Doggies & Storm to clash in Gaelic footy match

Remove this Banner Ad

DTR

Draftee
Nov 16, 2000
I just heard about this crazy idea to hold a gaelic hybride footy match between the Melbourne storm and our Doggies in late January.

Have the Bulldog management gone completely nuts. What will it prove! We will probably get only a small turn out and be lucky if we get no injuries. Is this whole thing just to raise extra money ? Are we that desperate. I would prefer that the bulldogs do mud wrestling if they want to create some revenue. I would even come and pay to see that.

Imagine if Grant, Westy, or Johnson got hurt and were out for the season !!!

The bombers were right to refuse this idiotic publicity stunt !

Not impressed !!!

DTR,

I have to disagree with you somewhat. I'll be going that for sure..... even if it's just to get my 'footy' fix in January
wink.gif
. I would imagine that a lot of Storm supporters would attend, as would supporters of other AFl clubs, even if just to see the novelty factor. I think a crowd of 25,000 on a Sunday night would be fantastic! (even if optimistic)
smile.gif

I think it will be a great publicity exercise. Both clubs are sponsored by Fila, and both play out of Colonial (first chance for the Storm to become accustomed to the stadium etc.). The AFL vs NRL rivalry should see it get good coverage in Sydney, which should aid in our marketing for our game there next year. The financial side of things can't be forgoten, and if all goes well, it could be a nice little earner.

The injury side of things is problematic. But contrary to common belief, I think the most likely chance of injury would be the common knee/ankle/soft tissue injuries from playing so early in the season, as opposed to injuries arising from tackles by bloody BIG boys. If any of our boys get injured though, i'll curse this idiotic bloody stupid f*^%^%$ hybrid game
wink.gif

I just hope we don't lose.... could you imagine the ridicule from all the rival AFL supporters..... "er... you can't even beat slow bastards with no necks HAHAHA"
biggrin.gif

BTW- GO LIBBA- all 163cm of him! Don't think he'll be as eager to get up to his antics agaisnt Howe and co though
wink.gif
I can't wait!

----------
The article- http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/20001123/A33719-2000Nov23.html

What the bomber's fans thought of the concept when it was rumoured that they could be up against the Storm- http://www.bigfooty.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000014.html

thanks for the invite westy
i think its a great idea
obviously the injuries are a concern and in a way im glad essendon refused
but i will still go, i am a big storm supporter, but above that im an afl supporter so id go and not so much barrack for the bulldogs but hope they win in a tight hard game

Nice sentiments there Westy Boy.

I would be very surprised to see this game on TV in Sydney.if it is then it will be buried away on the wrong side of midnight (as usual)

Don't you know Channel Seven don't want to "SCARIFICE THEIR RATINGS" by showing AERIAL PING PONG (or any variant thereof) into Sydney.

Of course those of us who may show an interest in "THAT AFL CRAP" are just complete idiots who don't know any better.

At least thats what the good people at Channel Seven tell me whenever I ring up and complain about the scheduling :

"AFL is total crap and we are not showing it"

"Whats Aussie Rules ?"

"What do you want to watch Aerial Ping Pong for ?"

"Its on at 12.15am watch it then - loser"

"Don't like it ? - move to Melbourne"

"I don't care"

These are actual quotes from Channel Seven people responding to my complaints about their shithouse coverage.

Yes the 'Home of Football' excuse me while I go and throw up my afternoon tea

cheers

In two minds about this - Promoting the club, etc but wont this be an unwanted distraction for a couple of weeks ? - they'd have to spend some time practising with the ball, tactics etc. at a time thats very important for their proper stuff. Something they don't need. Is there anything in it for the club - prizemoney ?

I reckon its a great idea!
biggrin.gif
There's no point worrying that players will get injured. Gaelic football isn't really a rough game. They just run up and down the ground, basically...hehehehe. Have u seen some of the stuff they do at training??? The players would have more of a chance of getting injured at training than playing gaelic football.

