Conspiracy Theory Does the afl try to manufacture narratives?

Does the AFL try to manufacture narratives?

• Yes

Votes: 215 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 22.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn that Adelaide v Richmond video is a tough watch for a Crows fan. I knew we we're in trouble early in the first quarter when the umpire didn't pay that blatant hold on Lever. They don't come anymore simple than that. The hold on Betts later in the game was just laughably bad umpiring. Even the commentators called them out for that one.
I found it hilarious tbh.

You're not waving. You're drowning. All you have left is the tin foil hat jpg.
But seriously, tell me again how the AFL select specific umpires for specific games to get specific results.

It shows they go into games with preconceived plans to umpire certain teams/players differently, and that the plan is reinforced from the stands to the extent of them being praised for sticking to the pregame script even when it was a poor decision.
It shows they know that Ballantyne is a predictable and inflammatory little cockbag, who they were ready for early in the game, and who they paid a free against so that the expectation was set. It was good umpiring in the circumstances, because otherwise Ballantyne would've tried that s**t on all night.

We had absolute howlers paid against us during the home and away season, and yet a Richmond fan complains about it and told to shut up and that its rubbish. None of this narrative, conspiracy rubbish.

We win a flag and all of a sudden the umps have a massive influence and helped us to a win.

I hope you never #freekickhawthorn'd...

Damn that Adelaide v Richmond video is a tough watch for a Crows fan. I knew we we're in trouble early in the first quarter when the umpire didn't pay that blatant hold on Lever. They don't come anymore simple than that. The hold on Betts later in the game was just laughably bad umpiring. Even the commentators called them out for that one.
From an umpiring pov, the Richmond v GWS game was the perfect preview. I tried to warn you guys it was coming.

What's your point? The umpire made a call on some off the ball contact from a serial offender, and the guy with the mic says "good job".
Yawn ...wow didnt see that response coming...if you cant see estibadors point (admittedly id imagine its hard with only one eye and it only having the ability to distinguish 2 colours,brown and gold) then theirs not much 'point' explaining it

It shows they know that Ballantyne is a predictable and inflammatory little cockbag, who they were ready for early in the game, and who they paid a free against so that the expectation was set. It was good umpiring in the circumstances, because otherwise Ballantyne would've tried that s**t on all night.

1.24. Is that worth giving a team a goal in a prelim final? Coincidentally right when we had all the momentum too after a great start. That clearly wasn't part of the plan

I guarantee we wouldn't have got it back the other way. Lake was allowed to elbow Walters in the face when we played you in the GF, Rioli was given a HTB free for an illegal chicken wing tackle. Stevic and co were happy to look the other way then for serious incidents that were later punished by the MRP, but we need to crack down on that minor Ballantyne stuff in case he annoys one of our Hawks hey?

Yawn ...wow didnt see that response coming...if you cant see estibadors point (admittedly id imagine its hard with only one eye and it only having the ability to distinguish 2 colours,brown and gold) then theirs not much 'point' explaining it
"I don't really have an argument against the fact that Ballantyne is well known around the league for niggling off the ball, but I'll trail in behind someone else's argument and try really hard to claim the upper hand"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they do. They didn't want danger putting his second brownlow over his own neck so they rubbed him out for a trifling offence.

1.24. Is that worth giving a team a goal in a prelim final? Coincidentally right when we had all the momentum too after a great start. That clearly wasn't part of the plan

I guarantee we wouldn't have got it back the other way. Lake was allowed to elbow Walters in the face when we played you in the GF, Rioli was given a free for an illegal chicken wing tackle. Stevic and co were happy to look the other way then, but we need to crack down on that Ballantyne stuff in case he annoys one of our Hawks hey?

Firstly, the umpires don't say to themselves "is this worth a goal", they see an incident in front of them and say "is that a free kick?", and they make a split second decision.

There's no convincing people like you that umpires pay free kicks that they see, and miss others that they don't. And when Ballantyne runs directly at a guy not looking in his direction to try and check him off the ball, the umpires are always going to be hot on that due to his history of niggle and cheapshots.

