Does Nick's future need to be discussed?

What do we think?

• His current form warrants the media speculation.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • The speculation is over the top, surely a champion deserves an off night without comment

Votes: 39 49.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from anything else we owe Rooney big time. He is a club champion and probably the most inspirational sainter ever. If he wants another spin around the block then he should get it. Nick is a Saint down to his bootstraps and I have no doubt that he would immediately step aside for the good of the club if he felt his form wasn't up to standard. He is a man of the upmost integrity who has put the club first during a long and distinguished career and I have no doubt he will continue that philosophy for the remainder of his life, it is part of his genome. My humbe opinion what Rooney wants Rooney gets, he won't let us down so let him decide, surely we owe our greatest superstar that much.

???

3332-1406462596.jpg

Aside from anything else we owe Rooney big time. He is a club champion and probably the most inspirational sainter ever. If he wants another spin around the block then he should get it. Nick is a Saint down to his bootstraps and I have no doubt that he would immediately step aside for the good of the club if he felt his form wasn't up to standard. He is a man of the upmost integrity who has put the club first during a long and distinguished career and I have no doubt he will continue that philosophy for the remainder of his life, it is part of his genome. My humbe opinion what Rooney wants Rooney gets, he won't let us down so let him decide, surely we owe our greatest superstar that much.
Wayne Rooney is a champion, but he's moved on back to Everton sadly ;) Rooey on the other hand, yeah totally agree

We owe Riewoldt nothing, he has become a multi millionaire from our footy club, and rightly so. It is a job, he has been financially rewarded more than any other person in the clubs history for being a great employee.
What if he wasn't prepared to step aside for the good of the club? Imagine the scenes next year if he lost form so badly that we were put in a position where he should be dropped.
I have no doubt in my mind that Roo should retire, no good can come for anybody by him squeezing out another season on a wrecked 35yo body.
I'm not being disrespectful, he's been a champion, probably in the top 5 players in our history, but everything is pointing to the time being right for him to go out a champ. Let's hope when the time comes that the club has enough courage to call time if he's not prepared to do it himself.
The best interests of the club must come first, even before the yearnings of a modern day great.

We owe Riewoldt nothing, he has become a multi millionaire from our footy club, and rightly so. It is a job, he has been financially rewarded more than any other person in the clubs history for being a great employee.
What if he wasn't prepared to step aside for the good of the club? Imagine the scenes next year if he lost form so badly that we were put in a position where he should be dropped.
I have no doubt in my mind that Roo should retire, no good can come for anybody by him squeezing out another season on a wrecked 35yo body.
I'm not being disrespectful, he's been a champion, probably in the top 5 players in our history, but everything is pointing to the time being right for him to go out a champ. Let's hope when the time comes that the club has enough courage to call time if he's not prepared to do it himself.
The best interests of the club must come first, even before the yearnings of a modern day great.
Was about to write exactly this.

spot on

i've been with my employer for a long time, i dont get to dictate when i leave, sure i can leave of my own accord but i cant make them keep me if they dont want to and the demand that i should be able to would be laughed at (rightfully so)

atleast in roo's case he's been paid s**t loads more than us and he's been very fairly compensated for his work

I also think it's important Paddy gets as many AFL games as possible if fit as we don't want to lose him but his form needs to warrant getting AFL games too.

If his form isn't up to it then he only has himself to blame if he stays in the VFL just like any other player on our list, from what I've heard though Paddy seems happy at St Kilda and wants to remain loyal so hopefully he won't crack the shits and leave if he isn't getting as many AFL games as he wants.

Yep - just play roo and keep paddy at sandy

spot on

i've been with my employer for a long time, i dont get to dictate when i leave, sure i can leave of my own accord but i cant make them keep me if they dont want to and the demand that i should be able to would be laughed at (rightfully so)

atleast in roo's case he's been paid s**t loads more than us and he's been very fairly compensated for his work

Yeah but are you one of your employer's greatest employees of all time and a revered icon in the industry you work in like Riewoldt is?

You just can't compare normal jobs to a job as an AFL footballer anyway, people in normal jobs aren't worshipped by thousands of passionate supporters.

That's not what I said, I'm saying Paddy should get more AFL opportunities if he deserves them regardless of whether Riewoldt plays on next year or not.

It's up to him to produce the sort of form which makes him an automatic inclusion in the team, that means playing better than our other key forwards.

Even if Riewoldt retires that still shouldn't make him an automatic inclusion as he will still have competition from Membrey, Bruce, Marshall, Battle etc.

spot on

Yes you can. Of course you can.

