carlyp

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 19, 2002
In sin............. ;-)
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The West Coast Eagles
Another positive to come out of the game is Peter Matera! He seemed to have abit of a spring in his step that I havnt seen in a long time (1997?) Could he be having one lastcrack at a HUGE season? It may be too early to tell but He is someone we will have top watch in season 2002!

Originally posted by carlyp
Another positive to come out of the game is Peter Matera! He seemed to have abit of a spring in his step that I havnt seen in a long time (1997?) Could he be having one lastcrack at a HUGE season? It may be too early to tell but He is someone we will have top watch in season 2002!

I think the whole team has lifted a notch under Woosha. On Matera, he is not quite a spent force yet, and if he does have a good season, he may want to stay on, but if the thoughts of Chick are to be true, the Eagles may want Matera to retire to fit Chick in for next season.....

Re: Re: Does Pete Have A Spring In His Step?

Originally posted by Goldenblue
the Eagles may want Matera to retire to fit Chick in for next season.....

eh? Chick? What the? I thought we'd had our chance at him?

On Chickadee... Shorn of all the sunday times hype, it comes down to these few questions.
Does Chick want to come back to WA?: It would seem so..
Can the Dockers afford him?: Not a chance in hell
Can We?: Maybe- there is some leeway in our salary cap, but if we have a good year, there are going to be some young guns who we will have to pay good money to keep.
Then could we get him?: Maybe. But lets worry about it after the season, neh?

Originally posted by Thrawn666
Re : Chick

As a wise man once said, let's not be believing everything we read in the Sunday Times.....

Yes, it was the Sunday Slimes, but he did quote " "

Mayhaps a pipedream......but nice to hope....:)

I always had the impression that it was more Chick's wife that wanted to come back to Perth, rather than Chick himself. He is either a SNAG or under the thumb.

I have also been disappointed that the Eagles never seem to go hard enough to recruit those really good players. Woosha should really have a good crack at bringing him home at the end of the season. If we have a good year and show that the Eagles are back on the way up, it would make it a lot easier.

Chick ?

Call me a cynic - but is Chick due for a new contract. ?? It seems to me that last time around he used the Eagles and the Dorkers as a way of increasing the money Hawthorn had to pay to keep him. I wouldn't believe anthing I read about him wanting to return to WA - especially in the Sunday Times.

Re: Chick ?

Originally posted by vicki
Call me a cynic - but is Chick due for a new contract. ?? It seems to me that last time around he used the Eagles and the Dorkers as a way of increasing the money Hawthorn had to pay to keep him. I wouldn't believe anthing I read about him wanting to return to WA - especially in the Sunday Times.

Apparently WC were extremely close to getting Chick last time but the Hawks won him back at the last minute by getting his wife a job in Melbourne. How old is he now though? He isn't getting any younger and our midfield is only going to get better. I wouldn't bother about him cause he would cost us waaaaayyyy too much.

Summary of the Herald Sun article:

Chick's contract expires at the end of the year. Daniel "stumpy" Chick said that he would like to play footy in WA, but he would also like to win a premiership so is in a bit of a dilemma with what to do. He said he misses WA's weather and its lifestyle. He also said he is in no hurry to sign a new contract as he wants to weigh up his options.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, it sound like he's waiting to see if Hawthorn are a premiership chance anytime soon. I think end of the day Chick will not sacrifice a chance to win a premiership, so for him to come over to WA Hawthorn would need to have a really crap season (not finish top 4) and west coast would need to have a good year (10th or better)for him to come over. Chances look slim if you ask me, but he has given himself space to work in and aggressive recruiting by WC could see him coming over.

I've never been a huge fan of buying disloyal players.
It's usually reserved for loser teams like Freo and StKilda (but at least the Saints took Gherig off our hands).

I'd rather see Judd fulfil his potential, and play the same role at the Eagles, that Daniel does at the Hawks. That would be much more satisfying then just writing out a check for a bloke Hawthorn have developed.

Originally posted by TheRealBuzz
I'd rather see Judd fulfil his potential, and play the same role at the Eagles, that Daniel does at the Hawks. That would be much more satisfying then just writing out a check for a bloke Hawthorn have developed.

It works in both directions though. If we are to get Chick, we would probably have to give up a fair bit a well. Probably Morrison and a 2nd round draft pick for Chick (not the same worth, but this is assuming Chick wants to leave). It would be great to have a midfield of Judd--Cousins--Chick with Braun, Fletcher, Wirra, etc backing up.

Nevertheless, i agree with you buzz. I've never been a fan of trading for players either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure that it was his wife who wanted to stay in Melbourne last time, something to do with her work.

I think he's 26?

All in all, I'd have him.

Regarding Chick I thought that KJ felt that he had been stuffed round by Chick. KJ thought the deal was done and then Chick did a backflip. Call me old fashioned but I thought that if Chick wanted to come to us he would have last time. I would hate to pay through the nose for Chick - Trade good players and give up early draft picks - and then not have enough money to keep Judd, Kerr, Embley and other developing Eagles. Stuff it lets groom our own kids.

How good is Chick anyway. For the role he plays he is no Voss, Buckley or Ratten.

GO EAGLES!

Chick v Judd

Was just listening to "Talking Eagles" and Karl said he had spoken to Roo about Judd - and Roo says Judd could be as good as Voss or Buckley. Therefore , who needs a 26 year old Chick who I still think would have come last time if he was really serious.I wouldn't like to see the Eagles chase him and perhaps give up one of our own youngsters.You can be sure Hawthorn would want to screw as much as possible out of us for him. e.g. Judd or Kerr or Fletcher. No way.

If I had a choice betwen Hay and Chick, I'd definately go for Hay. It seems that Hawthorn have snapped up the 22 yo Hay for now, so unless Chick would be willing to come back to perth, save our energy in developing the kids we currently have.

My 2c worth - Chick is a terrific player and he'd be in my All-Australian team every time. But I wouldn't want to pay too much for him. Hawthorn are likely to get the best of him and we should develop our own generally rather than trade (unless you can pick up a Collica style bargain - credit where it's due to KJ).

Overall, hard one to call, but I suspect a hypothetical until he's too old, injured or emotionally drained for Hawks to want to give him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back