Health Does Australia need a Minister for Loneliness?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a 29 year old male who also feels extremely lonely. Never dated and have no friends. I teach so work keeps me busy but I hate holidays as I'm all alone so that's why I try to go away if I can.

Taylor summarised it very well. I'm not sure what I can do it address it as I don't want to feel this way forever. Thinking if a a different career would make any difference.

Play footy or cricket, great way to make mates, even if you’re no good there’ll be somewhere you can compete.

I moved out on my own a week ago. Already struggling with loneliness. It's going to be an interesting adjustment.

Are you sleeping ok? I thought i'd be worried af being alone overnight (like i was when my flatmate went overseas and such) and sleeping. But i was actually ok with that tbh. Right from the get go too. Weird.

I'm a 29 year old male who also feels extremely lonely. Never dated and have no friends. I teach so work keeps me busy but I hate holidays as I'm all alone so that's why I try to go away if I can.

Taylor summarised it very well. I'm not sure what I can do it address it as I don't want to feel this way forever. Thinking if a a different career would make any difference.
Hire a personal trainer
Play a sport of your choice socially ( there are social games, you don't have to join a team
volunteer
Go to the beach and pool to de-stress. Water has a calming affect

Try these things.

eagele boy you can't run/hide from your problems. Changing careers, is that really going to help you? It may or may not. But whatever feelings and issues you are struggling with, they have to be addressed and you have to ask yourself why they are present. What are the roots of your problem { or problems in most peoples cases )

I just looked at that last one, and it has social meet ups for EVERYTHING. Cycling, Golf, Martial Arts, eating and walking with people. Just go and take a small step. It could even lead to you getting married. Seriously. Without the first step, how can you grow?

Don't judge yourself. If you can be a teacher, you're more competent than you know. You're a worthy guy. Go out there and have fun. Let yourself live.

Conor McGregor - Unleash yourself on these mother *ers. Who the * are they!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should never rely on other people, possessions and especially cats to make you happy.

There's a hundred different things you can lay blame to but there's always more you can do, it's all about the hustle and that's not exclusive just to this topic.

What ever it is you love or have always wanted to do, find where and how to do it and start doing it.

You'll have to prob go out of your comfort zone and other humans will be around but because you are doing something you love it'll be a little bit easier to socialize because the activity is something you enjoy.

Meet ups arent 100% great for making true, long term friendships.

They would be like the "fast food" of friendships i would call them. Great, fills you up for a while, but then later on you just feel empty again.

/no not trying to whinge, just stating it like it is from my experience.

Ive done quite a few. Some people you become friendly, most you dont.

Of those friendly, some may become friends, most dont.

Much like any other way of meeting people I would think.

Thanks for the suggestions the_interloper and Macpotata. I tried a few social gathering meetups in the past but being a more introverted person and not really into partying/drinking they weren't great. Find Perth very insular too as everyone seems to know everyone. Activities are probably a better option. Love sport although not very talented. Been trying the gym with mixed success as I'm not really a fan of it but feel it may improve self-confidence as I'm tall but am slim with no real muscle.

Probably feels like I am running from my problems if I do change careers. Had some issues at my current work though and do feel a little less motivated/directionless but not sure if changing will actually help or just set me more back and I'll not like it/be good at it. Journalism is the path I have considered.

They would be like the "fast food" of friendships i would call them. Great, fills you up for a while, but then later on you just feel empty again.

/no not trying to whinge, just stating it like it is from my experience.
I made one friend who I still see, not very often though. I also met someone who I thought was really nice , she ended up becoming friends with one of my friends and pushed me out of the group . So yeah meetup is something I would now advoid.

I made one friend who I still see, not very often though. I also met someone who I thought was really nice, she ended up becoming friends with one of my friends and pushed me out of the group. So yeah meetup is something I would now avoid.
Your initial friend isn't very good if she let the new person get between you and push you out. No loss there

Some of the most important people in my life are people I've met through Meetup.

It isn't a case of, 'go there and people are instantly your friend'.

You still have to exchange phone numbers (or 'add me on fb' or whatever the kids do these days) and make an effort to get to know them outside of meetup.

For anybody who hasn't already read the book, I recommend Dale Carnegie's 'How To Win Friends and Influence People'.

It isn't about winning friends or influencing people, it is about learning your own good and bad habits in social situations, and improving on the latter.

I'm lonely but not nearly pathetic enough to blame 'gender equality', effniks and the welfare state.
This reply is not so much for you but for the handful of people who 'liked' your comment.

Re 'gender equality'

Women are more attracted to men who earn more than them. Now that women are working more jobs and making more money, fewer men are attractive to them. This is not a value judgement on 'women's liberation', merely a statement of objective fact. With less attraction between the sexes it naturally follows that there will be more isolation and loneliness.

Re 'effniks'

My comment was about mass immigration. Studies show that mass immigration leads to lower social cohesion and civic activity, for example, people are more likely to volunteer in non-profit organisations when they live in areas of greater cultural homogeneity. This is not a value judgement about immigration or about 'ethnics', it is a statement of objective fact. It naturally follows that as mass immigration continues unabated, people will feel more isolated and lonely in their own communities.

Re 'welfare state'

I didn't even say anything about the welfare state. What is it with brainwashed 'progressives' and simply making stuff up?

This reply is not so much for you but for the handful of people who 'liked' your comment.

Re 'gender equality'

Women are more attracted to men who earn more than them. Now that women are working more jobs and making more money, fewer men are attractive to them. This is not a value judgement on 'women's liberation', merely a statement of objective fact. With less attraction between the sexes it naturally follows that there will be more isolation and loneliness.
My wife earned more than me by heaps when she met me
Re 'effniks'

My comment was about mass immigration. Studies show that mass immigration leads to lower social cohesion and civic activity, for example, people are more likely to volunteer in non-profit organisations when they live in areas of greater cultural homogeneity. This is not a value judgement about immigration or about 'ethnics', it is a statement of objective fact. It naturally follows that as mass immigration continues unabated, people will feel more isolated and lonely in their own communities.
Australia is a nation of immigrants people found friends in the past
Re 'welfare state'

I didn't even say anything about the welfare state. What is it with brainwashed 'progressives' and simply making stuff up?
It was the post a few after yours who mentioned it as a factor.
Basically the down trodden didnt have to beg to family and friends to eat when the Government paid them or something like that made them lonely

My wife earned more than me by heaps when she met me
So what?

Are you one of those idiots who cannot understand the difference between isolated exceptions and general trends?

Australia is a nation of immigrants people found friends in the past
In the past, the immigration was predominantly of a culturally similar background (i.e. UK).

There's a reason why Chinese tend to buy in the same suburbs as one another, why Springvale is Vietnamese, and why white people tend to live in the same area as one another when they go to China, Vietnam, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back