More importanltly, it would give me a break from cricket YAY
biggrin.gif

------------------
www.geocities.com/isdogisgood/index.html

Don't think so Isdogisgood (like it)

Don't forget your boys are playing Rugby League professionals. If Rugby League can one thing right its tackle. If those guys can get anywhere near you - look out !

They will hit you like a steam train.

The aggression and ferocity of tackling in Rugby League is pretty awesome and I wouldn't like to be one of those little skinny, athletic AFL types who get hit by a Rugby League player in a full-on tackle.

Pray like hell your Doggie Boys have enough pace to burn off the Storm because if they get hold of yer - your in trouble - big time.

Just Great!

We get some interest in the match from some of the above posts, and the AFL and Players association wanna pull the plug, because of some "obstacles" (from today's Herald Sun). The match now looks unlikely, and considering that the AFL hasn't even been advised yet, I don't know why Realfooty wrote the article as if it was a certainty. We can only live in hope that it will go ahead.
frown.gif

BSA,
I almost detect a feeling of "anti-channel-7". I don't understand why you would hold these feelings towards them.
wink.gif
Seriously though, the kind of treatment that you (and other footy followers in Sydney) received is an absolute joke.

Just one point I wanted to make though, was that due to the nature of the proposed match, it supposedly isn't governed by the two bodies (NRL/AFL), and this would stretch to not being exclusive to either of the networks. This, in theory, could have meant that Channel 9 would use it as a "test" match for it's coverage of the Storm's matches at Colonial this year, or even a forward thinking test for it's coverage of footy, if they were to gain the AFL rights. And if they were to cover it in Sydney, their thinking (I say that very loosely) would be to show it at a decent time, firstly to show the game of NRL (which they are broadcasting network for), and promote the AFL, which they could have in a year's time. Wishful thinking i know, but someone has to do it.
smile.gif

Anyway, all this talk is almost useless now, considering the match isn't even likely to occur.....
mad.gif

[This message has been edited by Westy Boy (edited 30 November 2000).]

My understanding of the situation is that - again - the AFL are not giving Rugby League and inch if it can help it. I do not buy any of the reasons as presented in this mornings Herald Sun as none of those obstacles would be insurmountable.

While I understand the corporate thinking behind the AFL's decision - this is on a broader anti Rugby League / Storm scope - I do not agree with it. I feel they are missing the entire point.

Your average Australian sports nut has a fair degree of resentment towards corporations and their infiltration of sport. There has been very little gained in the way of breaching this goodwill. Doing things like blocking this hybrid game can only server to further polarise the average punter as he feels he is again a hapless pawn in the corporate game.

Why doesn't the AFL soften it's stance a little bit. Rugby League will never be replace Australian Rules in Melbourne so the AFL does not reall have a lot to fear. But by taking a hardline in these situations can only serve to further alienate the supporter and is actually denying us our culture.

It is this sports nut culture that has fuelled the AFL's rise to the position it occupies today. But by abusing this culture, the AFL run the risk of people changing just to spite them. That is also part of our culture!

--------------------------------------
BTW Doggies, do you mind if I hang out here for a little while? To much s**t happening on the main page which has become very tedious. I've told many friends about this site - I would be embarrassed if they chose this time to come here!

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

Great post CJH!

Although I thought it would be a consideration in the line that the AFL have taken, looking at it again after having read your post, i'm far more cynical now. I mean, one of the reasons they gave was "the proposed game is 3 days before the agreed starting date for practise matches"... how pedantic is that. I agree with you wholeheartedly, they should be promoting it, especially to a public with a sporting culture such as ours.

BTW- Feel free to hang out here anytime you want CJH! Your thoughts are most welcome!! I agree the main board is going absolutely nuts with a lot of digusting posts! I've got to scroll through 10 pages of rubbish to find a decent post. Tell your friends to check out all the team boards first, they look like the only place we'll be able to discuss footy without all the rubbish on the main boards, well at least 'til the school holidays finish anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back