Review Dogs 100 def Eagles 93 - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding Gardiner, he's not going to be Darcy Moore or Jeremy McGovern.

But he is developing and I can see him being a Joel Hamling type. Not big possessions but a nullifier and spoiler.
Some of his spoils on Sunday were excellent.

Also thought Wallis was better on Sunday and he did a lot of the bullocking work that allowed others to get a free run at it.
He will get his opportunities and he kicks straight.

KM

This is the downside of playing Daniel down back, with the new rules. It's not effective to have him not take the kickouts, because realistically he can't present much of a target, but by having him as the designated kickout taker we're easily giving up 15+ metres of penetration.
Ideally he receives the handball from a kick in somewhere in the middle of the ground and is the one delivering it into forward 50. Daniel operating in the front half of the ground is a massive weapon for us.

This is the downside of playing Daniel down back, with the new rules. It's not effective to have him not take the kickouts, because realistically he can't present much of a target, but by having him as the designated kickout taker we're easily giving up 15+ metres of penetration.
I’m not sure it’s not effective, having Daniel chained to the feet of Timmy/Naughty/Bruce at the kick ins is basically guaranteeing repossession if a marks not taken, or he could get free sort of 40 out etc with no one really paying him too much attention. We definitely overuse him for the kick outs though. I’m not a big fan of the Melbourne approach, I.e May kick every single kick in 70m to a contest, but we should be using Williams and Dureya more for that long penetrating kick, mix it with Daniel taking good options at 40-60m who can then go over the zone. The problem was yesterday nobody was presenting at all there was no system in place to generate loose players so Daniel was just going down the line time and time again

Edit: or as Maddog said, floating past for the handball receive after one our talls takes a mark

Regarding Gardiner, he's not going to be Darcy Moore or Jeremy McGovern.

But he is developing and I can see him being a Joel Hamling type. Not big possessions but a nullifier and spoiler.
Some of his spoils on Sunday were excellent.
KM

imagine how good our backline could be with someone of Moore’s talent? Gardner has potential but still a way to go IMO.

Today was the day that Treloar probably fell in love with now being a dogs player. He played a massive role in front of a passionate crowd in a huge win.
I thought that after bonts sealer and again after the final siren.

Loved it too but thought it was a tad too early to play that kind of defence. Worked out OK though!
Yeah I thought what are they doing not having Bonti at the ball up after that? That worked out ok too :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was in Bay 37 on level 3 and we were packed in there. Felt liked it was a good sized crowd and added to the atmosphere from that perspective, but there were large sections of level 3 that looked pretty sparse.

So I can understand the lower crowd. Not particularly great organisation from AFL and Ticketmaster because fans were spread out in some bays and like sardines in others, so not sure how COVID-safe it all was.

Makes the noise that was coming in the last few minutes even more impressive. The place was shaking when Williams got the ball free and Bruce collected it down the wing before kicking it to Bont. Massive last passage of play.
ridiculous ticketing strategy. All member barcodes were given no options for seating and crammed into sections. General public had their choice of any section they wanted that was available. Terrible way to treat members

It is great the side were able to come back after losing the lead like that. Hopefully will give them confidence that they can do it again in future.

How goods Bonts contested marking gotten. He’s genuinely probably an elite contested mark now, I’m so confident when he’s going up for one, probably more confident than anyone on our list other than Naughty. If he keeps his goal kicking up, along with his marking. He’s the best midfielder in the comp no doubt in my mind.

not sure about writing wally off, had a few good moments, tried hard and will get better... stays in for mine
If he nailed the gettable shots that had
Would have been a good day at the office.
That snap was an absolute howler! I'm sure he will get it together wouldn't want to leave it much longer though.

How goods Bonts contested marking gotten. He’s genuinely probably an elite contested mark now, I’m so confident when he’s going up for one, probably more confident than anyone on our list other than Naughty. If he keeps his goal kicking up, along with his marking. He’s the best midfielder in the comp no doubt in my mind.
But, but he's no Patrick Cripps... ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back