Does West Coast have the worst midfield in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing eagles supporters need to realise is that they don't have Judd and Stenglein any more
Capture6_zpscad68cf5.jpg

Lol did he really say that?

1. Yeo has really come on better than most (not all) expected
2. We drafted a Jem last year in Duggan

^^ Biggest reasons why our midfield is better this year, everything else flows from that IMO. Last year only a handful of people would of picked Yeo being this good, and no one would of picked Duggan to be so good.

Not about Port, this is about Eagles.

To be fair West Coast is probably the team i have watched least this year.

I could tell tbh

This Eagles team is a beauty to watch, they've come so far from last years frustrating mongrels.
Even I admit they were a fair dog to watch a lot of the time last year, but not anymore, great style of play, teams done a 180.

Port Im disappointed in, but I hope they pick it up, because I actually like the current Port team better than most, good dudes who played good ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dare say they'd have a bottom 6 midfield if Naitanui was to go down.

Shuey, Yeo, Duggan, Sheed are all still young and Priddis is having a better season than his Brownlow season. They look like they'll be a lock for the top 8 for the next few seasons if Naitanui stays healthy and Sinclair/Lycett continue developing.

Maybe they should bring back the bloke on the right too.

qL3gp3F.jpg

We're a bottom 6 midfield, middle 6 at absolute best.

The reason we aren't spoon fodder is our talls bring us back up to the pack. Mackenzie/Brown down back, Naitanui/Lycett in the middle, Kennedy/Darling/McGovern up forward.

We're the anti-Brisbane. A composite side would be unstoppable.

I stand by my thoughts from October last year. With the emergence of Yeo and Sheed, improvement of Shuey, Gaff and Masten and drafting Duggan we're probably middle 6 material right now. Hard to make a case we're top 6. Especially when we keep picking Scott Selwood.

Interestingly enough from above Brown/Mackenzie have played zero part, Lycett and Darling have played minimal part and McGovern has played FB/CHB so far this season and we've almost got as many wins already as we did last year.

The big thing about our midfield is that our best midfielder isn't a midfielder. Take Hale or Ceglar out of Hawthorn, Sandi out of Freo, Mumford out of Sydney (literally) and their midfields still stack up pretty well. Take Naitanui out of ours and it looks noticeably less potent. Naitanui put on a clinic at the centre bounces against Maric and we looked a million dollars. If we lose him or come up against Sandilands who is big enough to negate his advantage we really struggle. As far as hitouts to advantage go there's not a lot of difference in the stats between Naitanui, Goldstein, Sandilands etc. IIRC but Naitanui is the driver behind our quick ball movement out of the centre which is crucial with our lack of genuine pace and line breaking players.

Also a large part of our midfield improvement is our HF/HB players getting more of the ball and being involved more in link play and as midfield rotations. This is very much a Simpsonism.

Time will tell if players like Shuey and Gaff have genuinely made the step up or are made to look better by a fit Naitanui. That said, Yeo and Duggan both look like class, and Priddis gets the job done (mostly), so it is starting to look like a good to very good midfield.

Im not sold on Gaff yet, defs potential though.

Masten has really stepped it up the last few weeks though.
Not midfield, but so has Wellingham, where'd his last couple of performances come from?

Good teams do this, bring out the best in each other, thats what the Eagles look like, like all the pieces are coming together.

Cheers

Unfortunately West Coast can't have the Worst midfield in the league.

Surely now their midfield is better than all other 17 clubs. Could West Coast have the best midfield in the history of the game?

Last edited:
Unfortunately West Coast can't have the Worst midfield in the league.

Surely now their midfield is better than all other 17 clubs. Could West Coast have the best midfield in the history of the game?

I dare say we have the best midfield in the history of any competitive sport or game ever played :moustache:

Since the OP, West Coast have played in four consecutive finals series, with the most wins in the home and away season, and the most wins in finals, out of all teams in that time period, culminating in you-know-what on September 29 this year.

Good fair bump, play on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back