Does Dimma need to pull his head in, along with others, over the G versus Docklands?

Remove this Banner Ad

The way they go on about Richmond fans not going to Docklands for one game a year is embarrassing to other Richmond fans elsewhere I think. It smacks of privilege and over entitlement and frankly some fans have had it too easy.

The only soul is the soul of Baker, Dusty and our other players taking it up to GWS on the day.

I have to admit I have always been an interstate fan because I was born interstate and have never lived in Victoria let alone Melbourne but I have to admit I was surprised by the whinging that went on by some when some fans had to watch Richmond on the TV versus the game during co-vid last year. Some I think need to harden up.

It sounds to me like some Richmond fans in Melbourne who refuse to go to Docklands are too precious to be honest.

Nothing is more pure than RCD shirking the pressure and kicking it through the sticks with height and momentum for his second goal. Thats what its all about for me!! I would watch that back of the black stump if I had to!!
Richmond fans have reserved seats at the G. At Docklands to get a decent seat costs a further amount most are not willing to pay. Simple!
Games against interstate clubs, unless close, have no atmosphere. Our support base is primarily in the SE suburbs and Docklands isn't on the right side of town.

Let clubs like Carlton and Essendon who signed lucrative deals for the Docklands to be their home forgo their MCG games (which are usually blockbuster) and support their chosen home ground venue. * Docklands and the AFL. When we were struggling they gave us nothing in financial help. Now they want us to support their lemon of a stadium that costs us in the way of lost revenue. Plus Dimma is correct, the place has no sole.

I went to the game. Got to agree with Dimma, it is a shitty ground. Like watching the game in a Bunnings warehouse.
I'm not sure if anyone else commented , but, the lighting is dismal. NO lights covering the centre of the ground. Very hard to see what's going on when play is on the opposite wing. Did anyone else think this?
Lighting is disgraceful.

It's always a pain in the arse getting out. Much easier to catch the train.
When it’s just me I do but when I’m with the better half we drive
She gets pretty bad anxiety and public transport isn’t an option unfortunately

I was there on Saturday, but don’t underestimate the train replacement factor. After Round 1, they had replacement busses on the way home on my train line, and we had to wait about 40 minutes for a bus, out in the cold. On Saturday night that would have been absolutely awful. Had there been bus replacements on my train line, no way would I have gone.

I think the reaction to Dimma's remarks has been absurd.

Talk about a monumental bout of pearl clutching over something that anybody on the planet should have known even before Dimma said a word.

In my view, the energy would be better spent trying to work out why Richmond people don't want to go to Docklands and fixing the problem but instead it's turned into an absolutely classic case of shooting the messenger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm, they took away the beautiful Waverley park to create this crap AFL at its best. Instead of putting money and beautifying that stadium, they left it to waste. Only been to marvel once and never will go again. We were up top and could not even see the players near the boundary line. Could not even see the umpire through the ball in lol
Whoever created this stadium and likes it will go for a check-up.

Biggest issue for me was the ticketing.

1. As of Saturday morning they were still charging members $10 to sit on level 1 despite knowing stuff all was turning up when the whole ground should've been made GA.

2. The fact that once it went to public sales on the Wednesday ordinary joe public without a membership could choose the exact spot he/she wanted to sit in, something a tiger GA member couldn't.....oh and joe public paid less for that seat also.

3. My group all got our GA tickets at no extra cost and went and sat on level 1 anyway, up yours AFL and vic government because I was told that things would be back to normal from round 11 but that bullshit 1 case has spooked the s**t out of the government and now these stupid measures will remain for the rest of the year, also the tune has changed from cards will be back in 2022 to we hope cards are back.

The lighting is one of the worst parts of Etihad. It looks very artificial, and I find it incredibly hard to see / identify the players in comparison to the other grounds around Australia I've been to.

I think the roof open helps marginally.

My take on things.

I couldn't attend because I had sick kids, and the fact that there were no trains running to southern cross cemented the deal for me.

I do agree with Hardwick that Marvel Stadium has no soul, but we have to play one home game there. No point answering the way he did because people are just slagging us off now (what's new?).

Mmmm
I'm known as a bit of a diplomat at work and so am not sure the way Dimma commented was ideal.

Could have answered the question along the lines:
"look, personally I prefer the MCG, the players prefer the MCG and the fans certainly prefer the MCG - it is our home. However we understand that we are obliged to play a home game here at Marvel and so are happy to do so. In terms of the crowd, I would suggest the authorities look at the public transport difficulties for fans to get here as well as the widely documented ticketing difficulties that are frustrating and turning away fans this year".

All in hindsight though...

Not too fussed...

No.

You know whats funny?

AFL and the supporters love to s**t on Richmond people - then cry a river when we don't want to turn up and give you our money. The club has 100,000 members - so if we turn up or not means nothing to the clubs bottom line. At the moment, i love the club, not the game or the comp. It sucks. s**t umpiring, clear bias happening week in, week out, tainted drafts and academy programs. They honestly couldn't be doing more to support "growth markets" over foundation clubs. We are lucky to have broken through, but a lot of clubs have suffered for decades from this.

Maybe the AFL needs to not take the richmond supporters coin for granted, huh? Maybe you should start treating your best customers better instead of nuturing markets the dont care less about footy. Not all about "growth markets" AFL

What nerve would any other company have to piss on their customers for not buying ONE on their products, even though they are the biggest buyer overall? Ridiculously arrogant of the AFL to think we HAVE to go anywhere just because they told us to.

I think Dimma has had jack of playing Mr Nice guy. He knows that this year it is a back to the wall win - us against the world and history - or the end of the road & a rebuild of sorts. * the AFL for taking our business for granted

Looking ahead to the 2022 fixture and we know how the AFL love to react to complaining in regards to the tigers.

We will get saints, dogs and norf all at marvel as well as the home game so that's 4 games

MCG will take care of 13 games so we are now sitting at 17 total games.

Which leaves us with 5 interstate games down from 6 trips in 2021.

We just traded an interstate game for a game at marvel vs norf effectively if the AFL takes the bait.

No.

You know whats funny?

AFL and the supporters love to sh*t on Richmond people - then cry a river when we don't want to turn up and give you our money. The club has 100,000 members - so if we turn up or not means nothing to the clubs bottom line. At the moment, i love the club, not the game or the comp. It sucks. sh*t umpiring, clear bias happening week in, week out, tainted drafts and academy programs. They honestly couldn't be doing more to support "growth markets" over foundation clubs. We are lucky to have broken through, but a lot of clubs have suffered for decades from this.

Maybe the AFL needs to not take the richmond supporters coin for granted, huh? Maybe you should start treating your best customers better instead of nuturing markets the dont care less about footy. Not all about "growth markets" AFL

What nerve would any other company have to piss on their customers for not buying ONE on their products, even though they are the biggest buyer overall? Ridiculously arrogant of the AFL to think we HAVE to go anywhere just because they told us to.

I think Dimma has had jack of playing Mr Nice guy. He knows that this year it is a back to the wall win - us against the world and history - or the end of the road & a rebuild of sorts. fu** the AFL for taking our business for granted
This is what's annoying me
People are annoyed at us not turning up. We provide a pretty simple condition which will make more turn up. Answer is no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back