily Newcastle kept them to 0-0 while I took down West Ham 2-0. :D

Carling Cup I had to get through 2 rounds in PSO's after 0-0 draws.

And the Champions League final was nerveracking. Dominated Manchester United all game, had something like 20 shots to 4 at full time. Then 25 to 5 after the next 3. Had to win and complete the perfect season in a PSO. Won it 5-4 after 8 goes each!

Quadruple with Arsenal! :D

Currently manager of Penarol in Urugury - 4 league titles (currently on a 71 game unbeaten run in the lague) final of the Copa Sudamerica (beaten by Sao Paulo) and knocked out of the Copa Lib quarter final by Boca Juniors. Not going to leave as i want to win the Copa Lib before going to Europe.

Got Santa Cruz in Brazil promoted from 3rd div in Brazil to 1st div in 4 seasons.

Been playing Championship/Football manager since 1999/2000.

Biggest achievement would have been winning the CL 5 times (including 3 in a row) with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIK_Fotboll with an all Swedish squad, took 25 years though. Or making the WC final with Iran.

I dont play any of the big European clubs anymore. Its no challenge curb stomping everyone with Arsenal. I set myself challenges or try and do ones from other websites.

:eek:

Tempted to go on a 1 month holiday.

April 2015...
4.4.15 - @ Liverpool (EPL)
7.4.15 - @ Real Madrid (CL - QF)
12.4.15 - vs Manchester City (FA Cup - SF)
15.4.15 - vs Real Madrid (CL - QF)
18.4.15 - vs Chelsea (EPL)
22.4.15 - vs Manchester United (EPL)
25.4.15 - @ Tottenham (EPL)

Have a crack at Messi? Although I assume given your a few years in there's probably better players already out there.

2015 - Neymar would probably be worth the cash

in my game 2020ish he has roughly the same stats as Messi and is still at Santos.

Have a crack at Messi? Although I assume given your a few years in there's probably better players already out there.
My team is quite strong at the moment and I have ready made players ready to fill the shoes in a few positions.

I keep on using my transfer budget every year for 1-2 instant starters then 1-2 stars of the future.

I've basically grabbed 1 starter a year, 1 backup a year and 1 star of the future a year. Then sell anyone who's 30+ in the offseason.

I'm looking at bringing in 5 people this offseason.
2 players who are good enough that they'll be able to start in 2016-17. A Left Back and a Central Back. Though, I might look more into that left back role as that's the biggest weak link in my team right now.

Then 3 stars of the future who will be great in a few seasons time. 2 Central midfielders. I can move players from other positions through midfield, but I want to develop a few future stars as I have s**t all depth at the moment without moving my DMs up or bringing Oxlade-Chamberlain back. Then a future star Central back.

And that 129M will grow as I'm selling Mertesacker and Cazorla right now. (Looking at selling them for 10M and 15M respectively)

My current team is this

-------------------------Falcao
Schrulle--------------------------------Oxlade-Chamberlain
-----------------Ramsey------Wilshere
-------------------------Leiva
Monreal-----Vermealen-----Varane-----Rafael
-------------------------Szczesny

The only thing I remembered fondly of the game was a Chinese regen player named Ni Hao who was actually a great left back
Ricardo Fallas :cool:
Gave him a few games last season and will give him more time this season.
Just turned 18 and is already starting for the Costa Rican senior team.

Though, my favourite one as getting a stud regen player from San Marino. I think he was starting for their senior team when he still hadn't cracked out of my u18s side. (Though, that's not saying much, it is San Marino we're talking about....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back