Review Dogs 100 def Eagles 93 - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Having seen what we have seen what are we doing next time when Yeo and Shuey return. How does the game play out differently when it's Nicnat, Yeo, Shuey and Kelly at CBs in the 4th qtr in September. Do we need to be in front to hold them out if Nicnat is up and about again?

Let's assume both teams have a fully fit squad to pick from. We know that WC have a potent forwardline and they convert at about 66% (against us anyway). We also know that Barass and McGovern are top class and will pick off undisciplined bombs into our forward line.
And we know we bat deep in midfield, have a bit of speed in Treloar, Smith and Vanders now, and that we get enough forward entries to win if we can improve our conversion rate.

Would the addition of Wood and Crozier and their aerial capabilities be enough to spoil a few extra opportunities for the Weagles forwards to make enough of a difference. Does the addition of Yeo and Shuey give them enough of an increase in possession and I50s to counteract/offset that. Is 7 points enough next time?

Below are teams as selected for last Sundays game. You could safely add Yeo and Shuey for them and 1 or both of Wood and Crozier for us. Where else are we increasing our scoring options/potency or denying their forwards defensively. My concern would be the centre bounce set up and having one more pacey midfielder to stop 2 out of the 3 of the CB Weagles if Nicnat's killing us. Is that Treloar and Smith or do we need another option as we're losing outside pace if we commit both of those.

I love the match up of these two teams and their competing styles. It's the stuff footy dreams are made of.

Western BulldogsVWest Coast Eagles
[34] Bailey Williams,[43] Ryan Gardner,[35] Caleb Daniel
FB
FB
[35] Josh Rotham,[37] Tom Barrass,[5] Brad Sheppard
[15] Taylor Duryea,[42] Alex Keath,[1] Adam Treloar
HB
HB
[30] Jackson Nelson,[20] Jeremy McGovern,[25] Shannon Hurn
[28] Anthony Scott,[6] Bailey Smith,[7] Lachie Hunter
C
C
[3] Andrew Gaff,[8] Jack Redden,[15] Jamie Cripps
[23] Laitham Vandermeer,[33] Aaron Naughton,[5] Josh Dunkley
HF
HF
[4] Dom Sheed,[27] Jack Darling,[31] Jamaine Jones
[44] Tim English,[17] Josh Bruce,[4] Marcus Bontempelli
FF
FF
[1] Liam Ryan,[17] Josh J. Kennedy,[12] Oscar Allen
[8] Stefan Martin,[11] Jack Macrae,[21] Tom Liberatore
FOL
FOL
[9] Nic Naitanui,[11] Tim Kelly,[14] Liam Duggan
[3] Mitch Wallis,[27] Patrick Lipinski,[30] Lachlan McNeil,[31] Bailey Dale,[39] Jason Johannisen
IC
IC
[7] Zac Langdon,[19] Nathan Vardy,[24] Xavier O'Neill,[28] Tom Cole,[41] Brendon Ah Ch

Having seen what we have seen what are we doing next time when Yeo and Shuey return. How does the game play out differently when it's Nicnat, Yeo, Shuey and Kelly at CBs in the 4th qtr in September. Do we need to be in front to hold them out if Nicnat is up and about again?

Let's assume both teams have a fully fit squad to pick from. We know that WC have a potent forwardline and they convert at about 66% (against us anyway). We also know that Barass and McGovern are top class and will pick off undisciplined bombs into our forward line.
And we know we bat deep in midfield, have a bit of speed in Treloar, Smith and Vanders now, and that we get enough forward entries to win if we can improve our conversion rate.

Would the addition of Wood and Crozier and their aerial capabilities be enough to spoil a few extra opportunities for the Weagles forwards to make enough of a difference. Does the addition of Yeo and Shuey give them enough of an increase in possession and I50s to counteract/offset that. Is 7 points enough next time?

Below are teams as selected for last Sundays game. You could safely add Yeo and Shuey for them and 1 or both of Wood and Crozier for us. Where else are we increasing our scoring options/potency or denying their forwards defensively. My concern would be the centre bounce set up and having one more pacey midfielder to stop 2 out of the 3 of the CB Weagles if Nicnat's killing us. Is that Treloar and Smith or do we need another option as we're losing outside pace if we commit both of those.

I love the match up of these two teams and their competing styles. It's the stuff footy dreams are made of.

