Does Nick's future need to be discussed?

What do we think?

• His current form warrants the media speculation.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • The speculation is over the top, surely a champion deserves an off night without comment

Votes: 39 49.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the greats can't play forever. Nick has been the pillar of the club for years but the time has come for him to step aside and give someone else the opportunity. This doesn't take away from what a champion he is or diminish anything he has done for us, but there are times when even the greats need to put the club above themselves.

I initially said that players like Nick deserve to go out on their own termss, but I was under the presumption that Nick would retire. He needs to have some self awareness. Since what we thought was that career ending ACL, hes looked incredibly proppy ever since. Will only get worse and is in danger of having a Gehrig like final year - forgettable.

Worried this is going to become an ugly saga for us. No doubt our greatest ever player, if it were to end on bad terms it would be nothing short of horrible

I can't help but think Nick is going to get an answer he isn't going to like.

Im not liking the fact that the media has gotten ahold of the fact that Roo is making the club decide before they may be ready to. Smells of his manager putting it out there forcing the clubs hand.

I think it potentially is 'awkward', even though most in here will blast any thought of that & the media for saying anything negative towards their club.

If they do want to stay, but the club doesn't want them too, that's not ideal. Especially if it becomes late and they don't get a proper sendoff.

Im not liking the fact that the media has gotten ahold of the fact that Roo is making the club decide before they may be ready to. Smells of his manager putting it out there forcing the clubs hand.
Don't think thats the case.

Looks like they've (club and Reiwoldts manager) have planned this meeting some time in advance and you'd expect an announcement next week.

Fits perfectly with what you'd anticipate for such a legend. He either has 4/5 weeks of notice when we can laud his achievements or clear space to concentrate on finals (if we are so lucky)

I wouldn't get to fussed about anything that's written in the media. Virtually anything anyone says can be manipulated to suit a writers angle.

Caroline Wilson to Nick: So you've planned this meeting since the start of the year ?

NR: Yeah that's right Caro. We were always going to look at my future towards the end of the season so we can assess form and the shape my body is in.

CW: So do you find it frustrating playing all season knowing the decision on your future will made late in the year?

NW: No not really but as it gets closer, you think about it more so you get a bit frustrated waiting for the meeting to be held.

EXCLUSIVE EXCLUSIVE EXCLUSIVE - Nick Reiwoldt frustrated by lack of action and Saints/Reiwoldt to hold crisis meeting this weekend!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coach stated last night no hurry to finalize anything, today media decide otherwise, nothing but low life scum trying to make a headline.

Media all over it as they always are... were discussing it first thing this morning as I woke up
"Riewoldt issues club an ultimatum".

The club can handle this two ways...classily as the Hawks did with Hodge, or disastrously as North did with Boomer.

Now based on the Saints' previous handling of all things in the media I dont have all that much confidence in the way they are going about this .

Roo says he wants to play on. If the club doesn't want that they need to let him know now, not draw it out for the next 6 weeks, out of respect for one of our greatest champions.

We always get slaughtered in the media and this has the potential to be another of those occasions which will be a real shame. I want the exiting of our champions done with class and respect.

Media all over it as they always are... were discussing it first thing this morning as I woke up

The club can handle this two ways...classily as the Hawks did with Hodge, or disastrously as North did with Boomer.

Now based on the Saints' previous handling of all things in the media I dont have all that much confidence in the way they are going about this .

Roo says he wants to play on. If the club doesn't want that they need to let him know now, not draw it out for the next 6 weeks, out of respect for one of our greatest champions.

We always get slaughtered in the media and this has the potential to be another of those occasions which will be a real shame. I want the exiting of our champions done with class and respect.
It's not that easy. We are in a awkward position where we are pushing for finals and Nick desperately wants another crack at a flag. Hodge knew he wouldn't play finals again and he had 4 cups in the cupboard.

Funny isnt it? Mark Stevens on twitter saying how refreshing it is to hear Dangerfield be frank in an interview.

You can see why players are guarded in their responses. Media sensationalises everything for the sake of clicks or ratings and then complain when players coaches etc use cliches and footyspeak.

Lets make this clear.

Different and varied opinions are great and what makes discussion forums like this so good. Many people means many different perspectives which adds to the group.
We each have our personal perspective / opinion but this does not necessarily make ours right and it certainly does not mean other perspectives are wrong.

Provided posts are put forward in a way that DOES NOT attack other posters all is good.

Kildonan Armitage2Riewoldt

Carry on!

Last edited:
My heart says stay on, but my brain is a hard no. The reality is that all stars eventually fade out.

Been a true champion of the club and of the game, however we as a club need to move past him.

I don't see us being a true contender next season, but would like us to be in 2019. To do that we need Nick's replacement (Paddy) and the team to gel without him.

Hopefully it is managed thoughtfully because I would hate for decision to leave a bad taste in Nicks mouth after such a long and committed service to Club we all love.

My heart says stay on, but my brain is a hard no. The reality is that all stars eventually fade out.

Been a true champion of the club and of the game, however we as a club need to move past him.

I don't see us being a true contender next season, but would like us to be in 2019. To do that we need Nick's replacement (Paddy) and the team to gel without him.

