Society/Culture Does this puff piece dating article blow the lid off a left wing myth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Again thats one person. That doesnt explain or proove anything for the populace at hand. And that story is about gender identity anyway not homosexuality. Most gay men think they are men. Gender identity is a different issue.
How are they different? Both reside in the brain, do they not? Is one part hard wired from birth and the other not? Why?

Does it matter?
If they are gay then they are gay, I was brought up in an era where to be called a "NTTAWWT" was horrifying.
They may be identical twins but they do have individual brains.

Science is only part of the story. In the late 19th century psychiatrists invented the term homosexual to describe someone who is exclusively attracted to their own sex. Before that only the sexual acts were spoken about.

Since then homosexual or gay or queer has become something that defines some people's identity. The identification with these terms has been reinforced by political movements and the subsequent demand for rights.

There is clearly a range of sexual preferences that includes sex with the same sex on occasions or exclusively. But 'gay' is very much a social construct. This has led to confusion - that, for example. has demanded equal rights for two men to get married. Marriage was always about a man and a woman contracting to a sexual relationship with a view to having children - not an equality thing for any two people who claim to love each other.

If gay or straight is not granular enough then what do you propose? Maybe a graded gay/straight to the nearest 10% sexuality rating? Or how about no longer caring whether people are 'gay' or 'straight'?
But that was your claim. “Gay is gay”, basically.

People define themselves by class, by the car they drive, the job they do, all sorts of things.

And many gay people don’t define themselves by their sexual preference.

Marriage was invented to allow inter generational wealth transfer.

Nice use of reasoning there.
I'd be willing to bet that if your folks had dressed you in pink tutus and plied you with Barbies as a child you'd still be straight. I grew up in a robustly breeder environment in mining family hearing barely disguised homophobia on a pretty regular basis, I was obsessed by footy and cricket but I'm as bent as a nine bob note.

When my daughter was in primary school she was friends with gayest 6 year old I have ever met and his parents were your typical as typical hetero Australians.
Fast forward a few years and he is now an out and proud teenager.

But it was so obvious when he was a child I actually remember as a result at that time having a couple nature vs nurture discussion with my missus's gay male friends. None of them had tales of pink tutus in their past either.

When my daughter was in primary school she was friends with gayest 6 year old I have ever met and his parents were your typical as typical hetero Australians.
Fast forward a few years and he is now an out and proud teenager.

But it was so obvious when he was a child I actually remember as a result at that time having a couple nature vs nurture discussion with my missus's gay male friends. None of them had tales of pink tutus in their past either.
I dont think anyone dismisses the idea today bar relgious nut jobs that genetics is involved.

I'd be willing to bet that if your folks had dressed you in pink tutus and plied you with Barbies as a child you'd still be straight. I grew up in a robustly breeder environment in mining family hearing barely disguised homophobia on a pretty regular basis, I was obsessed by footy and cricket but I'm as bent as a nine bob note.
Yes and that would probably be true. But lets not simplify this down to all genetics or all environment as that clearly doesnt match what we see. How do you explain that one identical twin with exactly the same genes is gay and the other isnt?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I missing something, isn't this already old news? There have been 8 major studies in Australia, USA and Scandinavia of identical twins over the last few decades that prove homosexuality is not solely genetic. There is only an 11% probability for males and 14% for females that if one is attracted to the same sex then the other is as well.

Original article in 2013... http://amazinghealth.com/13.06.24-identical-twin-studies-prove-homosexuality-is-not-genetic

Oddly enough, this is more newsworthy for religious nutjob groups who feel vindicated in harassing homosexuals because it isn't solely genetic, they feel there is something else wrong with them because "they aren't born that way".

A very readable summary of research which shows that nature vs nurture isn't the right question to ask, for any number of traits.

Am I missing something, isn't this already old news? There have been 8 major studies in Australia, USA and Scandinavia of identical twins over the last few decades that prove homosexuality is not solely genetic. There is only an 11% probability for males and 14% for females that if one is attracted to the same sex then the other is as well.

Original article in 2013... http://amazinghealth.com/13.06.24-identical-twin-studies-prove-homosexuality-is-not-genetic

Oddly enough, this is more newsworthy for religious nutjob groups who feel vindicated in harassing homosexuals because it isn't solely genetic, they feel there is something else wrong with them because "they aren't born that way".
Problem is media dont report Scientific studies if its findings doesnt fit with the public attitudes of the time. Its old news but not widely known news.

So if one identical twin can be gay and another straight then doesnt that mean homosexuality isnt solely genetic and therefore is partly environmental opening up the possibility that it is partly cultural? An idea that will get you ejected from left wing friendship groups.

Im not saying its time to open up the homosexual re-education camps but is it time we act like adults and consider that being gay is related to genetic and environmental factors. Evolutionary pyschology can explain an awful lot about humans. However, one of its big weaknesses (argued by left wing scientists) is it cant explain why homosexuality would occur genetically in such high numbers. Maybe thats because it is not a weakness at all and homosexuality isnt just genetic?

You are aware that there are identical twins where one has male pattern baldness and the other doesnt?

Anyhoo

This answers it best

https://www.timescolonist.com/life/...ntical-twin-gay-the-other-straight-1.23644975

So if one identical twin can be gay and another straight then doesnt that mean homosexuality isnt solely genetic and therefore is partly environmental opening up the possibility that it is partly cultural? An idea that will get you ejected from left wing friendship groups.

Im not saying its time to open up the homosexual re-education camps but is it time we act like adults and consider that being gay is related to genetic and environmental factors. Evolutionary pyschology can explain an awful lot about humans. However, one of its big weaknesses (argued by left wing scientists) is it cant explain why homosexuality would occur genetically in such high numbers. Maybe thats because it is not a weakness at all and homosexuality isnt just genetic?

maybe you could also challenge the concept of ‘identical twin’

genes can be switched on or off and this can be passed on to future generations

religious arguers would be just bout the worst for selectively chosing ‘scence’ to prove their point.

they seem to require proof after proof from the opposing camp but whenthe same scritiny is applied back its ‘god moves in mysterious ways’

we know that homosexuality is as old as the bible and other texts because it refers to it, presumably quite common too

religious arguers would be just bout the worst for selectively chosing ‘scence’ to prove their point.

they seem to require proof after proof from the opposing camp but whenthe same scritiny is applied back its ‘god moves in mysterious ways’

we know that homosexuality is as old as the bible and other texts because it refers to it, presumably quite common too
What point are you making here?

So he agrees with the op. both genetics and environment. Even suggests that being around gay people makes one more likely to be gay.

Thankfully the relgious homophobes dont look at the science as this would give them a massive opening.
Yeah its a fascinating field. Lots more study required - of course they have made their mind up already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back