Analysis Does Venables remind anyone else of Judd?

Does Venables remind of you of Judd at points?

• Yes

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 49.7%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 29 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

wirra44

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Force,WAWarriors,SA Spurs
Good step in the right direction for venners, has the talent just needs to have a few more performances like that.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The glimpses have been what has kept him in the side and what got him drafted where he did.

For him to become a good player he needs to develop much better game sense and consistently put in performances at and above the level of last night and against good sides.

ATM he reminds me much more of a young Gary Rohan than a young Judd type (he doesn't have Rohan's blistering speed) but he has all the attributes that can make for a great player bar one. Game sense and the ability to read the play as it happens.

Sep 30, 2012
The suburbs
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, Ferrari, Minardi
I think he needs time on the ball to get him into the contest. But I agree with you WCE_phil he lacks game sense and the ability to read the play.

If anything, he needs time in the side. I saw a lot of positives in his game against the Saints - I hope he gains confidence from this and carries that momentum forward for the rest of the season.

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
Not even a poor mans Judd at this stage but he's getting better. He's only 20 y.o and has just played 20 games so there is a long way to go. Some players make a big splash immediately, others are more of a slow burn.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
None of his good glimpses have taken place deep in the forwardline though, so rather than a forward pocket I wish we would try him as a tagger or something or at least encourage him to roam up the ground more as a marking high half forward.

He’s lost as a deeper forward

The one (and only one) area that I see parallels is the burst of speed in traffic/after gaining possession. We haven't seen it nearly enough to warrant Judd comparisons yet, but I'd be lying if I hadn't seen parallels the few times Venners does get up and running. A couple of examples I could recall:

That's a very niche area of the game though and, otherwise, no, no comparisons. Hopefully with an uninterrupted pre-season and some more midfield opportunity he can build into a nice dynamic mid long term.

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The one (and only one) area that I see parallels is the burst of speed in traffic/after gaining possession. We haven't seen it nearly enough to warrant Judd comparisons yet, but I'd be lying if I hadn't seen parallels the few times Venners does get up and running. A couple of examples I could recall:

That's a very niche area of the game though and, otherwise, no, no comparisons. Hopefully with an uninterrupted pre-season and some more midfield opportunity he can build into a nice dynamic mid long term.

Maybe he just needs a game against Brisbane in nice dry daytime conditions...

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

He doesn't have a pure raw break-away pace that Judd had, but he's quick enough has good agility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I think he needs time on the ball to get him into the contest. But I agree with you WCE_phil he lacks game sense and the ability to read the play.

If anything, he needs time in the side. I saw a lot of positives in his game against the Saints - I hope he gains confidence from this and carries that momentum forward for the rest of the season.

Needs time on ball and needs to learn to read the play better.

Had a thought.

In 2020 how about playing him at times in Hutchings role? Give him a job to run with some of the best mids. They will take him to the play and he'd likely learn a lot as well. Is quick enough and can tackle, good size and hurt factor when he gets it himself.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
I mentioned in a thread somewhere, but id love to see them take him out of footy for a month or so and give him a mini preseason. I think it would do him the world of good. I think currently his tendency to run in and out of games can in part be linked to a lack of fitness base caused by interrupted preseasons.

Realistically, he’s only in his second full year, given the first was such a write off. As an example of a 2nd year player, Hunter Clarke (who is only 4 months younger) just got dropped for averaging only 13 touches this year even though he is playing more midfield minutes than DV is currently. In 10 years time I doubt that will be remembered. I think the same will happen with DV. We might recall the early days, but remember the days when it all came together for him.

Alright, I’m going to call it now. By the time DV gets to 100 games he will be the best midfielder at West Coast. Overly optimistic, perhaps, but I think when it all clicks for him, it will click big time. That’s my unpopular opinion and no one is going to change my mind.
Would he be the best midfielder after 100 games because we have been very poor at drafting mids lately and will have 15 kpps and a few small forwards by then?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Be nice if he had a proper injury free run at it.

2017 - wiped by injuries. Showed good signs in the collection of games he played in the WAFL

2018 - Was on a role and then an ankle injury derailed his season for 6 weeks from memory. Came back and played his part, won a flag.

2019 - Minimal pre season, started poorly and was eventually axed. Brought back into the side unexpectedly and was building again before concussion struck.

Now he's possibly out for a few more weeks going by what Vozzo said. Another chunk of the year wiped out for him.

Frustrating. Personally I'm already looking forward to his 2020 preseason.

Be nice if he had a proper injury free run at it.

2017 - wiped by injuries. Showed good signs in the collection of games he played in the WAFL

2018 - Was on a role and then an ankle injury derailed his season for 6 weeks from memory. Came back and played his part, won a flag.

2019 - Minimal pre season, started poorly and was eventually axed. Brought back into the side unexpectedly and was building again before concussion struck.

Now he's possibly out for a few more weeks going by what Vozzo said. Another chunk of the year wiped out for him.

Frustrating. Personally I'm already looking forward to his 2020 preseason.

Definitely needs some clear air on the injury front. One of the things holding his development back has been his inability to build his tank, that and getting a solid block of games together

Concussion as we’ve seen can be a real problem so I can understand why the club is being so cautious. Just hope he recovers fully

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Would he be the best midfielder after 100 games because we have been very poor at drafting mids lately and will have 15 kpps and a few small forwards by then?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I did think that would be the response. But in my opinion at 100 games he legitimately will be the #1 midfielder. Who he is competing with is another thing. I suspect now we have legitimate A graders in that area in Shuey/Yeo that will see our midfield develop as they learn off those guys.

As mentioned by others, DV just needs a run at it injury free to build a tank. He’s been really unlucky - Turf toe on verge of debut, serious ankle injury after a promising start, off season surgery and a concussion this year, just after he plays his best game for the year.

Once he gets a tank - he will be able to build consistency. He’s the kind of guy that you will stand up & notice when he gets to the 20-25 touches mark, he makes them count. Until then, we just have to wait- but I am happy to watch him prove a lot of people wrong. Especially that FB “fan” from the other week after DV came off concussed.

Level_Headed

Team Captain
Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If I ran the Club I would wait until his concussion has eased to the point that he can do vigorous exercise. Then make him do a 4-6 week intense fitness block and unleash him in the WAFL. Hopefully he could force his way back into the team on form in the latter part of the season.

The upshot of this is he gets a better fitness base for 2020 and his head is protected for an extra month or two.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Venners was knocked out almost 2 months ago, I'm starting to get concerned this is a very serious incident! Does anyone have any news on him?

Given our recent results and a plethora of small fwds, do we wrap Dan Venables up in cotton wool for the season with the view of getting this first real preseason into him. The guy has talent, he just hasn't had a preseason for us to really see what he's got! Love to see him in the midfield rotations next year, and with a full preseason we might see the birth of baby Judd.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Venners was knocked out almost 2 months ago, I'm starting to get concerned this is a very serious incident! Does anyone have any news on him?

Given our recent results and a plethora of small fwds, do we wrap Dan Venables up in cotton wool for the season with the view of getting this first real preseason into him. The guy has talent, he just hasn't had a preseason for us to really see what he's got! Love to see him in the midfield rotations next year, and with a full preseason we might see the birth of baby Judd.
I suspect they are taking it slow with him because there is no reason to rush him back due to availability of other players. I would be surprised to see him play again this year - just get the concussion right and let him have his first uninterrupted pre-season.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Has Venebeles been sighted at training at all?

If he has been kept out of training for this long as well that's a serious worry

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Honestly i wouldn't mind him being eased atm. We kinda have a bit of depth. Get him in the gym and and on the track.

Back