Analysis Does Venables remind anyone else of Judd?

Does Venables remind of you of Judd at points?

• Yes

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 49.7%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 29 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

rant

Senior List
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Also a different draft

The alternative was Jarrod Berry or Sam Powell-Pepper. Most phantoms had us taking Jarrod Berry at 13 with a few wanting a reach for Powell-Pepper. I am not convince with Powell-Pepper but should have taken Jarrod Berry who is quite a good midfielder now at Brisbane. I think WCE was hoping Venables would be a Shuey 2.0 but looks more and more unlikely. Ironically, I think Venables and O'Neill are similar types. Both look good on paper but does not know how to find the ball. Concerned we are making the same recruiting mistakes.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The alternative was Jarrod Berry or Sam Powell-Pepper. Most phantoms had us taking Jarrod Berry at 13 with a few wanting a reach for Powell-Pepper. I am not convince with Powell-Pepper but should have taken Jarrod Berry who is quite a good midfielder now at Brisbane. I think WCE was hoping Venables would be a Shuey 2.0 but looks more and more unlikely. Ironically, I think Venables and O'Neill are similar types. Both look good on paper but does not know how to find the ball. Concerned we are making the same recruiting mistakes.
Yeah Berry hurts more for sure. He seemed a bit vanilla in the pre draft videos but he's turned into a gun.

The alternative was Jarrod Ironically, I think Venables and O'Neill are similar types. Both look good on paper but does not know how to find the ball. Concerned we are making the same recruiting mistakes.

Agree with you on Venables however think your selling O'Neill short and thats understandable if your basing it on his small WAFL sample size.

O'Neill had absolutely no trouble finding the ball in the TAC Grand Final Oakleigh V Dandenong.
He was one of the Chargers better players.

I think he will develop nicely , he may take a season or two to find his feet, but he has good skills and is a balanced player.

Eastcoasteagle has seen much more of him than I have , so I would be interested in his thoughts of O'Neill's ball getting ability at Oakleigh.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree with you on Venables however think your selling O'Neill short and thats understandable if your basing it on his small WAFL sample size.

O'Neill had absolutely no trouble finding the ball in the TAC Grand Final Oakleigh V Dandenong.
He was one of the Chargers better players.

I think he will develop nicely , he may take a season or two to find his feet, but he has good skills and is a balanced player.

Eastcoasteagle has seen much more of him than I have , so I would be interested in his thoughts of O'Neill's ball getting ability at Oakleigh.

I wonder if not having a reserves side in the WAFL is impacting players like O,Neil? He looks way off from the games i have watched.

Averaging 76% TOG this year, up from 69% in 2018.

And yet his averages remain fairly similar to last year. There's just no real improvement, which is what you'd naturally expect for a young player.

1557300729996.png

Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I think DV needs an uninterupted pre-season before we can truly can make a decision on him. Plus the way they have been using him, doesn't help with the endurance side. It looks like he has been asked to play a specific role and I think he is playing it ok. Not his fault they brought him back intot he team too early. I think the skills he has are a sign of preety damn good footy player in the future.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
I wonder if not having a reserves side in the WAFL is impacting players like O,Neil? He looks way off from the games i have watched.

O’Neil had no preseason and returned from injuries so understandably lacks match fitness and regaining touch now ..I thought he done a few good things well on the weekend ..Only a small sample size but looks like he could be not bad ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
It's frustrating, because both he and WC looked great in the preseason. The club mopped the floor with Geelong.

Heck, even in quarters here and there WC has mopped the floor with teams then collapsed. I don't know if it's attitude or fitness.

LawrenceJameson

Senior List
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Venables flashes in and out of games too much, needs to find the footy more consistently. He only averaged around 12 disposals a game in TAC Cup, don't think he will ever be a high possession player. A half forward type IMO he needs to make Lecras spot his. Reminds me of a Gary Rohan type, not Judd.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
It's frustrating, because both he and WC looked great in the preseason. The club mopped the floor with Geelong.

Heck, even in quarters here and there WC has mopped the floor with teams then collapsed. I don't know if it's attitude or fitness.

Lots of players broke PB's this preseason. JLT the team looked great.

We were so well drilled last year. See glimpses of it this year GWS/Coll but soon got worked out.

We're playing our preferred structure this week with a set midfield 6 of Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Gaff, Hutchings, Sheed.

Would love to see Venners in a centre bounce.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Lots of players broke PB's this preseason. JLT the team looked great.

We were so well drilled last year. See glimpses of it this year GWS/Coll but soon got worked out.

We're playing our preferred structure this week with a set midfield 6 of Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Gaff, Hutchings, Sheed.

Would love to see Venners in a centre bounce.
The midfield six was being better supported by the group of Nicnat, Lycett, Vardy, Duggan, Cole, Lecras, Rioli, Ryan and Cripps. Nicnat supercharged our midfield at the bounce and most of those other guys provided the numbers and support all around the ground. Its been badly lacking this year.

Last edited:

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
The midfield six was being better supported by the group of Nicnat, Lycett, Vardy, Duggan, Cole, Lecras, Rioli, Ryan and Cripps. Nicnat supercharges our midfield at the bounce and most of those other guys provide the numbers and support all around the ground. Is lacking this year.

Great point. Not enough help or numbers. Really miss Lecca and Rioli.

Lycett probably left a bigger hole than we thought too.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
Yeah Berry hurts more for sure. He seemed a bit vanilla in the pre draft videos but he's turned into a gun.
I really wanted Berry at the time and it's turning into a gut punch of a selection watching him play so well.
It made so much sense at the time - a tall, athletic mid with leadership qualities and a big tank. Qualities we needed and qualities we value.
Berry has now averaged more touches in both of his two last seasons than Venables has ever had in a game.
I was really enthusiastic about Venables after his prelim performance but he is floundering at the moment. Looks lost and tired.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Great point. Not enough help or numbers. Really miss Lecca and Rioli.

Lycett probably left a bigger hole than we thought too.
Yeah both Lycett and Naitanui provide grunt at stoppages. Hickey and Vardy do not play like that. Any rucks out there who are available in mid season draft who provide this?

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
I mentioned in a thread somewhere, but id love to see them take him out of footy for a month or so and give him a mini preseason. I think it would do him the world of good. I think currently his tendency to run in and out of games can in part be linked to a lack of fitness base caused by interrupted preseasons.

Realistically, he’s only in his second full year, given the first was such a write off. As an example of a 2nd year player, Hunter Clarke (who is only 4 months younger) just got dropped for averaging only 13 touches this year even though he is playing more midfield minutes than DV is currently. In 10 years time I doubt that will be remembered. I think the same will happen with DV. We might recall the early days, but remember the days when it all came together for him.

Alright, I’m going to call it now. By the time DV gets to 100 games he will be the best midfielder at West Coast. Overly optimistic, perhaps, but I think when it all clicks for him, it will click big time. That’s my unpopular opinion and no one is going to change my mind.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
Looked good today in patches. If he can sustain that output and work towards providing a solid midfield chop out for 5 minutes a quarter, he'll be very handy to keep in the team.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Honestly Petruccelle reminds me more of Judd.

Venables had a good game though. I suspect he will be dropped for Masten next week though. :p
I think he and the side hugely benefited from Masten being out.

We had one small midfielder too many.

Gaff still slamming it on the boot, but he looked better. Sheed too, with more time on ball.

Back