Does Nick's future need to be discussed?

What do we think?

• His current form warrants the media speculation.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • The speculation is over the top, surely a champion deserves an off night without comment

Votes: 39 49.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly didn't know which way I was leaning until I watched battle today . You can just see he's gonna make it so along with paddy membrey and Bruce it's time to move forward for the next 6-7 years . Saying that one of them may even be trade bait for a gun midfielder or backman.
Loved reiwoldt but it seems to be hanging on to the past a bit .

I think they have to retire, Roo and Joey. They've been champs but we should announce it now and give them the send off Lenny got. I thought that was well done.

The way I see it, if Nick wants to go on it's for 2018 only. Not 2019 or 2020, but 2018.

And if he does want to go on in 2018 it's for one reason and one reason only. And that is not to play more games, or even to play finals but to win a Premiership. That would be the only lure.

And if he starts to form the same view as many on this forum, especially after the last 2 weeks, that a premiership is an unrealistic proposition, then he may very well say that's it at the end of this season.

He wants a flag. We want a flag. We want him to have a flag.

Sadly the journey to that long awaited flag may have to continue without the champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been behind Roo all year wanting him to play next year . But after watching the last two games I think he should hang up the boots at the end of this season . Not only is he struggling to get a kick but lesser defenders are beating him now . No longer do they put their best defender on him. Against the Swans for example they had a first year player on him all game and Roo only took a couple of chest marks . He can't get to the contests that he used to get to . His body has let him down . He has lost a yard of pace and he can't burn off defenders any more . I don't want to see him playing a whole season like this next year.

When Membrey , Bruce and Paddy or even Battle are ready to play I think Roo will be lucky to be in the side . Sad but true.

I have been behind Roo all year wanting him to play next year . But after watching the last two games I think he should hang up the boots at the end of this season . Not only is he struggling to get a kick but lesser defenders are beating him now . No longer do they put their best defender on him. Against the Swans for example they had a first year player on him all game and Roo only took a couple of chest marks . He can't get to the contests that he used to get to . His body has let him down . He has lost a yard of pace and he can't burn off defenders any more . I don't want to see him playing a whole season like this next year.

When Membrey , Bruce and Paddy or even Battle are ready to play I think Roo will be lucky to be in the side . Sad but true.

It happens to us all mate.

Poor Roo. I'd hang them up on the basis of my teammates simply not being able to hit me on a lead. The kicking to poor Roo all night was nothing short of disgusting. Not even Buddy would stand a chance of taking a mark with our kicking let alone a 34yr old bloke with a bung knee

Doubt Roo would want to carry on for another year with low confidence that this group can carry him into another finals campaign before he retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other problem is, if Roo plays on and his form is not great, what do you do?

You can leave him out and play one of the talented young forwards, but how does Roo get back into the team?

After all .....

10nuijr.jpg

The end can come with an almighty hurry it would appear.

I'm starting to make peace with the idea of a Riewoldt and Montagna-less St. Kilda. Round 23 will be an emotional one

We have 5 games remaining. Riewoldt needs two games rest right now and then the final three to show if he still has the goods. He deserves that much.

He was averaging 10.6 marks last year. This year, after the knee injury, he is very up & down. And he's averaged 7.4 and that's inflated by some of his good games. He admitted that it takes him to Thursday to recover after the game.

I don't want him to be done, but he's done. Maybe his knee recovers or he has an op, but otherwise he's too restricted at the moment.

I think he should be rookied. Next year, rookies don't need to be elevated to play. So, it's just like moving him for salary cap purposes. He plays some games, and rests/rehabs other weeks.

Poor Roo. I'd hang them up on the basis of my teammates simply not being able to hit me on a lead.

If that was the criteria, he'd have retired in 2007. When they build his statue at Moorabbin, it will be him bending over and the ball landing a metre in front of him

Poor Roo. I'd hang them up on the basis of my teammates simply not being able to hit me on a lead. The kicking to poor Roo all night was nothing short of disgusting. Not even Buddy would stand a chance of taking a mark with our kicking let alone a 34yr old bloke with a bung knee
If that was the criteria, he'd have retired in 2007. When they build his statue at Moorabbin, it will be him bending over and the ball landing a metre in front of him
On average they hit him on the chest.

The average of course taking into account the equal amount of passes that go a metre over his head.

Hasn't been right since the knee injury, should have rested him, never though we would make finals after that first poor game against Melbourne. Essendon and Melbourne have passed us, hawthorn might next year.. we need a mini rebuild, roo, Gilbert, monty are not included.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we have a serious chance of landing two guns in the off-season (players the caliber of Kelly and Lever) then Roo should stick around for one last finals series. If it doesn't look like we are going to significantly improve the list next year then we will need to rely on natural improvement and developing the kids to contend again and he should hang up the boots.

Not sure it's really fair to say Roo had a bad game when none of the players delivering it to him could get the ball within coo-ee of him let alone his hands...

The other problem is, if Roo plays on and his form is not great, what do you do?

You can leave him out and play one of the talented young forwards, but how does Roo get back into the team?

After all .....

10nuijr.jpg
That's his problem if he decides to go around again.

Said it more than once - if we agree to him playing next year - its on our terms. If we aren't playing finals you won't be playing the second half of the season.

Anyway its all academic - I expect an announcement this week that this year is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back