Does salary cap really even the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowman32

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
ADELAIDE
Watching richmonds tom lynch play in a premiership team with richmond makes me think does the salary cap really do anything to even up the competition. How easy it a decision for lynch to leave a bottom side and pick a premiership team.

Why is it every time a big name player wants to leave a club they are always linked to a top club like richmond,geelong or collingwood? Surely these clubs would be tight in the salary cap unless a lot of players are playing for less money.

I think personally what happens is the bottom 8 or so clubs (in particular interstate sides) are forced to over pay/over contract players resulting in the rest of the list become weaker. No doubt that has happened to us with us over contracting jenkins,sloane,lynch,gibbs etc. unless we do this players leave like greenwood,keath etc.

Apart from a few isolated exceptions, the salary cap evens one component of what makes up a football club. So does the soft cap on footy dept spend. You need to build an excellent footy department within the constraints to be consistently good throughout September. Team’s luck in, soft draw, a couple of closes go their way, but sustained high performance is about the total product, not just spend on footy players.

How does Richmond fit all its players into a salary cap with multi $m players. How did they fit Lynch in? Must be outside payments.

Lots and lots of depth players on * all

We're too busy overpaying the Douglases and Mackays

Watching richmonds tom lynch play in a premiership team with richmond makes me think does the salary cap really do anything to even up the competition. How easy it a decision for lynch to leave a bottom side and pick a premiership team.

Why is it every time a big name player wants to leave a club they are always linked to a top club like richmond,geelong or collingwood? Surely these clubs would be tight in the salary cap unless a lot of players are playing for less money.

I think personally what happens is the bottom 8 or so clubs (in particular interstate sides) are forced to over pay/over contract players resulting in the rest of the list become weaker. No doubt that has happened to us with us over contracting jenkins,sloane,lynch,gibbs etc. unless we do this players leave like greenwood,keath etc.
It's all about recruiting the right list

West coast ate good at it

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's all about recruiting the right list

West coast ate good at it

That makes no sense, because your answer doesn’t discuss how payments are structured within that list.

Since your usual method of discussion is to bang on about something regardless of evidence until everyone is frustrated by your refusal to acknowledge competing points of view or indeed reality, please be careful with any subsequent posting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes no sense, because your answer doesn’t discuss how payments are structured within that list.

Since your usual method of discussion is to bang on about something regardless of evidence until everyone is frustrated by your refusal to acknowledge competing points of view or indeed reality, please be careful with any subsequent posting.
Everyone has the same cap

Matter of negotiation

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In theory, a salary cap would equalise the comp. In practice, it is very hard to police.

There have been a lot of recent examples which suggest to me that teams are gaming the cap to get advantages.
  • Buddy goes to premiership contender, Sydney on a massive 10 year deal
  • Triple premiership hawks somehow manage to add Lake, Frawley, Gibson, etc, without cap issues
  • Lynch to tigers

The salary "cap" is the number one thing keeping the Vic clubs on top. They can just poach the captain of a struggling club and walk into another flag.

To hell with it.

The salary "cap" is the number one thing keeping the Vic clubs on top. They can just poach the captain of a struggling club and walk into another flag.

To hell with it.

There is nothing stopping interstate sides poaching players. Brisbane have just done it with Neale and Cameron.

What you need, and this is super important, is a well run club.

GWS, West Coast, Brisbane. Well run clubs, excellent lists. Can throw Sydney in there in recent years too.

Gold Coast, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle. Poorly run clubs, poor lists.

I think that ratio holds for Victoria as well (Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Richmond vs St Kilda, Melbourne, North, Essendon)

Such a coincidence that West Coast, the strongest interstate club, had a drug scandal come out just days before a knockout final against arguably the most influential club in the league.

I think the fact that clubs have a “minimum spend” no matter the strength of their list certainly blurs the lines.

Plus, most players will accept less to move to/stay at more successful clubs, “traditional powerhouse” clubs or even clubs seen as “on the up”.

All that before personal sponsorships, AFL “ambassador” payments and post-career opportunities.... it’s not an even playing field but we’ve only got ourselves to blame as we should be a “big club” too but we just don’t act like one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back