Does playing position impact likelihood of become a head coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Dyer ruckman.
Premiership coach 1943

To be pedantic Dyer was more of a ruck/rover, Percy Bently and then Bill Morris were the Tigers main ruckman during this era. Dyer actually played the last few years of his career in the forward line, sometimes at Full Forward...

Agree with that. With Buckley he had natural skill and drive as a player and as a coach he just did not seem to understand why all the players did not have the natural drive he had. He seemed to have difficulty motivating them, or understanding why they couldn't necessarily do what he would do as a player.
I still don’t get why people look at Buckley’s coaching career as a failure coached for close to a decade got them to grand final they should have won and had a decent win percentage I hardly call that failing

The biggest chunk of premiership coaches over the last 20 years played defence - at least for a significant time - but a good amount also played midfield.

Most of the were not champion players though. Very good players you want in your team but most of them were more intelligent than naturally talented

Having played at North Melbourne seems to be the main predictor at the moment, half the bloody coaches in the league played for us. Pretty sure even Dimma played under-19s (I could be wrong on that)

I still don’t get why people look at Buckley’s coaching career as a failure coached for close to a decade got them to grand final they should have won and had a decent win percentage I hardly call that failing

He had one moderately successful year in 10 years as coach. Unlike most new coaches he was given an amazing team and all he did with it was go backwards.

Agree with that. With Buckley he had natural skill and drive as a player and as a coach he just did not seem to understand why all the players did not have the natural drive he had. He seemed to have difficulty motivating them, or understanding why they couldn't necessarily do what he would do as a player.

Bucks got better in the last couple of years, i think he realized. If he coaches again I reckon he'll be really good.

Wasn't J Longmuir 26 when he retired with a degenerative knee? IIRC his brother retired at 27 as well.

From an outsiders point of view when I think of undersized freo ruckmen I picture Jeff White and Clem Michael who were both shorter than JLO

yeah wow 26 didn't realize it was that early.

His brother wasn't AFL level thats why he retired.

Are there any small forwards who are senior coaches?
Gia is the only small forward senior assistant I can think of and he wasn't your typical small forward

Having played at North Melbourne seems to be the main predictor at the moment, half the bloody coaches in the league played for us. Pretty sure even Dimma played under-19s (I could be wrong on that)

At the risk of protracting a debate, 4 or 5 (if you really want to include Hardwick, Springvale/Roos U-19's) of 18 coaches is a long way short of half...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I highly doubt it was his choice to trade trelor and Stevenson two of his best players was obviously orders from above he had to try and sell it to members after that

Wasnt his choice but he still lied to Treloar. First he told Treloar the playing group did not want him and then he used personal information about Treloar in the media by claiming they were trading him to help with his mental health battles, both complete lies and very personal lies too.

Hahaha obviously I was hyperbolising. That's still a lot of coaches though

Interesting list of current coaches, as we have one who has played 383 games and one that never played a game - while your coach only played 2...!
I can't be faaaarked researching this, but is Fagan the only full time senior coach (let's disregard caretakers etc.) who didn't play a game of senior VFL/AFL footy..?

Last edited:
Interesting list of current coaches, as we have one who has played 383 games and one that never played a game - while your coach only played 2...!
I can't be faaaarked researching this, but is Fagan the only full time senior coach (let's disregard caretakers etc.) who didn't play a game of senior VFL/AFL footy..?

I don't think Bolton did?

Everyone used to say about back pockets becoming coaches and being good strategists, but I don't know how true that is statistically.
Only personal opinion obviously, but back pockets and the like are often not the most gifted players. They often had to work smarter, as well as hard, on their game to maintain spots in the side. It might not be that the position makes the coach, but that some of the traits lead to a good coach also lead them to that type of role.

Its one reason Robert Harvey might make a good coach, even though he was talented. He wasn't the fastest player around, but could read the play better and get to the fall of the ball and create time for himself by being smarter. He had to find a way to make up for where others could beat him - pure speed - and did so with footy smarts.
Of course, that doesn't automatically translate to team tactics, teaching etc, but suggests an understanding of the game that might be transferrable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back