Does GWS have the most talented/deep player squad?

Remove this Banner Ad

The depth is 'scarier' than the best 22, IMO.

Look at the players out today. Any other side with those names out would be full of first year 3rd round picks and journeymen. We were missing just Naitanui and Shuey in the middle and looked like a WAFL side at the clearances.

Hawthorn through rebuilding and injuries fielded the following on Friday:

Howe (pick 31, 2014)
Brand (66, 2012)
Hardwick (44, 2015)
Cousins (rookie listed)
Henderson (DFA)
Willsmore (2014 RD)
Whitecross (journeyman)
Vickery (lost a bet)

These are the sort of players that fill most teams' 25-40 bracket.

As for people writing off the next 5 premierships - obviously GWS have the best list by a country mile. But you don't need to be the most talented team to beat GWS. You need to be the best playing team for 3 hours in September. The other teams will have 2 shots at GWS this year. If one of those shots hit, GWS lose. Simples.

Nothing's pre-ordained. Nothing's easy. You have to earn finals wins no matter how deep your list is.

Thread number 30987.
0286c5941555a58a1e4cd4114a458546.gif

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Thanks for going all Tough Man Tony Abbott on them by the way

Fair enough, I watched them put us to the sword when we were pretty much full strength.

Melbourne beat them? They also beat St Kilda, who beat us...

I seriously just don't understand why anyone would say that we're a lock for the flag. We'll be there or there abouts, no doubt, but ours to lose? Or dead set locks? Not by a very long way.
Geez man about time you bloody owned it.......

Yes GWS have been gifted with a seriously good list.

Yes GWS need to win a flag with this list or people will view it as a failure.

Stop watering it down you are not fooling anyone !!

As for people writing off the next 5 premierships - obviously GWS have the best list by a country mile. But you don't need to be the most talented team to beat GWS. You need to be the best playing team for 3 hours in September. The other teams will have 2 shots at GWS this year. If one of those shots hit, GWS lose. Simples.

Nothing's pre-ordained. Nothing's easy. You have to earn finals wins no matter how deep your list is.
I'm sure there's a universe where this post makes perfect sense, it's just not this one.

Bulldogs walked in a 40 point win over a finals contender, and their VFL team won by 99 points and featured 5 premiership players.

Would happily back the Dogs if they happen to come up against the Giants in the finals.

Bulldogs walked in a 40 point win over a finals contender, and their VFL team won by 99 points and featured 5 premiership players.

Would happily back the Dogs if they happen to come up against the Giants in the finals.
:D You're entitled to to do that of course. Please try and infuence any Bulldogs supporters you know. We want them confident, if they make the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure there's a universe where this post makes perfect sense, it's just not this one.
Fairly straight forward post. The most talented team doesn't always win - which could happen by another side playing well in either the prelim or GF to knock out the Giants.

They will be top by 6:45pm this Saturday and they will stay there for the rest of the year.

Hahaha ****. Picks 2, 1, 3, 7, 7, pre selection, 14, 24, 29 and 1.

******* ridiculous.

You cannot really use the original draft pick numbers of Deledio, Griffen and Scully to slate GWS - they had no say in when they were picked.

We do have a great list, developed and traded utilising the start up concessions se were given. Those concessions ended a year prematurely last year, from this year on we have the same list size and cap as every other club. We clearly lost depth the last couple of years ax nd have had to trade out playets like Lachie Plowman, Curtly Hampton, Tom Bugg, Jarred Pickett and James Stewart who are all probably better off and now playing AFL at other clubs. We've lost a few like Cam Macarthy, Caleb Marchbank and I guess Tom Boyd ( not sold he would have been good to keep after the playing group asked he be .traded, but we clearly wanted to keep him).
Our reserve side has been the really scary one the last few years at times, but will be mostly fillers with few listed players this year.
For me the real story of the last couple of weeks is that guys like Sam Reid, Mat De Boer, Tim Mohr, Harry Perryman and Tim Mohr have stepped up and represented the club very well. We eagerly await Tendai Muzungu regaining fitness in the next week or two and expect him to play as well.
I'm biased but I think our club took a step forward when guys like that came in and did their job when we needed them too. Their support for the undeniable talent we have is a sign of maturity in my view.

:D You're entitled to to do that of course. Please try and infuence any Bulldogs supporters you know. We want them confident, if they make the 8.

Lol, what? Are you one of those fans that thinks their opinions have any bearing on how the team plays? Explains a lot actually.

I actually do think you need draft concessions to make a brand-new side (not that I think creating this brand-new side was necessary in the slightest ... the Spotless crowds tell that story). But that number of picks, with academies and so much surplus that GWS can play finals and yet still get top-5 picks through trading offcuts? Bloody hell that's over-the-top.

Lol, what? Are you one of those fans that thinks their opinions have any bearing on how the team plays? Explains a lot actually.

Old mate Bokky is highly influential and smarter than just about everyone - just ask him, he'll tell you.

GWS has good depth. No surprises. Dogs have ok depth as well, if anything slightly more even but less talented.

Be interesting seeing how it all plays out. Obviously Dogs have to make it to the finals first.

Crows and Geelong can have a day out against anyone but may not cover the loss of key of players as well as GWS and the Dogs.

You misread me
I just want to see the looks on their faces when it happens

Bulldogs beat adelaide in the preliminary.
Giants beat some other team in preliminary.
Everybody gets the Grand Final supporters want to see.fast,flowing and talented football.
That would be huge - the build up would be incredible.

The redemption factor from last year, Sam Reid & Griff named in the GWS side and Tom Boyd for the Bulldogs, Leon Cameron & Bevo head to head as ex Bulldog players. Jeremy Cameron out to erase his last finals game, Stevie J (who is made for finals) back after missing the prelim, Bobby & Wallis get their shot at a medallion, even Cloke with a point to prove.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back