Does it take too long for clubs to rebuild their lists?

Should the AFL system be tweaked to facilitate faster rebuilding of lists?

• Yes

Votes: 102 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 164 61.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure - I guess the question is whether that price is disproportionately high.

The idea of priority picks in the past was that if you had teams who were down the bottom for long enough, they'd get more bites of the cherry at the draft. The implementation of this was flawed, as it appeared to incentivise tanking, but the objective wasn't bad.
As a humble eagles fan... Are you enjoying the eagles rebuild?

I heard Leigh Matthews on this topic on 3AW. His take is that teams like Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong have benefited from trading in experienced players from other teams because these teams are perceived to still in the "premiership window". Struggling teams like Carlton have not really had that luxury and have had to rely on the Draft lottery. I say not really because bringing in castaways has not worked. That's why it is taking them so long to rebuild.

Now that Melbourne is an emerging team they have attracted a ready made player like Lever
have the hawks made finals from 2020-23?

How times change.

But sledging Fatso McRedAndBlackFacePaint aside, it doesn't take too long to rebuild their lists.

Dogs did OK in 2016 with a relatively new list. North's rebuild looks like taking three years (we're in year two) before we'd be looking at finals again.

Carlton and St Kilda and Melbourne have had all the possible help you can imagine - gifted multiple top end "priority picks". GIven massive AFL assistance right down to financing coaches.

No, stop tweaking the system.

Even when you try and equalizing everything possible, you can't actually MAKE teams good again.
This is fun to come back to.

if you keep going to the draft year after year then your rebuild starts again every year. You want to get there quicker then trade for ready made footballers instead of lottery picks.
Hawthorn are the masters of this yet every club thinks they know better. Hawthorn couldn't care less about the draft, they had one poor transition season and what a surprise here they are again up and about. Full respect to how Hawthorn go about their business.
What about the hawks now?

They have bottom out, you reckon their fans care? 4 flags the last 15 years. You could not provide a worse example. They do it better than everyone the last couple decades.
What number build are you guys on now?
you really are taking the p*** out of that are you?

Well since you know fremantle dockers that much, go find out yourself.

I think we're seeing with North, WCE and to lesser extents Haw and Adel that if you're forced to do a cut to the bone rebuild stripping it back to the core then yes it takes too long.

North today don't look like a club that's hit rock bottom yet.
Genuinely look like they'll get worse before they improve from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back