Does the Sheffield Shield need to go to 5 days?

Enviable Tradition

Professional Procrastinator
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thread starter #1
With the struggles of our batsmen it seems to me that it is time to make the Sheffield Shield 5 days for a number of reasons.

1. To teach our batsmen to bat time and value their wicket rather than rush towards an expected declaration.

2. It might incentivise the groundsman to leave a bit more green on the wicket day 1 to stop it breaking up too much helping our bats practice with a steaming ball

3. It will help our bats get better at batting on a day 5 wicket that is breaking up and turning.

I feel like this might help us better prepare our batsmen for test cricket and help state teams pick more likely test players rather than focusing so much on quick scoring.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

corbies

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
With the struggles of our batsmen it seems to me that it is time to make the Sheffield Shield 5 days for a number of reasons.

1. To teach our batsmen to bat time and value their wicket rather than rush towards an expected declaration.

2. It might incentivise the groundsman to leave a bit more green on the wicket day 1 to stop it breaking up too much helping our bats practice with a steaming ball

3. It will help our bats get better at batting on a day 5 wicket that is breaking up and turning.

I feel like this might help us better prepare our batsmen for test cricket and help state teams pick more likely test players rather than focusing so much on quick scoring.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Have you watched the shield? The pitches are pretty juiced up already.

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Why ? We played 4 day matches for eons and were the strongest Test nation. The current issue is a combination of just a bad era of batsmen made worse as the experiement of Big Bash overtaking summer is coming home to roost at cost of Shield games not played enough whilst Test series happening.

The Swans Blog

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Big bash is definitely the problem. The second biggest is the national direction. Third biggest are the pitches which have been complete crap for nearly a decade. Remember when England and South Africa flogged us on our own deck a few years ago

LukeParkerno1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I'd be more inclined to got the other way and make Tests over 4 days. How often does a match go past 400 overs and not finish in a draw?
No thanks. I'd rather curators do their job and produce a good wicket- look at Adelaide.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
I'd be more inclined to got the other way and make Tests over 4 days.

You'd get more interesting wickets across the whole match, and by going to 100 over days you're really only losing about a session and a half of cricket.
It's already a struggle to play 90 overs most of the time.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
Since we're just copying the Ranji Trophy now because India beat us I like that they play 5 day knock out matches and decide drawn matches based on first innings points. Not a big fan of only one team needing to win the Shield final.

bird_man

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nope. We do need to change the fixturing of games asap though.

Oct-Jan - Shield
Nov-Jan - Test
Jan - ODI'S
Feb - Big Bash

Might even have to start the Shield season in September and play games up north to fit it all in. Play thedomesric one day games in between shield like we used to

We can't continue to break up the shield season like we do and we need players pushing for selection able to play FC when test spots are up for grabs.

It won't fix everything but it's a great start.

Last edited:

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I'd be more inclined to got the other way and make Tests over 4 days.

You'd get more interesting wickets across the whole match, and by going to 100 over days you're really only losing about a session and a half of cricket.
Day night Test matches should be 4 day Tests. Instead of 6 hours in day it should be 7 and a half hours each day with last session under lights like we do for second part of day night one dayers.

6-45 pn to 10-15 pm should be last session under lights for Day/Night Test matches. Start Thursday 1-30 pm. first session 2 hours then 20 minutes break Second session 2 hours and then a nice long tea break to set up night session and players go at it for 3..5 hours under lights with 3 drinks breaks in last session.

Normal Test matches in day the normal 6 hours each day spread over 5 days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Swans Blog

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog

Oct-Jan - Shield
Nov-Jan - Test
Jan - ODI'S
Feb - Big Bash

Might even have to start the Shield season in September and play games up north to fit it all in. Play thedomesric one day games in between shield like we used to

We can't continue to break up the shield season like we do and we need players pushing for selection able to play FC when test spots are up for grabs.

It won't fix everything but it's a great start.
Problem with Feb fixtures is competition for fields with WBBL, BBL, AFL, AFLX, WAFL, A League

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton

Oct-Jan - Shield
Nov-Jan - Test
Jan - ODI'S
Feb - Big Bash
With the way CA prioritise the competitions, I'd go...

Late Sept/Oct- Middle Dec- Shield
Dec -Feb - Big Bash
Feb-Mar JLT comp.

bird_man

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Problem with Feb fixtures is competition for fields with WBBL, BBL, AFL, AFLX, WAFL, A League
Round one is March 21, WAFL after that, enough time in between to get the grounds right.

All pre season games are played outside of the main stadiums these days. You could make it happen.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
What was wrong with the old system of the Shield and ODD comp overlapping?

WA team flies to Melbourne, plays a 4 day Shield game and a one day game then flies home. Etc.

The JLT Cup is completely useless as a standalone comp running from mid September to mid October. And why did we play 3 ODIs and a T20I against South Africa and 3 T20Is against India as a lead in to the tests? Now we play India in ODIs and the last ODD game was nearly 3 months ago.

Cleavy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The way that CA justified it was to better prepare our players for knock-out style tournament pressure.

red+black

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Storm
First class cricket is not played over 5 days. There is a push to play Test cricket over 4 days.

From me it is an emphatic and obvious no.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
BBL has to be during summer holidays. There is a game on every day, sometimes two, most of which finish 10.15pm east coast time. If you shift the BBL to Feb the kids will be back to school by then, so most of them will miss out on a school night. Crowds would plummet. It does need to be in that immediate pre-Christmas through January school holidays period. Without kids you won't have those big BBL crowds.

eddiesmith

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England Cronulla
BBL has to be during summer holidays. There is a game on every day, sometimes two, most of which finish 10.15pm east coast time. If you shift the BBL to Feb the kids will be back to school by then, so most of them will miss out on a school night. Crowds would plummet. It does need to be in that immediate pre-Christmas through January school holidays period. Without kids you won't have those big BBL crowds.
They already have about 2-3 weeks outside the holidays this year with their stupid expanded competition. If it’s about the kids, why play the big games outside holidays?

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
They already have about 2-3 weeks outside the holidays this year with their stupid expanded competition. If it’s about the kids, why play the big games outside holidays?
There is one weekend in Feb of Thurs, Fri, Sat (x2), Sun.
The the finals are Thurs, Fri and Sun the following week.

I guess the Thursday games are stretching it, but they've abandoned Mon, Tues & Wed at least.

bird_man

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is one weekend in Feb of Thurs, Fri, Sat (x2), Sun.
The the finals are Thurs, Fri and Sun the following week.

I guess the Thursday games are stretching it, but they've abandoned Mon, Tues & Wed at least.
Cut the comp down to 5 weeks. Play the majority of games Thursday to Sunday with the odd mid week game. As I said, the crowds might not be quite as big for those games, but the TV ratings would still be there.

We can't let Big Bash dictate our schedule or we'll stay where we are. The way it is structured now means the standard of the Big Bash suffers and so does FC cricket.

Allow our test batsmen to play more BB and improve the poor standard of the comp and allow those pushing for test cricket able to play when they should be.

Top Bottom