Does GWS have the most talented/deep player squad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephen Coniglio

Brett Deledio

Ryan Griffen

Nick Haynes

Jacob Hopper

Adam Kennedy

Devon Smith

Stevie J

Rory Lobb

Tom Scully
FB: Shaw Davis Haynes
HB: A. Kennedy Tomlinson Williams
C: Scully Ward Whitfield
HF: Deledio Cameron Greene
FF: Smith Patton Lobb
Foll: Mumford Kelly Shiel
Int: Coniglio

3 out of: Johnson, Griffen, Hopper, Wilson, Taranto, M Kennedy, Corr, S Reid

Not sure you can get all 10 in though can you? I'd pick the extra runner off half back in Wilson over someone like Griffen. And I'd pick Taranto over Hopper in a half forward role. Stevie J staying in the team is reliant on him getting in far better form than he was to start this year (Collingwood game aside).

Impressive work for the Giants to have their best road win with so many good players out. But I think it was able to happen because they lost guys who could be replaced structurally and not the guys who really make the Giants structures work - by that I mean Mumford, Phil Davis, Shaw, Greene and Cameron. Coniglio is a very important player but with Shuey out that was negated, the Eagles didn't have the mids to need the Giants best defensive mid doing his thing.

Credit to the Giants and De Boer, Mohr, Reid and Lloyd as depth fringe players coming in and doing a role.

Bringing 5 first round picks out of the reserves to cover - Himmelberg, Corr, Perryman, Taranto, M Kennedy would make other teams incredibly jealous. That's really what this thread is about. No other team in the comp has stashed multiple first rounders year on end so even when they are at the top of the ladder they are still sprinkling new superb talent in.

I'm sure there's a universe where this post makes perfect sense, it's just not this one.

Didn't think I was saying anything complicated, Bokonon.

Just saying that it's ridiculous to pretend that GWS premierships are inevitable. Another team just has to play better than them on the day in the PF or GF and they're out.

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

Bulldogs walked in a 40 point win over a finals contender, and their VFL team won by 99 points and featured 5 premiership players.

Would happily back the Dogs if they happen to come up against the Giants in the finals.

St Kilda a finals contender this season? On what planet exactly? Even we flogged them and we are playing awful football this season.

Actually think the Crows have the best chance as the weakness GWS will face will be in their defence with no Buntine, etc

St Kilda a finals contender this season? On what planet exactly? Even we flogged them and we are playing awful football this season.

Actually think the Crows have the best chance as the weakness GWS will face will be in their defence with no Buntine, etc

This is a thread about the almighty and powerful GWS. Which team pummelled them a few weeks back and were only some % outside the 8 before this week (and are still only 1 game out with a soft draw to come). Yep, that'd be the Saints.

Does GWS have the most talented/deep player squad?

images

The giants aren't missing 11 of their best 22 it is more like 11 of 26.

Best 22 would be

Shaw Davis Wilson
Williams Tomlinson Haynes
Scully Ward Kelly
Deledio Cameron Greene
Smith Patton Lobb
Mumford Shiel Coniglio

Griffen Corr Whitfield Taranto

Emerg
Johnson
Hopper
A Kennedy
Buntine

A case could be made for Johnson over Taranto but defensively he is shot and the brilliant Stevie J is too infrequent.

The 7 best 22 injuries hurt more cause the next 4 in line are also out. The side that knocked off the eagles still contained the core of the best 22 and most importantly the first choice spine

Yes. 20 first round picks on the list. And that excludes Shiel, Cameron, Wilson who were underage selections.

Team today:

B: Aidan Corr (pick 14, 2012), Phil Davis (uncontracted signing), Tim Mohr (pre draft selection)
HB: Heath Shaw (traded for Taylor Adams), Adam Tomlinson (9, 2011), Zac Williams (54, 2013 RD)
C: Nathan Wilson (underage selection), Josh Kelly (2, 2013), Lachie Whitfield (1, 2012)
HF: Matthew Kennedy (13, 2015), Jeremy Cameron (underage selection), Callan Ward (uncontracted signing)
F: Harrison Himmelberg (16, 2015), Jonathon Patton (1, 2011), Tim Taranto (2, 2016)
Foll: Shane Mumford (traded for 35, 2013), Dylan Shiel (underage selection), Toby Greene (11, 2011)

I/C: Matt de Boer (58, 2016), Harry Perryman (14, 2016), Daniel Lloyd (26, 2016 RD), Sam J. Reid (8, 2016 RD)

Outs:

Stephen Coniglio (2, 2011)
Brett Deledio (traded for future first round pick - former pick 1)
Ryan Griffen (traded with pick 6 for Tom Boyd - former pick 3)
Nick Haynes (7, 2011)
Jacob Hopper (7, 2015)
Adam Kennedy (pre draft selection)
Devon Smith (14, 2011)
Stevie J (traded future 5th round pick)
Rory Lobb (29, 2013)
Tom Scully (uncontracted signing - former pick 1)
Matthew Buntine (5, 2011)

+

Will Setterfield (5, 2016)
Isaac Cumming (20, 2016)

Nobody wants to see Marshall no more, they want Shady, I'm chopped liver.
Well if you want Shady this is what I'll give ya, a little bit of weed mixed with some hard liquor!

Accurate.

You can dismiss based on jealousy, tall poppy syndrome etc. but the list make-up of GWS is widely known.

Gaff (4, 2010), Sheed (11, 2013), Masten (3, 2007), Naitanui (2, 2008), Duggan (11, 2014), Kennedy (4, 2005), Jetta (14, 2009), Hurn (13, 2005), Venables (13, 2016).

