Health Does Australia need a Minister for Loneliness?

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hear me out.

When I met Barran I suspected that the minister of loneliness portfolio was a bit of a gimmick. In fact, I'm now persuaded that it's a model for other countries.

I'm convinced that people in Australia today are lonelier than they were when I was a kid.

There's a number of factors involved, from smartphones and social media to mass immigration to 'gender equality' to the 'gig economy' and so on.

Not to mention the consequences of smaller families and the rise of childfree lifestyles.

Whatever the causes, the result is clear to us all, surely.

Is there anything that can be done about this on the macro? What should be done about it by government? And when?

Are you lonely? Do you think people are more lonely to day than in the past? Or is this all a load of poppycock?

Over to you, bigfooty :thumbsu:

Hear me out.

I'm convinced that people in Australia today are lonelier than they were when I was a kid.

There's a number of factors involved, from smartphones and social media to mass immigration to 'gender equality' to the 'gig economy' and so on.

Not to mention the consequences of smaller families and the rise of childfree lifestyles.

Is there anything that can be done about this on the macro? What should be done about it by government? And when?

Are you lonely? Do you think people are more lonely to day than in the past? Or is this all a load of poppycock?

agree 100% it's a problem

There was a time when a women couldn't work at all and or had to quit when she got married. They couldn't own property or get a loan, thus entirely dependent on the father or husband.

Now a women doesn't need a man and even when they want one, they probably have priorities such as travel and testing their own career value. The result is marrying later and kids later.

Contraception and divorce has also played it's role along with other factor when it comes to women no longer being dependent on males and family.

The issues I mention above aren't good or bad, rather acknowledgement of changing importance on family, changes in social interaction and changes in the need for strong supportive communities. These are just changes that bring about different issues like loneliness.

you've mentioned social media, smart phones above. Not only do they isolate individuals in the company of family and friends, it also isolates them, in the company of strangers. The same strangers where a chance conversation could lead to a new friend.

I also feel too much screen time can lead to addiction, depression and other mental health issues.

the lower importance of the church and other community gatherings warrants a mention.

the dole and pension, meaning you don't need to turn to friends and family for help. Further the less likely others are willing to help in times of need, as they can point to government support.

I'm confident life was never easy, in fact it has never been better, but I do feel today's youth face challenges like no generation before them. Loneliness, the feeling of not fulfilling potential and depression seem to be more prevalent today then in years gone by.

Last edited:

Sometimes I have a very busy life and it’s great. Then when I have nothing on , no work or no social stuff I feel very lonely and very alone. Honestly if it wasn’t for my church I would lose the plot I swear. No partner , mother and father are useless, sister lives interstate, no really close friends. It’s really hard. I just try and be grateful for what I do have, but yeah agree loneliness is epidemic in this country.

It's sad that we live in a society where alone time is associated with sadness and sorrow.

Being lonely from time to time is fine, but I take solace when I'm by myself. Sometimes I wish I was by myself for long periods at a time, as I have been in the past.

Take the time to care for yourself, using only yourself.

Im not sure I ever feel alone.

Single parent with one kid 100%, and one kid 70% and work full time.

I would love more alone time.

I think part of the problem is we live in an instant gratification world where people struggle if not immediately filled with excitement.

People need to learn to embrace quiet moments. Sit and watch a sunset. Birds in a tree. Ants building a nest. Read a book. Listen to some boring crap on ABC Radio. Etc.

Or actually call friends and talk on the phone rather than text.

Reach out and make new friends. Join a group for something you are passionate about.

Be like old people and chat to the stranger next to you on the bus or train.

And on a more serious note, if you truly feel alone and its unhealthy reach out to a support group.

Or send a msg to someone on here. Who knows, they may answer and strike up a friendship. Or they may ignore it. But that's okay too. Maybe its just not their thing.

Msg someone else. But dont be weird about it.