Do you think Lewis didn't copped similar free's because of who he is and his history of crossing the line? Or Hodge? Or Mitchell?

Every single club's supporters think that the umpires are out to get them, and you're just another one.

"I don't really have an argument against the fact that Ballantyne is well known around the league for niggling off the ball, but I'll trail in behind someone else's argument and try really hard to claim the upper hand"
"And i really dont have any other response to any argument,ever ...and i mean ever ,against my club hawthorn and all things hawthorn related other than to defend as they are always in the right ,all the time,every time"

#hawthornsupporterexceptionlism

"And i really dont have any other response to any argument,ever ...and i mean ever ,against my club hawthorn and all things hawthorn related other than to defend as they are always in the right ,all the time,every time"

#hawthornsupporterexceptionlism
I rest my case.

The problem with discussions like this is people fixate on it being a "conspiracy".

It's no conspiracy that the AFL attempt to "maximise revenue" and it effects all of their decision making. Even the rules are altered to avoid things the AFL believes is a "bad look for the game".

When money dictates outcomes then it influences decisions at all levels of the sport. Umpiring, MRP, FA compensation, hell even the administration of drug policies, are all compromised because of these influences. The AFL have admitted in the past different players are umpired differently to protect the stars of the game. That's the influence of money.

None of this is new, the AFL have been doing this for decades. When West Coast & Brisbane were first entered into the competition the VFL, as it still was, held a national competition for supporters promoting the national game. When they were drawing the winner the first entry was from someone in Perth. The VFL didn't want a winner from Perth because they were already sensitive to criticism of expansion, so it took three draws until they got a winner from Victoria (the ABC exposed this story).

Everything the AFL can control they will control. How much evidence do people need? Ben Cousins, Stephen Dank, Judd's VISY contract, "ambassador" roles to move marque players, tanking investigations . . . the list is endless. Yet somehow people still deny it?

The AFL Commission was formed to have an independent arbitrator to govern the sport.

That "independent" body now directly runs it's own teams and indirectly controls half a dozen others through questionable financial arrangements.

The AFL Commission aren't an "independent arbitrator" as originally planned. They are now like any large company that tries to control and determine outcomes to maixmise their income.

You'd have to have your head up your arse not to see that.
Amen to that.

Firstly, the umpires don't say to themselves "is this worth a goal", they see an incident in front of them and say "is that a free kick?", and they make a split second decision.

There's no convincing people like you that umpires pay free kicks that they see, and miss others that they don't. And when Ballantyne runs directly at a guy not looking in his direction to try and check him off the ball, the umpires are always going to be hot on that due to his history of niggle and cheapshots.

Do you think Lewis didn't copped similar free's because of who he is and his history of crossing the line? Or Hodge? Or Mitchell?

Every single club's supporters think that the umpires are out to get them, and you're just another one.

I don't think the umpires are out to get Carlton. I think there are certain games which raise eyebrows.

Carlton v Bulldogs rd 4 2016
Carlton v Hawthorn rd 12 2013

It would be hard for me to watch either of these games and think it was simply a case of umpires making mistakes.

Even though Ballantyne never ran directly at the Hawthorn guy.....the Hawks guy actually ran into Ballantyne and took a dive and the umpire assumed that Ballantyne had done something when he hadn't.

Preconceived notions is a form of corruption you might find and trashes the integrity of the umpiring.

That confirms they do umpire players/teams differently but given your team directly benefited that night......I'm not surprised you defend the men of many colours.

I guarantee we wouldn't have got it back the other way. Lake was allowed to elbow Walters in the face when we played you in the GF, Rioli was given a HTB free for an illegal chicken wing tackle. Stevic and co were happy to look the other way then for serious incidents that were later punished by the MRP, but we need to crack down on that minor Ballantyne stuff in case he annoys one of our Hawks hey?

As a Hawthorn fan, that is a disgraceful decision any day of the week.. let alone a prelim...

Back