Paddy is nowhere near it and cant get on the park.

Thank goodness for Bruce Marshall, and Battle coming through.

Nobody is bigger thsn the club.

Like MG said, best interests of the club.

Still hope Roo kills it against Sydney and males it even harder.

Yeah but are you one of your employer's greatest employees of all time and a revered icon in the industry you work in like Riewoldt is?

You just can't compare normal jobs to a job as an AFL footballer anyway, people in normal jobs aren't worshipped by thousands of passionate supporters.

That's not what I said, I'm saying Paddy should get more AFL opportunities if he deserves them regardless of whether Riewoldt plays on next year or not.

It's up to him to produce the sort of form which makes him an automatic inclusion in the team, that means playing better than our other key forwards.

Even if Riewoldt retires that still shouldn't make him an automatic inclusion as he will still have competition from Membrey, Bruce, Marshall, Battle etc.
I like to think I am ;-)

But point taken

Damian Barrett on the Footy Show tonight with a quote from Tom Petroro, Roo's manager...

Petroro denied absolutely that that they had given the club any ultimatum. Even though, according to Barrett, "Roo is desperate to play on", Petroro said "if it's over, it's over", meaning they would accept the decision of the club without making it into an ugly spectacle a la North Melbourne last year. Roo was concentrating on the rest of the season and hopefully playing finals.

Now that the issue has been clarified I hope the media will take a step back and let the club and Roo deal with it out of the public eye and in whatever time frame they wish....but I'm not holding my breath that the newshounds will do the right thing!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really would love the news now, would make the last 6-7 weeks much more enjoyable, I'd savour every moment and be an emotional mess when it ended, which I will be regardless. Bloke has literally been the club for so long, not old enough to remember a time when he wasn't our best player, now just feels right, I really don't want to be spending the next year hoping he'd retired already.

Paddy is nowhere near it and cant get on the park.

Thank goodness for Bruce Marshall, and Battle coming through.

Nobody is bigger thsn the club.

Like MG said, best interests of the club.

Still hope Roo kills it against Sydney and males it even harder.

I hope he does too

Of course he needs senior football. We spent pick 1 on him. Play him or lose him. That's the bottom line.
Unless you want another repeat of the Tom Lynch fiasco.

Agree that it is time. Change will be healthy. New era, new narrative.

But.......

"Probably in our top 5 in history"

C'mon, man.

Retire at the end of the season. Does he currently provide more output than Paddy? Yes but I think that is irrelevant. Paddy needs a place in the team if he is going to develop into what we hope he will develop into.

For Nick?....retire, get him into an assistant coach role at a friendly club and senior coach at Saints in 2020/21.
Pop him on the rookie list to play when paddy is injured.

I've got several responses to this one.

Response #1: If you want to really see awkward, think back to Fraser Gehrig's retirement... and then return... only to be soon dropped and retiring again. Frase was a champion, and beloved clubman, but struggled with the ability to let it go. As Riewoldt is still a friend of Gehrig, I hope he can learn a lesson from his former teammate.

Response #2. The media, and especially the vultures like Barrett, will make this sound like a debacle anyway, no matter what. Riewoldt could stand up in a Press Conference, hugging Alan Richardson in one arm and Ameet Bains in the other, in crutches and a moonboot, saying "I love the club, but I just can't go on, but I appreciate all the support these guys have given me in this decision." And the vultures would still claim that, "behind closed doors" (aka, with no corroborating evidence), "Riewoldt is seething, and desperate to play on, but Richo has spat it back in his face, and now there's a massive rift between the playing group, divided between the two of them."

They'll do it. We'll be unsurprised. We'll be ticked. The club will publicly deny it. Internally, the people in the club will roll their eyes, and think, "same ol', same ol'", and move on with their lives, and winning footy.

Stuff the media.

Response #3. Having said all that, I think it's useful to make a distinction between staying in the team, and staying on the list. I have no problem with Riewoldt staying on the list, and openly saying something like, "I reckon, with my knee the way it is, I've got about five games left in me. So the club will keep me here, should there be five games they want me for in 2018. As well as that, I'll be continuing to help develop tall forward proteges like Paddy, Battle, and Marshall, alongside the forward coaching staff."

Then, if Paddy or whoever gets injured, we wheel Roo out for a game or two. And if we get to finals, or even the big dance, we debate for hours whether to play Roo on here, and it's worth at least 20 pages of fun. Win, win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back