The worst is when youre with family/friends and still feel alone. I mean i love my family but when you just go home to the usual empty apartment it can be very hard.

yes.
Feel very lonely even amongst family and friends.
I split with my girl after 23 years , its been 11 months..
Still not over it, never will be, she was the one for me.
Better be getting used to lonliness I think, welcome me to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not depressed but yes im fking lonely and its horrible
I feel for you shell. And other who are lonely. Its terrible. Now im not sure how long some of you have been alone or felt lonely and all i can speak of is my situation. After being with my girl for15 year, 11 married and with two kids and moving to another state with no family within 4000km/5 hour flight, then splitting up i too felt the immense loneliness that came with that.
i went from the house having 4 of us here all the time to having half the time being here alone. Was eerie almost walking thru the house at night and during days on weekends and there being nothing but family photos up and silence. Real silence as no traffic noise or anything.
i had this for about 6 months. I went insane almost. I was on this forum all the time. I didnt have many friends either as the ones we had formed decided to side with my ex (even tho there was no real conflict or sides to take).
so yeh. Alone. No family. No friends. Work from home. No work colleagues.

I feel for you shell. And other who are lonely. Its terrible. Now im not sure how long some of you have been alone or felt lonely and all i can speak of is my situation. After being with my girl for15 year, 11 married and with two kids and moving to another state with no family within 4000km/5 hour flight, then splitting up i too felt the immense loneliness that came with that.
i went from the house having 4 of us here all the time to having half the time being here alone. Was eerie almost walking thru the house at night and during days on weekends and there being nothing but family photos up and silence. Real silence as no traffic noise or anything.
i had this for about 6 months. I went insane almost. I was on this forum all the time. I didnt have many friends either as the ones we had formed decided to side with my ex (even tho there was no real conflict or sides to take).
so yeh. Alone. No family. No friends. Work from home. No work colleagues.

Well idk since i was early 20s to now, minus 3.5 years when I was with my bf.

Its a lot stronger now since I've lived alone for 1 year tho.

Living by yourself can be great but also very difficult. I've done it for 3 years and so long as you're busy studying, working, going out, etc it's nice to come home to quiet. Too much free time isolated in your own house can get boring as batshit though! Bouncing off the walls after 2 quiet weekends in a row...

How the hell has gender equality and gig economy led to loneliness though? Wouldn't it help social interaction rather than hinder it?! That's some galaxy brain thinking there

I'm lonely but not nearly pathetic enough to blame 'gender equality', effniks and the welfare state.

Did get a lol - turns out the way to solve loneliness is to get women back in the kitchen after you've fked them without a donger!

Living by yourself can be great but also very difficult. I've done it for 3 years and so long as you're busy studying, working, going out, etc it's nice to come home to quiet. Too much free time isolated in your own house can get boring as batshit though! Bouncing off the walls after 2 quiet weekends in a row...

How the hell has gender equality and gig economy led to loneliness though? Wouldn't it help social interaction rather than hinder it?! That's some galaxy brain thinking there
The gig economy link is straight fwd. people use uber eats and the like and eat alone at home rather than heading out.

The gig economy link is straight fwd. people use uber eats and the like and eat alone at home rather than heading out.
I took it as people working in the gig economy. I didn't read the article though, just the OP

Makes sense now you say it though. In saying that what difference does it make if you cook at home or order take out. Most people eat dinner at home 90% of the time, how it arrives is irrelevant. Still don't think this should be much of a factor

I assume the Minister for Loneliness gets his own desk outside the cabionet room.
Personally, I'm depressed, have no friends because I'm a campaigner, also highly introverted which is not a major cause; but not lonely.

Hear me out.

Buy a blow up doll

You guys are lonely because?

A) You can't connect with people
B) Have no partner
C) Isolated due to several issues
D) Live away from '' home ''
E ) You want to be
F ) For Failure, All of the Above

Joking on the F part ( I hope )

Again I'm joking

Remove this Banner Ad