Western BulldogsVWest Coast Eagles
[34] Bailey Williams,[43] Ryan Gardner,[35] Caleb Daniel
FB
FB
[35] Josh Rotham,[37] Tom Barrass,[5] Brad Sheppard
[15] Taylor Duryea,[42] Alex Keath,[1] Adam Treloar
HB
HB
[30] Jackson Nelson,[20] Jeremy McGovern,[25] Shannon Hurn
[28] Anthony Scott,[6] Bailey Smith,[7] Lachie Hunter
C
C
[3] Andrew Gaff,[8] Jack Redden,[15] Jamie Cripps
[23] Laitham Vandermeer,[33] Aaron Naughton,[5] Josh Dunkley
HF
HF
[4] Dom Sheed,[27] Jack Darling,[31] Jamaine Jones
[44] Tim English,[17] Josh Bruce,[4] Marcus Bontempelli
FF
FF
[1] Liam Ryan,[17] Josh J. Kennedy,[12] Oscar Allen
[8] Stefan Martin,[11] Jack Macrae,[21] Tom Liberatore
FOL
FOL
[9] Nic Naitanui,[11] Tim Kelly,[14] Liam Duggan
[3] Mitch Wallis,[27] Patrick Lipinski,[30] Lachlan McNeil,[31] Bailey Dale,[39] Jason Johannisen
IC
IC
[7] Zac Langdon,[19] Nathan Vardy,[24] Xavier O'Neill,[28] Tom Cole,[41] Brendon Ah Ch

It depends who has stepped up in the intervening months and also who is injured.

We might have Jamarra in match-winning form for instance. We could try the chaos ground ball more often, especially if we have competent small crumbing forwards by then (Hannan, Cavarra, McNeil, Weightman, Scott?) Richmond use it to good effect.

Defence will be better for having Crozier and Wood back. Jong could be effective in aerial contests at half back, but not deep in defence please.

We should be better prepared for Nicnat's taps to open space - our forwards need to be aware of their tactic of pushing us inwards just as the centre bounce takes place.

We also need to make sure we poke Nicnat in the eye in the first quarter, not the last. Failing that we could just concede the centre bounce taps and put Dunkley in the ruck to tackle Nicnat as he grabs the ball, with English going forward and Martin going back.

It depends who has stepped up in the intervening months and also who is injured.

We might have Jamarra in match-winning form for instance. We could try the chaos ground ball more often, especially if we have competent small crumbing forwards by then (Hannan, Cavarra, McNeil, Weightman, Scott?) Richmond use it to good effect.

Defence will be better for having Crozier and Wood back. Jong could be effective in aerial contests at half back, but not deep in defence please.

We should be better prepared for Nicnat's taps to open space - our forwards need to be aware of their tactic of pushing us inwards just as the centre bounce takes place.

We also need to make sure we poke Nicnat in the eye in the first quarter, not the last. Failing that we could just concede the centre bounce taps and put Dunkley in the ruck to tackle Nicnat as he grabs the ball, with English going forward and Martin going back.
This would seem the best solution

Regarding Gardiner, he's not going to be Darcy Moore or Jeremy McGovern.

But he is developing and I can see him being a Joel Hamling type. Not big possessions but a nullifier and spoiler.
Some of his spoils on Sunday were excellent.

Also thought Wallis was better on Sunday and he did a lot of the bullocking work that allowed others to get a free run at it.
He will get his opportunities and he kicks straight.

KM
Gardener is never going to be a Star but if he can add in some intercept marking he can be a solid role player. Absolutely have to have solid role players.
Can't keep a full team of A Graders together. On a side note think we should go hard at Robbie Tarrant to fill the No 1 KPD spot to solidify our back half

I need some think time to agree he is better than Carey fronk.
At the time Carey played in hardest position on the ground .
Also at a time when chopping arms and belting the back of heads was a skill every defender aspired to.
Mathews probably better than both in my time ?????

Ablett snr
Dusty
Gaz Jnr
Carey

In my time KH. Didn’t catch enough of Lethal.

Carey’s legend/reputation better than reality compared to the others for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Also, thanks Collingwood for paying Treloar to play for us.

Unreal that we can throw a fresh guy like that into the middle when the game gets tight after he's been chilling on the wing most of the day

Told you guys pre~season he will be a ripper pick up for you guys, we loved the bloke, as you saw when he got his first touch in the Bulldogs jumper, we pretty much all as one supporter group, gave him a nice round of applause. when do you see that ? an ex player , muched loved one to boot , not get booed ! never , it hurts, F@ck you Collingwood list management and your gross neglect of the highest order , our big loss, your great gain.

Told you guys pre~season he will be a ripper pick up for you guys, we loved the bloke, as you saw when he got his first touch in the Bulldogs jumper, we pretty much all as one supporter group, gave him a nice round of applause. when do you see that ? an ex player , muched loved one to boot , not get booed ! never , it hurts, F@ck you Collingwood list management and your gross neglect of the highest order , our big loss, your great gain.
He was booed by a lot of Pies fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you've ever been to the footy then you've seen what the average footy fan looks like. I don't expect many of them to understand the nuances regarding when to boo or cheer. When you have very low IQ then you need to follow simple formulas such as:

Player used to play for us and now plays for another club = boo.

That's not a dig at Collingwood supporters; I'd expect the same from the supporters of any team.

Ablett snr
Dusty
Gaz Jnr
Carey

In my time KH. Didn’t catch enough of Lethal.

Carey’s legend/reputation better than reality compared to the others for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My wife is a RooGirl and when we lived in Melbourne we attended every possible North (and Bulldogs) game. I reckon I saw Wayne Carey play "live" close to 100 times. He is the best footballer I've ever seen play. He made the biggest impact on games and won more games off his own boot than anyone I can recall.

