Conspiracy Theory Does the afl try to manufacture narratives?

Does the AFL try to manufacture narratives?

• Yes

Votes: 215 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 22.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you watch the video? Did you not see my post where I talked about the umps evening up the frees in the fourth quarter? A simpleton looks at the number and comes to the conclusion the umpiring was ok but what about all the frees NOT paid to Adelaide?
A simpleton looks for excuses for his teams inability to cope when the heat is applied from a superior team. I know it makes crows fans feel better about their teams inept performance on the biggest stage by blaming the umps, the ground, the fans, the weather... everything else except their team not being good enough.

A simpleton looks for excuses for his teams inability to cope when the heat is applied from a superior team. I know it makes crows fans feel better about their teams inept performance on the biggest stage by blaming the umps, the ground, the fans, the weather... everything else except their team not being good enough.

Instead of just emotionally spewing at me, why don't u answer the question. Did you watch the video? What did you think of the decisions on the video?

The fans. If you think the sport is corrupt, stop watching it.
Why should people give up participation in something as culturally important as football because of a few self-interested knobs?

Would Catholics stop being Catholics because a pope is a kiddie-fiddler?

I get it that supporters of clubs that have won premierships don't want to diminish that but manufacturing outcomes is a lot different to the grand conspiracies they conjure as counter-arguments.

And if you watch last year's GF it was the same. Crows weren't playing last year.....

Instead of just emotionally spewing at me, why don't u answer the question. Did you watch the video? What did you think of the decisions on the video?
Please, As a supporter of the team who had the worst free kick differential in the comp for the entire season I can understand complaints when you lose by a kick in the last min of the game which happened to us twice however you were flogged, smashed in every which way. Enjoy your umpire bashing if it makes you feel better. Premiers:)

How about Freo in 2013? Never won a flag and would of been a great story beating the reigning premiers (as well as a cash bonanza in W.A.).

Hawthorn weren't the reigning premiers. The narrative that year was we couldn't have poor old Hawthorn losing for a second year in a row to an evil interstate team.

Hawthorn weren't the reigning premiers. The narrative that year was we couldn't have poor old Hawthorn losing for a second year in a row to an evil interstate team.
Narrative? Lol
You lost cause your players s**t the bed just like the swans, eagles and crows in the following years and lost to superior teams. Last year was a lot closer however the dogs were the best team on the day. I know it makes supporters of these sides feel better by coming up with outside reasons they lost however all proved they weren't good enough to win the flag.

Did you watch the video? Did you not see my post where I talked about the umps evening up the frees in the fourth quarter? A simpleton looks at the number and comes to the conclusion the umpiring was ok but what about all the frees NOT paid to Adelaide?

Yep, the hidden stat, no one counts the unpaid free's and it is used to manipulate games when necessary.
In fact, it's done that way to allow supporters from clubs which have benefitted to trot out the listed free kick count as a counter-argument.

I said before the GF that the most influential statistic in that game wouldn't appear in the game stats on the AFL site, and that's just how they like it and why the 'grey area' in umpiring the rules is allowed to exist.

As my old man said 10 years ago when he gave watching it away, how can you call the sport Aussie Rules when there aren't any, just Umpire interpretations to suit.

Grey decisions? Rubbish.
If you want to reduce our game to Bunker level, where every single brush or touch or slip is referred to a video panel to deliberate over and slow the game up to ridiculous and frustrating levels (and still get it arguably wrong on occasion), then no problem, let's get rid of "grey" areas and go on a witch hunt. Otherwise, we need to make the concession that human umpires don't spot everything on the ground, never have, never will. There are howlers on that video. There are also decisions shown I guarantee a room full of people would not reach consensus on, decisions you see get inconsistently penalised during every game of the season, and the video maker has omitted anything Adelaide benefits from (they did get 19 free kicks during the match). Anyone who gets sucked in by this and the conspiracy theory, thinking it cost Adelaide (who played the second half like a bunch of wet fingernailed cross dressers) the 7 extra goals at least that they would have needed to beat Richmond, is an idiot...

This is Gold, Jerry.

Narrative? Lol
You lost cause your players s**t the bed just like the swans, eagles and crows in the following years and lost to superior teams. Last year was a lot closer however the dogs were the best team on the day. I know it makes supporters of these sides feel better by coming up with outside reasons they lost however all proved they weren't good enough to win the flag.
Yep, beaten up on the biggest bday. Out=pressured, out muscled and out scored........but but but, "there's a guy in the stands with a mic that goes to the earpieces of the Umps! And he tells them "good JOB!" when they pay a free kick!!

So who holds the umpires and AFL to account?