That's all the first round picks on our list, 9 from a spread of 12 drafts. Gaff at pick 4 came from finishing last, Kennedy and Masten came from losing Judd, Jetta came from trading out Sinclair. Redden and Wellingham came back the other way for late first round picks. We've been OK over that period. Some top 4 finishes, some bottom 4 finishes. I don't think we're any more hard done by than most teams in terms of draft access.

GWS has:

2004: 1, 3
2008: 10
2009: 1
2011: 1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 11, 14
2012: 1, 14
2013: 2
2015: 7, 13, 16
2016: 2, 5, 14, 20

+ Cameron, Shiel, Kennedy (bolded not drafted by GWS)

This is after already losing:

2011: 3, 4, 10, 13
2012: 2, 3, 12
2013: 1, 14
2014: 4, 6, 7

+ Treloar

That is an insane number of darts at the first round dart board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cannot really use the original draft pick numbers of Deledio, Griffen and Scully to slate GWS - they had no say in when they were picked.

It's not 'slating', just pointing out the reality. It's a lot easier to build depth when you get multiple stabs at the first round each year.

Deledio and Griffen were traded in as experienced players, so they are no different to Shaw, Mumford etc. in that respect. Scully they got for free as a #1 pick with 2 years in the system. No non-expansion side would ever get that access to a player.

Accurate.

You can dismiss based on jealousy, tall poppy syndrome etc. but the list make-up of GWS is widely known.

Gaff (4, 2010), Sheed (11, 2013), Masten (3, 2007), Naitanui (2, 2008), Duggan (11, 2014), Kennedy (4, 2005), Jetta (14, 2009), Hurn (13, 2005), Venables (13, 2016).

That's all the first round picks on our list, 9 from a spread of 12 drafts. Gaff at pick 4 came from finishing last, Kennedy and Masten came from losing Judd, Jetta came from trading out Sinclair. Redden and Wellingham came back the other way for late first round picks. We've been OK over that period. Some top 4 finishes, some bottom 4 finishes. I don't think we're any more hard done by than most teams in terms of draft access.

GWS has:

+ Treloar

We were staring a new club, building a new list. You cant compare our picks to existing clubs. You just can't.

If you want to be annoyed though watch a replay of the 2012 draft though, I still reckon the Lions got a pick onside the top ten becuase Sjeedy's getting on and needed a break from the stage. I often do when I need a boost.

Accurate.

GWS has:

+ Treloar

Still boring and has been gone iver 1000s of times.

It seems everytime we win some mulpet starts up a thread about the Might Of The Giants. A monster.

Though usually not an interstater. Mostly vics.

Really gutted you that the Eagles lost eh?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

We were staring a new club, building a new list. You cant compare our picks to existing clubs. You just can't.

If you want to be annoyed though watch a replay of the 2012 draft though, I still reckon the Lions got a pick onside the top ten becuase Sjeedy's getting on and needed a break from the stage. I often do when I need a boost.
He forgets how his own club started and the domination they had due to their start ups.

Still boring and has been gone iver 1000s of times.

It seems everytime we win some mulpet starts up a thread about the Might Of The Giants. A monster.

Though usually not an interstater. Mostly vics.

Really gutted you that the Eagles lost eh?

Another typical reply from you, someone points out the obscene leg up you received and you return fire by calling him a muppet

Truth hurts I suppose

The biggest question is how will your supporter base increase after you have won a *flag

But yeah you think you are on even terms with the rest of the comp now because of your reduced cap size and lack of access to gifted first round picks

Poor loves

Yes of course they do. Any other side wouldn't even be in the 8 with that amount of injuries.

Also what's with how defensive, deluded and abusive GWS fans are on here?

Another typical reply from you, someone points out the obscene leg up you received and you return fire by calling him a muppet

Truth hurts I suppose

The biggest question is how will your supporter base increase after you have won a *flag

But yeah you think you are on even terms with the rest of the comp now because of your reduced cap size and lack of access to gifted first round picks

Poor loves
No no no no no!
We.dont beleive the rest of comp will ever be our equals, you misunderstand completely.

Truth hurts I suppose

Poor loves

Lol yay Pew is here. I thought i could smell your foul stench when i was brought into this thread.

Another typical reply from you.

To be fair i get the hate, Freo was screwed massively in their start up, but i dont give a s**t.
The fact is what they did get they ****ed up so they probably would of done the same if they got any more.

Club was setup with all your clubs handing us this. We then and now have to fit them all under the cap and list size.

If we are such a fake organisation then surely our players would bolt at 1st chance to "real" clubs, especially with more money on offer.

But they dont. Ouch.

So while you cry into your freo gf shirts and look to blame everybody else.

I will be enjoying replaying the last 3 weeks games and looking forward to the Bombers. Loving that Western Sydney has a footy team to enjoy.

That and reading posts like yours. Lol

Thanks. Its put a smile on my face while working tonight.

Buntine wouldn't even be a part of their best back six. He's the defensive version of Jon O'Rourke - mediocre footballers who people continue to overrate based on draft position rather than actual output.

No no no no no!
We.dont beleive the rest of comp will ever be our equals, you misunderstand completely.

I really hope you stick around when the inevitable fall occurs, I realise you cant see that far ahead but history has a way of repeating itself on a regular basis.

you aren't going to be propped up forever

Care to address the members/crowd issue after you win the first *flag ? will you creep up to 12,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back