Does Beer Go Bad If It Goes From Cold To Warm and Cold Again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
My experience has been is that it doesn’t taste right. Others say that this is a myth. Can anyone give their own experiences on this matter?

Ive done this a few times (stubbies), tasted no different to me.

What is the general time after the use by date? You've got at least a few months correct?
Most beers I’ve consumed are no good not long after the used by date.

Why would you let a beer go from cold to warm to cold again lol. Drink the bludger
Who the fu** lets their beer get warm?

Priorities!
It was left over piss from a function and my cousin was storing it at the function centre he manages. I said that I’d buy the 72 cans for $100 that he quoted. The fridge died and now they’re hot you smart campaigners! 😉

It was left over piss from a function and my cousin was storing it at the function centre he manages. I said that I’d buy the 72 cans for $100 that he quoted. The fridge died and now they’re hot you smart campaigners! 😉

So you bought second hand beer from another Lebbo?

Wise investment strategy 🤣

Last edited:
Well pop those tops and get rat arsed my friend because they are going to taste like s**t the more you wait. Deadset I want to watch your posting transform from logical to Leeda after sinking those 70 bad boys 👌

So you bought second hand beer from another Lebbo?

Wise investment strategy 🤣
Well pop those tops and get rat arsed my friend because they are going to taste like s**t the more you wait. Deadset I want to watch your posting transform from logical to Leeda after sinking those 70 bad boys 👌
I haven’t and won’t be paying for them. Possession is 9/10ths of the law in my book and he still has them.

I haven’t and won’t be paying for them. Possession is 9/10ths of the law in my book and he still has them.
Did this "friend" call you out of the blue and say he had grog for sale? Was his name Guido Hatsis? If it was don't do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cans are fine. Stubbies that get warm and then cold again should be ok if not exposed to too much light. Which is why pubs that keep stubbies in glass front fridges with fluro lights on them should be shot. Beer goes as foxy as cats piss.

Don't really understand the issue, I generally drink the beer before it has time to land on the coaster so not a chance of catching the breeze.

$100 for 3 cartons of 2nd hand beer? Where's the mates rates in that deal? He saw you comin bro...

P.S It will be fine to drink.

Did this "friend" call you out of the blue and say he had grog for sale? Was his name Guido Hatsis? If it was don't do it
Yeh mate. Do not talk over me, ok! :D

Ive done this a few times (stubbies), tasted no different to me.

What is the general time after the use by date? You've got at least a few months correct?
I have had a TED's freeze in the back part of an old fridge , when the ice melted I put it back in the fridge to cool, and I couldn't pick a difference, but that Tooheys extra dry.
Other dry brands I think are brewed with what they call the cold filter system and maybe it's different.

Look that is a guess I don't know for sure, but the beer tasted the same. I have had other older brands become flat after freezing?

My experience has been is that it doesn’t taste right. Others say that this is a myth. Can anyone give their own experiences on this matter?
Depends on the type of beer. What you are saying reminds me of chill haze forming permanent haze. Basically when beer is cooled during maturation it forms a chill haze. As it warms this haze disappears, but reforms when chilled. If chill haze is present it will form permanent haze at room temperature. Once formed it will oxidise/age quicker.

Your macro breweries (and others depending) will chill the beer after fermentation, allow cool haze to form so it can then be filtered cold. This helps prevent permanent haze. Their beers are designed to maintain a long shelf life.

However, beer is best drink fresh, and any increase in temperature by 10°C will rapidly increase the aging process. Beer is best stored cold to prevent this.

So the cooling, warming and cooling may not be an issue per se, but the warming definitely would. It's just a matter of people have the palate to pick it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back