715097.jpg

'I dunno, Coast Guard?'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're probably right. It had nothing to do with Freo's inability to kick the ball straight in front of goal.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Let's not forget Buddy shanked his first shot as badly as Fyfe did, such were the conditions. We just didn't have the luxury of a 'friendly' umpire to step in and pay an imaginary 50 to gift us a goal and some early momentum.

Let's not forget Buddy shanked his first shot as badly as Fyfe did, such were the conditions. We just didn't have the luxury of a 'friendly' umpire to step in and pay an imaginary 50 to gift us a goal and some early momentum.
Oh my goodness!

If you want to reduce our game to Bunker level, where every single brush or touch or slip is referred to a video panel to deliberate over and slow the game up to ridiculous and frustrating levels (and still get it arguably wrong on occasion), then no problem, let's get rid of "grey" areas and go on a witch hunt. Otherwise, we need to make the concession that human umpires don't spot everything on the ground, never have, never will. There are howlers on that video. There are also decisions shown I guarantee a room full of people would not reach consensus on, decisions you see get inconsistently penalised during every game of the season, and the video maker has omitted anything Adelaide benefits from (they did get 19 free kicks during the match). Anyone who gets sucked in by this and the conspiracy theory, thinking it cost Adelaide (who played the second half like a bunch of wet fingernailed cross dressers) the 7 extra goals at least that they would have needed to beat Richmond, is an idiot...

Watch the video. Look at all the ridiculous DOOB frees given against the Crows. What about the holding calls the umpires blatantly ignored, what about the ridiculous free against a stationary Hartigan, what about all the dropping the ball, numerous tackle HTB decisions not paid and yet as soon as a tackle was applied to our players it was HTB.....watch the video and ask yourself how could the best umpires the AFL can find can possibly screw up that much. It was clearly deliberate by them.

Watch the video. Look at all the ridiculous DOOB frees given against the Crows. What about the holding calls the umpires blatantly ignored, what about the ridiculous free against a stationary Hartigan, what about all the dropping the ball, numerous tackle HTB decisions not paid and yet as soon as a tackle was applied to our players it was HTB.....watch the video and ask yourself how could the best umpires the AFL can find can possibly screw up that much. It was clearly deliberate by them.
Watch the video? I did. That's why I wrote 2 posts on it with one hand while the other facepalmed. I'm surprised you could type at all while you screamed wtf with both hands outstretched. Did this umpire treatment cost you the premiership...?

See this is where the conspiracy theory falls down

Given Hawthorn are awful and objectionable on so many levels - I cannot believe AFL would manufacture results to ensure they win multiple flags

Momentum Freo 2013 style meant the other side being strangled, not a run of Dockers goals. At no stage in that GF did Freo look like they'd take it, even when they'd clawed to less than a goal behind. My GF party, all of them anti-Hawthorn, were bored by the inevitability of it all, especially when the Hawks had jumped to their lead. You knew Hawthorn had it in them to kick clutch goals if necessary and Freo didn't, but the entire game plan revolved around out-Rossing Ross, who'd got his team into the GF on the back of defence so good it made them favourites in the eyes of many. Freo, on the other hand, had little by way of scoring power, and you'll recall their focus over that off season was goalkickers, starting with what would be a fruitless attempt to make something of Colin Sylvia. Freo were outsmarted on the day and had nothing to combat Clarkson's use of their own game style...

Watch the video? I did. That's why I wrote 2 posts on it with one hand while the other facepalmed. I'm surprised you could type at all while you screamed wtf with both hands outstretched. Did this umpire treatment cost you the premiership...?

Forget all that stuff. Just answer me what did you think of the umpiring decisions in the video? Incompetence or something else?

Already said it three times. There were some howlers, there were some open to interpretation, and anything lucky for Adelaide was omitted...

Not sure Abasi is the authority on what happens in AFL games. I think as fans we see narratives but I dont necessarily think they are "constructed", they are definitely "encouraged" though.... Aka... Hawthorn v Geelong rivalry (2008-2014 era)... always got 2 games each year etc
Wasn't that mainly as result of both teams constantly being top 8? That said, did we play them twice in 2010 after we missed the 8 in 2009?

Wasn't that mainly as result of both teams constantly being top 8? That said, did we play them twice in 2010 after we missed the 8 in 2009?

2010 Hawks v Geelong
Round 2 Easter Monday @ MCG 91-100 (Lost)
Round 15 Sat @ MCG 83-85 (Lost)

2010 Hawks v Geelong
Round 2 Easter Monday @ MCG 91-100 (Lost)
Round 15 Sat @ MCG 83-85 (Lost)
Also during our 3 peat period I recall Hawthorn getting the worst FIXtures having to play most top teams early across the first six or so rounds meaning we had to be up and going from the start. Unlike other teams who would get a mixture of top and bottom sides. But we still conquered and won.

Back