Does playing position impact likelihood of become a head coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geoff Dickson

Senior List
Sep 25, 2004
Auckland
Recently, I have been thinking about the pathway from AFL player to AFL head coach.

Do you think that playing position has any effect on the likelihood of a player becoming an AFL coach? Put another way, what playing positions (narrowly or broadly defined) are over represented or under-represented in the ranks of AFL coaches?

When was the last time a ruck became an AFL coach?

Dean Cox might break that trend in the next few years

As for the last head coach who was a ruck, I think Matthew Primus?

Everyone used to say about back pockets becoming coaches and being good strategists, but I don't know how true that is statistically.

Recently, I have been thinking about the pathway from AFL player to AFL head coach.

Do you think that playing position has any effect on the likelihood of a player becoming an AFL coach? Put another way, what playing positions (narrowly or broadly defined) are over represented or under-represented in the ranks of AFL coaches?

Does Justin Longmuir count as a ruckman?

By the nature of the game, there will always be proportionately less ruckmen than midfielders, defenders and forwards.

Primus is the last one I can think of - Longmuir was not really a full time ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone used to say about back pockets becoming coaches and being good strategists, but I don't know how true that is statistically.

one rule of thumb is typically naturally skilled footballers turn out to be terrible coaches.

Voss/Hird/Watson are a decent point to that.

Whereas the back pocket / utilities have gone alot better (ie: Sheedy, Lyon, Clarko, Hardwick). Guys who have needed to learn the game to get an edge, not just rely on natural ability/athletic ability.

Rucks are less likely to make it simply because there is an overabundance of rucks who get to play based on their physical size with only a modicum of footy nous. As a defender, you have to have footy smarts, otherwise you will get slaughtered. Other roles also have more 'footy-first'. But there are decent ex-ruck coaches out there who are more than just ruck coaches. Dean Cox has been mentioned, Steven King is another.

one rule of thumb is typically naturally skilled footballers turn out to be terrible coaches.

Voss/Hird/Watson are a decent point to that.

Whereas the back pocket / utilities have gone alot better (ie: Sheedy, Lyon, Clarko, Hardwick). Guys who have needed to learn the game to get an edge, not just rely on natural ability/athletic ability.

Agree with that. With Buckley he had natural skill and drive as a player and as a coach he just did not seem to understand why all the players did not have the natural drive he had. He seemed to have difficulty motivating them, or understanding why they couldn't necessarily do what he would do as a player.

Historically it's partly true and without undertaking the required research, because I can't be faaaarked - in terms of 'successful coaches', subjective I know, with the exception of Norm Smith, Leigh Matthews and perhaps Malcom Blight, you'll find that all others have either played around the center of the ground or predominantly as back-men.

Moreover, if I was to present this as a percentage estimate breakdown, it would look something like; 5% had playing careers as forwards, 20% in the center of the ground, while the remaining majority of %75 played as back-men...

The great Allan Jeans, who actually only played 77 VFL games, was regarded during his playing days as quote; 'an honest, reliable back-pocket player'. Tom Hafey was similar to Jeans in that he only played 67 games and guess where he played - also back-pocket. Kevin Sheedy, back-pocket.
And even legendary Jock McHale played predominately across the half-back line during his playing career..

Oh and to answer the OP question, the last ruck to coach, I think Longmire rucked early in his playing days and more recently as a player, Matthew Primus - John Kennedy Snr is probably the most successful coach, thus far, who was a former ruck-man...

Last edited:
Longmuir played 90% of his career as an undersized ruck thats why he was cooked when he was 30.

Wasn't J Longmuir 26 when he retired with a degenerative knee? IIRC his brother retired at 27 as well.

From an outsiders point of view when I think of undersized freo ruckmen I picture Jeff White and Clem Michael who were both shorter than JLO

Defenders can see the whole game playing out in front of them.
I think there's a bit of that. I also think that more defenders like to learn the intricacies of the game.
From my own club's point of view, you look at someone like Docherty, who spent time in the coach's box, sidelines and doing some coaching courses during his 2 years injured. Versus someone like Charlie Curnow (no offence to him) who just focused on his rehab, having fun and taking part in questionable activities like skateboarding, basketball and using stairs.
Defenders generally seem to have more interest in the game as a whole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back