Analysis Does Venables remind anyone else of Judd?

Does Venables remind of you of Judd at points?

• Yes

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 49.7%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 29 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I've been watching quite a lot of Chris Judd highlights recently (probably too much), and I just keep thinking how there are very few players that are similar to him. That 04-07 period was fantastic, and I haven't seen anyone emulate that since, which is fair enough, really. Peak Judd was up there with the best of the best, and that sort of form only happens once in a lifetime. But I still crave it, and so, that brings me to Venables.

I watched Venners pretty closely this season, and I just kept seeing flashes of Judd whenever he picked up the ball - small, but very much there. The way he twisted and turned, gave the ball off, kicked off both feet seamlessly. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high at first, but after watching Judd highlights obsessively, I just can't shake the feeling.

Could Venables be a similar player to Judd, once he puts it all together? I highly doubt what we've seen this year of Venables is anything close to his best; injury has been a massive problem for him for the past 4 years, and he's probably quite a ways back from where his peers are.

How good could he be?

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
I guess there's some mild similarities. Doesn't have the power of Judd, but is still pretty quick off the mark and is very classy.

I'd hope we keep trying to develop him as a mid, even if that means giving him a run in the WAFL for the sake of building his confidence and production in there.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
You will cop flack for this thread because many posters will think that you are meaning that you think that Venables will be as good as Judd, but I agree with you in the sense that they have similarities and Venners does move like Judd at times.

Venables will be a gun in his own right though.

You got it right. I don't mean that Venables will be as good as Judd, just a similar sort of player (as in, the way he plays the game).

If Venables were to ever be as good as Judd, well, that would require him to win a Brownlow next year before he turns 21.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
If he can find the ball 25 times a game he'll be one of the most damaging midfielders going around. But has shown nothing at AFL level to indicate he can do that.

Compares to Judd only in that he is really powerful with ball in hand and not afraid to move through traffic. But Judd is the best player I've ever seen (prior to 2007 after which groins ruined him), not sure anyone should be compared to him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel ya

Similarities are there. Thought that with some of his wafl highlights

Output nowhere near the same as juddy but once he puts it all together at afl level he will have some ripper games for us

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Nup. Judd's ability the break the game open in his manner was a one off gift.

19 year old Judd (Dan's age) was kicking 5 in a half against the reigning premier at their home.

20 year old Judd won a Brownlow.

I have high hopes for Dan, but as a half forward that rolls through the middle.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
I gave you a return like.

There are some minor similarities. But we knew 3 games in that judd was going to be special. I believe DV filled a role for us this year, and was somewhat carried by the rest of the team and had a very low benchmark set by the coaching group.

He needs to maintain his tackling and defensive pressure but have disposals in the mid to high teen's on a consistent basis next year. Sub half a dozen possessions wont cut it.

Back