Does Paul Hogan get enough respect?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Dave Allen, he used to tell old jokes with a glass of whiskey and a smoke, we were allowed to watch him but we couldn't watch Dukes of Hazzard.

I used to argue with my mum to watch The Benny Hill Show and my mum would be like it's too smutty but you can watch Dave Allen tell smutty jokes.

For some reason Dave Allen had some sort of exemption with housewives back then.

I eventually got my way with The Benny Hill Show, it took a lot of tantrums though to get that over the line, I think I just broke my mum's spirit in the end.

And boy was it worth it, champagne comedy.

Last edited:
Benny Hill was just stupid funny. but nothing actually clever so not really missing much.
To miss Dave Allen or Paul Hogan shows back then would have been cruel.
I think my parents used to watch The Two Ronnies which was much more family friendly comedy show.

The impact Strop had on Australian Culture can't be overstated I reckon. How would World Series Cricket have gone without him I wonder? It still would've gone, but maybe less successful and Kerry maybe would've had to have cut his losses? We wouldn't have had C'mon Aussie C'mon though.

Went and saw Hoges live a few years back. Row D :D
The bit where he grabbed a torch and shone it into the audience looking for tax agents was pretty funny.
Still have the Leo w***er (oh come on!, Really!?) stubby holder I bought that night.

Apparently Luigi the Unbelievable was inspired by a bloke Hoges worked with.

I loved his characters:
  1. Nigel
  2. Detective Sergeant Donger (here to rough you up)
  3. Arthur Dunger
  4. The wino (back when substance abuse and homelessness was funny)
  5. etc.

The impact Strop had on Australian Culture can't be overstated I reckon. How would World Series Cricket have gone without him I wonder? It still would've gone, but maybe less successful and Kerry maybe would've had to have cut his losses? We wouldn't have had C'mon Aussie C'mon though.
Hoges was a director too
Austin Robertson when he was promoting his book[36] Cricket Outlaws[37] stated how much the directors were paid for World Series Cricket. John Cornell - $70,000, Paul Hogan - $20,000 and Austin Robertson - $10,000.

Might have not been the same without the Playboy models walking around in White Bikinis in the crowd pretending to be fans and getting the drunken yobos excited

Uncle Malcolm helped get Playboy to Uncle Kerry

Paul Hogan would get more respect if his 'comedy' hadn't aged like s**t.

Actually, aged like s**t is a bit off as I'm sure people in the 1970s and 1980s didn't think much of sitcom Sam Newman.

Plugger35 you're closer to 40 than 60 and should be embarrassed you made this thread.

Last edited:

I loved his characters:
  1. Nigel
  3. Arthur Dunger
  5. etc.
ha ha, forgot about Luigi the Unblievable.
The kid Nigel was good too,

Went and saw Hoges live a few years back. Row D :D
The bit where he grabbed a torch and shone it into the audience looking for tax agents was pretty funny.
Still have the Leo w***er (oh come on!, Really!?) stubby holder I bought that night.

I loved his characters:
  1. Nigel
  3. Arthur Dunger
  5. etc.

The old winos running down the beach to the Chariots of Fire theme song was a memorable sketch, would never be shown these days due to all the PC wowsers.

Actually, aged like s**t is a bit off as I'm sure people in the 1970s and 1980s didn't think much of sitcom Sam Newman.

Plugger35 you're closer to 40 than 60 and should be embarrassed you made this thread.

It may not have aged well but The Paul Hogan Show was the best thing on tv in the earlu 80s.

There wasn't a lot of choice back then though, we only had 3 channels in Perth so it was either watch Hoges or watch A Country Practice or Four Corners.

There was none of these fancy digital channels like 7mate or 9Gem back then and no Netflix either, you were lucky if you had a video recorder.

The old winos running down the beach to the Chariots of Fire theme song was a memorable sketch, would never be shown these days due to all the PC wowsers.

It may not have aged well but The Paul Hogan Show was the best thing on tv in the earlu 80s.

There wasn't a lot of choice back then though, we only had 3 channels in Perth so it was either watch Hoges or watch A Country Practice or Four Corners.

There was none of these fancy digital channels like 7mate or 9Gem back then and no Netflix either, you were lucky if you had a video recorder.

and it was snowing outside and we had no shoes

It's simple comedy from before my time that's naturally very aged, but it's not bad either and watching now still provides a few chuckles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingswood Country was the other big Aussie comedy show in the early 80s and I don't think Ted Bullpit's racist jokes would go down too well today either.
It was average in it's time too. I actually thought it was from before the 1980's.

When Paul Hogan show kind of finished up I then had to find comedies like Blackadder, Not the Nine O'Clock News too get a laugh. Then Mother and Son

That scene looks like it was done around where I used to live. Walking along that path one day woman jogs by, did a double take and realised it was Cathy Freeman....

Yep 73 to 84 .
Wiki says 12 seasons .
Yeah, was just looking there myself.
I do not trust it.
I struggle to remember how many times the show was on each year I watched. I was probably watching it in late 70's to early 80's. Maybe it was on Sunday nights after Sixty Minutes. Seemed like it was on a Sunday night from memory but I cannot recall if it was every week or every few weeks. Be hard to come up with continual skits from week to week. I suspect it was not regular and maybe on 6 to 10 times a year at best and after mid 80's maybe only a special show once or twice a year with a theme, like going to London to do one. Used to take piss out of other tv shows and music artists of the time. Hence why these things have to date. Used to take piss out of the cricket and even the Ayalltollah or whatever his name was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back