Does Lachie Neale have a genuine claim to being the best player in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, all of Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield, Bont, Cripps, Neale are much the same as pure midfielders since 19'. They would be the best 6 in the game, none of them are a stand out like Ablett jnr was during that 07-14 period. I wouldn't have an issue if you said Fyfe was the best or Danger was the best or Neale was the best etc. I would expect Cripps & Bont to start to create separation soon (as they get older and intot heir mid 20's and hit their peak, while Martin, Fyfe & Danger all hit 30+). Overall, I would say Fyfe has been the best and Danger the most consistent (from say 2010-2020).

My only criticism of Neale is hes not a noted goalkicker. You look at his stats as 160 game 80 goal player. The Fyfe/Danger/Martin trio are gamebreakers that are goal a game players or better. Fyfe is just under that though admitedly, but far closer than Neale. Even Bont is almost at that 1/1 ratio.

For me that goalkicking midfielder is the premier game breaker and match winner in the AFL. This goes back to Ablett and Judd at Eagles days, goals it whats elevates the great midfielders to the greatest ones.

You wouldn't "lock" a player who has been awarded two Brownlow Medals (literally the highest individual honor bestowed upon any player) in the top five players within the competition? Priceless.

Comprehension isn't obviously one of your strong suits. Try reading what I've written instead of getting salty that I'm not raving about one of Fremantle's players...

I said "depending on where you set the form and time parameters". If we are going by this season, Fyfe isn't in the top 5. If we take a more broad look at the players' body of work, then IMO he is right up there.

The fact that you think the Brownlow is the highest individual honour bestowed on a player is fine, I 100% disagree and consider the AFLPA MVP far more an accurate guide to a players standing in the game as well as my own thoughts. The 'midfielders' award given by the umps is fantastic and all, but it has glaring biases and weird results.

I felt like Fyfe needed 2 genuine defenders to stop him yesterday at Full Forward and he still pulled down a trademark grab

Neale doesn’t have that “pulling power”
Martin and Danger kick a s**t load of goals, but Fyfe would have a true shot at the Coleman probably if played there always

Remove this Banner Ad

Back