Carey not as spectacular as Ablett Snr... but a more effective player, more often. He was an absolute monster.

Gardener is never going to be a Star but if he can add in some intercept marking he can be a solid role player. Absolutely have to have solid role players.
Can't keep a full team of A Graders together. On a side note think we should go hard at Robbie Tarrant to fill the No 1 KPD spot to solidify our back half
if there something I like about footy, is seeing players like Gardner, who don't possess great natural ability try their best and become really good players. our greatest example of that is Morris. I hope Gardner can turn into a200 game solid player who wins many premierships for us in the backline.

My wife is a RooGirl and when we lived in Melbourne we attended every possible North (and Bulldogs) game. I reckon I saw Wayne Carey play "live" close to 100 times. He is the best footballer I've ever seen play. He made the biggest impact on games and won more games off his own boot than anyone I can recall.

Carey not as spectacular as Ablett Snr... but a more effective player, more often. He was an absolute monster.

I agree with Carey being the best I’ve seen.

Not old enough to have seen the best of Matthews.

I think the player that gets forgotten on this conversation is Robert Harvey. In my top 3 I’ve ever seen.

While Ablett Jnr is no doubt a star he is the most over rated player in history.

for me he is behind

Matthews
Carey
Lockett
Dunstall
Ablett Snr
Harvey

Ablett Jnr is in a group that includes

Voss
Judd
Buckley
Riccuito
Martin(at present)

Rubbish, majority applauded him, always a drunkard or two in every crowd,

Not much consolation for you, but I still feel sad when I see Roughy playing for you guys. It was a good career move for him, but he was a Bulldog all his life, and a premiership player to boot. Few would boo him, he nearly lost an eye playing for us.

Not much consolation for you, but I still feel sad when I see Roughy playing for you guys. It was a good career move for him, but he was a Bulldog all his life, and a premiership player to boot. Few would boo him, he nearly lost an eye playing for us.

Premiership ruckman for the Bulldogs was Roughy, great bloke to have around the club , Treloar same, great bloke

I need some think time to agree he is better than Carey fronk.
At the time Carey played in hardest position on the ground .
Also at a time when chopping arms and belting the back of heads was a skill every defender aspired to.
Mathews probably better than both in my time ?????
Carey was a CHF. Bont is a mid/forward, different players

Dustys been doing it a long time and is obviously one of the greatest of all time, but if Bont keeps hitting the scoreboard at the way he’s threatened to this year, then with his overhead marking and more damaging disposal I think we’ll be able to look back and say he’s had the best year out of any mid. Big if as to whether he can do it as consistently as Dusty does, but if he can I genuinely think Bonts best is better
You think Bont has a more damaging disposal than Dusty? I disagree. If I was a forward I’d definitely rather be on the end of dustys kicks than bonts. Dusty softly puts them in front of his forwards to run onto. Whereas Bont lazers them in 5 metres off the ground and a lot of time they fall short of the intended target. I would love it if Bont took a little mustard off his kicks and just put them to space for his foreword fo run onto instead of a bullet lazer. I might be the only one thinks that though. That’s the beauty of Bigfooty.

You think Bont has a more damaging disposal than Dusty? I disagree. If I was a forward I’d definitely rather be on the end of dustys kicks than bonts. Dusty softly puts them in front of his forwards to run onto. Whereas Bont lazers them in 5 metres off the ground and a lot of time they fall short of the intended target. I would love it if Bont took a little mustard off his kicks and just put them to space for his foreword fo run onto instead of a bullet lazer. I might be the only one thinks that though. That’s the beauty of Bigfooty.
I agree. Often, his kick is too good a hit for the forward to get onto. There’s not enough flight in it and so it’s probably missing 1 meter of height, making it difficult to grab at pace. Contrary to that though, I haven’t seen a player as good at hitting someone 50m away on the run half way up the wing as Bont. It’s an art form and he does it SO well.

Macrae has started putting it out in front of our forwards beautifully though. His kicks are nicely flighted and always into leading space and to the benefit of the forward. He’s developed that part of his game beautifully.

I agree with this but I think (with no evidence to support it) that Bont’s kicks of this nature are usually under more pressure when he has to put it to foot quickly and nail it hard and low I50. For some reason when I think of those lovely Dusty kicks to space he seems to have a lot of time and space.

Macrae has started putting it out in front of our forwards beautifully though. His kicks are nicely flighted and always into leading space and to the benefit of the forward. He’s developed that part of his game beautifully.
Yep this needs more emphasis. Macrae's kicking this season has been phenomenal thus far. Hugely improved, and he looks to have newfound confidence in it as well given the consistency at which he's picking out the attacking option. Averaging 440.5 metres gained so far this season - ~50 metres greater than his previous career high season average (393m; 2018) and more than 100 metres higher than his average last season (323.2m). Huge if he keeps it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back