Dog Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Just wanting to get a bit of insight/advice from dog owners who have had dogs from puppyhood.

My partner and I are adopting an 8 week old Border Collie in a couple of weeks time and need to train the pup.

Have done a bit of research and the general recommendation has been crate training, confining the dog to a pen during the day and teaching a number of basic commands by giving the dog a treat every time they correctly do what you want them to. Seems keeping a strict routine for toilet/eating/exercising is really important as like humans they hate uncertainty and get agitated when they don’t know when things are going to happen

I’ve had dogs (had a BC when I was a kid) before, but never had a puppy to train. Both my partner and I are pretty active and go for a long walk each day, I’m hoping that’ll help meet his exercise requirements, but acutely aware these guys are pretty energetic.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Just wanting to get a bit of insight/advice from dog owners who have had dogs from puppyhood.

My partner and I are adopting an 8 week old Border Collie in a couple of weeks time and need to train the pup.

Have done a bit of research and the general recommendation has been crate training, confining the dog to a pen during the day and teaching a number of basic commands by giving the dog a treat every time they correctly do what you want them to. Seems keeping a strict routine for toilet/eating/exercising is really important as like humans they hate uncertainty and get agitated when they don’t know when things are going to happen

I’ve had dogs (had a BC when I was a kid) before, but never had a puppy to train. Both my partner and I are pretty active and go for a long walk each day, I’m hoping that’ll help meet his exercise requirements, but acutely aware these guys are pretty energetic.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Theres penty of dog trainers out there.
No most of lockdown mostly over.

I took mine to puppy school it was pretty basic ,i did the rest myself.

Pups dont need thst much exercise.
Too much puts strain on their joints and back.
Might have issues later in life.

Good luck .
And post a pic of the puppy.

I crate trained my pup until she outgrew the crate and she didn't want to sleep in there anymore. But it was a godsend and I'm certain it helped develop her sleeping routine which is in sync with the family now, and keeps them out of trouble and chewing furniture or causing a ruckus while everyone is asleep.

Yeah, general command training should be like this: Command -> Lure into action -> Dog performs action -> Reward.

The other way to do it is to match the action with the command, so you'd lure the dog into a position first, once they perform the action you'd say "sit" or whatever the command is and then follow it with the reward. I relied on this for the less basic commands and it worked pretty well.

Dang Im surprised it took this long to get replies, most dog owners love sharing advice!
I guess the pup is a bit older now, how's the last 2 months gone?
Main tips are consistency, stick to routines and don't let the dog on your bed unless you won't it to be their bed too!

One thing that you see inexperienced dog owners doing is saying a command over and over again. Sit...Sit...Sit..and so on. Say it once and make the dog do it how you have been taught. Condition the dog to do something after it hears the command. Not on the fifth time!

Let the dog know you don't want it doing something with a No, in a deep voice. Let it know your happy...good dog in a higher pitched happy voice. That tone is very important...just as important as the words.

My parents look after my dog Rajah who we got as a pup around about 4 years ago. He's a blue roan cocker spaniel.
We went with the vet's puppy school which was just fantastic.
But now we have to lead train him (as in walking to heel) He's yet to do this when we take him for walks.

What you need to understand is your dog is going to learn to listen to you being it's owner.

I will soon find myself in the same situation, only the breed of our puppy is a dachshund. I saw a lot of advice about puppy school here, and I think this is a great solution. Many years ago I had a dachshund, but my parents were involved in her training. The dog was well-mannered, the only thing that she picked up leftovers on the street, and it was impossible to wean her

I will soon find myself in the same situation, only the breed of our puppy is a dachshund. I saw a lot of advice about puppy school here, and I think this is a great solution. Many years ago I had a dachshund, but my parents were involved in her training. The dog was well-mannered, the only thing that she picked up leftovers on the street, and it was impossible to wean her
Our Dachschund in nearly 10 . We did puppy school and everything but they are apparently notoriously hard to train .
Very stubborn. Yappy and all that .
He has been a great dog , very protective and loves the kids but very high maintanence .

We have a 20 week old Lab . He has been a lot easier to toilet train and the like .

They get on really well too which helps.

Lots of learnings from our dog (now 7 years old) who we didn't train/expose enough early enough in their life.

The next puppy I'm getting I'm exposing the hell out of to every situation, training them every day. Don't need them to do tricks or anything gimmicky,

Just the most important things
Sit/Drop/Stay until released
Leave food/don't eat without permission
Walk don't pull on lead
Recall, Recall, Recall - probably the most important, this one can save your dogs life
General manners/good social skills around other dogs and people

My dog does some of them well to varying degrees, but there's elements he's not great at and with years of bad habits (our fault in not really knowing enough as first time dog owners early on) he's a little too far gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back