Hopefully it is managed thoughtfully because I would hate for decision to leave a bad taste in Nicks mouth after such a long and committed service to Club we all love.
Very well put, unless Battle and/or Marshall become very good AFL players we need Paddy for post Roo, no point having roo for an extra season just cos it's roo if it means we're effed for the future.

Very well put, unless Battle and/or Marshall become very good AFL players we need Paddy for post Roo, no point having roo for an extra season just cos it's roo if it means we're effed for the future.

I don't see how Riewoldt playing on for one more year means we'll be effed for the future, McCartin is still only young and has plenty of time left to develop.

It's not like Paddy is setting the world on fire even when he is fit so another year of development with a mix of VFL and AFL games wouldn't hurt him.

If Paddy had shown he's ready to take on the mantle and responsibility of being our no.1 key forward it might be a different story but he hasn't yet.

If Riewoldt wants to go on next year and the club forces him to retire or even worse he goes to another club for a year I'd be bitterly disappointed.

For me it's a no brainer that if he wants to go on next year and thinks his body will hold up then he gets another one year contract, he's earnt that right.

I do think Montagna should be given the tap on the shoulder this year though as he can be more easily replaced and his form has been on the decline.

I don't see how Riewoldt playing on for one more year means we'll be effed for the future, McCartin is still only young and has plenty of time left to develop.

It's not like Paddy is setting the world on fire even when he is fit so another year of development with a mix of VFL and AFL games wouldn't hurt him.

If Paddy had shown he's ready to take on the mantle and responsibility of being our no.1 key forward it might be a different story but he hasn't yet.

If Riewoldt wants to go on next year and the club forces him to retire or even worse he goes to another club for a year I'd be bitterly disappointed.

For me it's a no brainer that if he wants to go on next year and thinks his body will hold up then he gets another one year contract, he's earnt that right.

I do think Montagna should be given the tap on the shoulder this year though as he can be more easily replaced and his form has been on the decline.
Yeah not bad points. Just meant it means that it's more likely Paddy leaves if he's not getting consistent games due to Roo playing on.

On the idea of him showing he can be the number 1 forward, I'm not saying he has shown that, but I honestly believe that after that West Coast game, if Roo had missed an extra 2 or 3 weeks we would've seen the best footy we've seen from Paddy, and maybe our approach to that might be a bit different. The Brisbane game was so frustrating as we just kept kicking it to Roo literally no matter what.

Yeah not bad points. Just meant it means that it's more likely Paddy leaves if he's not getting consistent games due to Roo playing on.

On the idea of him showing he can be the number 1 forward, I'm not saying he has shown that, but I honestly believe that after that West Coast game, if Roo had missed an extra 2 or 3 weeks we would've seen the best footy we've seen from Paddy, and maybe our approach to that might be a bit different. The Brisbane game was so frustrating as we just kept kicking it to Roo literally no matter what.

I also think it's important Paddy gets as many AFL games as possible if fit as we don't want to lose him but his form needs to warrant getting AFL games too.

If his form isn't up to it then he only has himself to blame if he stays in the VFL just like any other player on our list, from what I've heard though Paddy seems happy at St Kilda and wants to remain loyal so hopefully he won't crack the shits and leave if he isn't getting as many AFL games as he wants.

The media speculation around him disgusts me. I understand that at his age, he doesn't have a whole lot of football left in him, there is always some speculation with older players. But what makes me even more disgusted is the way it's being spoken about (Damian Barrett I'm looking at you), and the fact that it's our own supporters creating most of that noise. He's arguably the greatest player we've ever had, there might never be another one as good as him. It also just so happens that when he's going, he's still our most influential player. So why get rid of him?

If he thinks he can still be a strong contributor to the side, give him another year. It would be a smaller contract, but money shouldn't be an issue for him (or the club for that matter). If we were down the bottom of the ladder and needed to pump games into the kids, then it's understandable that he might needed to be moved on. North Melbourne did it with Brent Harvey. But their list needed to be rebuilt, and ours doesn't. We are a side that should be expecting to play finals - in order to do so, we need the best players at our disposal to be playing every week. Is Nick Riewoldt one of our best 22 players? Absolutely he is.

He has enough credits in the bank in my opinion that when he sits down at the end of the year with the club and they ask him, Nick, what are you thinking and he tells them boys, I want to go around the block one more time then they should not even hesitate in handing him a one year deal. He's one of the greatest of all time, the saying 'you don't know what you have until it's gone' is one that will hit St Kilda supporters and the AFL word like a tonne of bricks.

When he does hang up the boots, it will be an incredibly sad day. I just hope that it's on his terms and not the football club's.
Aside from anything else we owe Rooney big time. He is a club champion and probably the most inspirational sainter ever. If he wants another spin around the block then he should get it. Nick is a Saint down to his bootstraps and I have no doubt that he would immediately step aside for the good of the club if he felt his form wasn't up to standard. He is a man of the upmost integrity who has put the club first during a long and distinguished career and I have no doubt he will continue that philosophy for the remainder of his life, it is part of his genome. My humbe opinion what Rooney wants Rooney gets, he won't let us down so let him decide, surely we owe our greatest superstar that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back