Review Dogs 100 def Eagles 93 - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep this needs more emphasis. Macrae's kicking this season has been phenomenal thus far. Hugely improved, and he looks to have newfound confidence in it as well given the consistency at which he's picking out the attacking option. Averaging 440.5 metres gained so far this season - ~50 metres greater than his previous career high season average (393m; 2018) and more than 100 metres higher than his average last season (323.2m). Huge if he keeps it up.
New rules also help this as he rarely has to kick over anyone’s head at all anymore.

A great deal of attention has rightly been focused on Williams' game saving act during the dying stages of the last qtr. However, I don't think that enough attention has been paid to what led up to that critical juncture. That being Hunters diabolical decision to blindly attempt to and of course utterly fail at kicking the ball off the ground when all he had in front of him was a aerie of Eagles. A decision so panicked that it made his forgetting to extend his arms above his head and attempt to mark the high ball earlier in the game look like an exemplar in calm competence. Whilst Im off on this tangent has Hunter ever not attempted to take a mark on his chest? Its amazing to me that a skill so fundamental to the game has eluded him for his entire career. Anyways... In the end it very nearly cost us the game, and watching AL's multi call of same made it really stand out in contrast to the composure that Williams displayed 15 seconds later.

Thats right kids, Im off the Lachie 'the drunken octopuses' Hunter should be in the side let alone hiding forward bandwagon again.

Check in next week for a further exciting instalment on where I stand on this matter.

Last edited:
A great deal of attention has rightly been focused on Williams' game saving act during the dying stages of the last qtr. However, I don't think that enough attention has been paid to what led up to that critical juncture. That being Hunters diabolical decision to blindly attempt to and of course utterly fail at kicking the ball off the ground when all he had in front of him was a aerie of Eagles. A decision so panicked that it made his attempt to mark the high ball earlier in the game look like an exemplar in calm competence. In the end it very nearly cost us the game, and watching AL's multi call of same made it really stand out in contrast to the composure that Williams displayed 15 seconds later.

Thats right kids, Im off the Lachie 'the drunken octopuses' Hunter should be in the side let alone hiding forward bandwagon again.

Check in next week for a further exciting instalment on where I stand on this matter.
Hunters such a strange one for me at the moment two, I’m going back and forth with it. On one hand he was honestly one of our best players when he came back last year and at times I’ve seen him as one of o most important players in the past two years. On the other hand I think we’re going to be better when we’ve moved past him? I’m not sure tbh, but I think we’ve got enough accumulators who run both ways with our midfield that the rest of our smalls need to be quick impact players, which Hunter is definitely not one of them. I’d be open to moving him at the end of the year, open some cap room and use what we get on bigger needs...

I worry about Hunter. He's a fantastic defensive wing - his skills really suit that position, and I'm on record as a big fan and regular defender of his. It's clear, though, that in 2021 we want more speed and skill in that part of the ground, hence he's getting very little time there in favour of guys like Treloar, Lipinski, and Bailey Smith. Unfortunately, as a half forward his weaknesses are getting exposed and he's not looking good. It may just be that he's down on form, but part of me is a bit concerned he'll end up a casualty of the changes to our system/style of play.

Hunters such a strange one for me at the moment two, I’m going back and forth with it. On one hand he was honestly one of our best players when he came back last year and at times I’ve seen him as one of o most important players in the past two years. On the other hand I think we’re going to be better when we’ve moved past him? I’m not sure tbh, but I think we’ve got enough accumulators who run both ways with our midfield that the rest of our smalls need to be quick impact players, which Hunter is definitely not one of them. I’d be open to moving him at the end of the year, open some cap room and use what we get on bigger needs...

I worry about Hunter. He's a fantastic defensive wing - his skills really suit that position, and I'm on record as a big fan and regular defender of his. It's clear, though, that in 2021 we want more speed and skill in that part of the ground, hence he's getting very little time there in favour of guys like Treloar, Lipinski, and Bailey Smith. Unfortunately, as a half forward his weaknesses are getting exposed and he's not looking good. It may just be that he's down on form, but part of me is a bit concerned he'll end up a casualty of the changes to our system/style of play.

To my mind he is the most vulnerable player in a nicely balanced mid-filed that is already bursting at the seems. Whilst his hard running certainly has some advantages late in games, his skill by hand and foot just dont carry the same value. This is even more apparent in a game that is currently moving as quickly and directly as the way it is right now. I think the writing is on the wall, given the fact that he spent large portions of the Eagles game deep forward. A position that he is absolutely clueless in, given his defensive limitations and historic ineptness in front of goals. This is something compounded by the fact that its only a matter of time before pressure from the likes of Laitham Vanderneer for midfield minutes makes his spot in the side surplus to requirements.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

To my mind he is the most vulnerable player in a nicely balanced mid-filed that is already bursting at the seems. Whilst his hard running certainly has some advantages late in games, his skill by hand and foot just dont carry the same value. This is even more apparent in a game that is currently moving as quickly and directly as the way it is right now. I think the writing is on the wall, given the fact that he spent large portions of the Eagles game deep forward. A position that he is absolutely clueless in, given his defensive limitations and historic ineptness in front of goals. This is something compounded by the fact that its only a matter of time before pressure from the likes of Laitham Vanderneer for midfield minutes makes his spot in the side surplus to requirements.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
Not to mention his out on the full deliberate earlier as well.

He's just a liability right now.

Edit: Sorry meant deliberate

Last edited:
Yep this needs more emphasis. Macrae's kicking this season has been phenomenal thus far. Hugely improved, and he looks to have newfound confidence in it as well given the consistency at which he's picking out the attacking option. Averaging 440.5 metres gained so far this season - ~50 metres greater than his previous career high season average (393m; 2018) and more than 100 metres higher than his average last season (323.2m). Huge if he keeps it up.

That kick he pulled across his body to Naughts in the last was the Penfolds Grange Bin 95 of inside 50 hit ups.

That kick he pulled across his body to Naughts in the last was the Penfolds Grange Bin 95 of inside 50 hit ups.
One of very very few players on our list hitting that kick. Not damaging my ass, no he’s not gonna hit a penetrating kick 55m to someone’s chest but he’s super dangerous when cutting angles across the field and always has been. Superstar

I agree. Often, his kick is too good a hit for the forward to get onto. There’s not enough flight in it and so it’s probably missing 1 meter of height, making it difficult to grab at pace. Contrary to that though, I haven’t seen a player as good at hitting someone 50m away on the run half way up the wing as Bont. It’s an art form and he does it SO well.

Macrae has started putting it out in front of our forwards beautifully though. His kicks are nicely flighted and always into leading space and to the benefit of the forward. He’s developed that part of his game beautifully.
Macrae’s late pass to Naughton was a thing of beauty.

Macrae’s late pass to Naughton was a thing of beauty.
It was, but who do you think he spotted? Naughts or Vanders?

Edit: Re-watched the clip. 99% it was for Naughts and if he'd tripped over it was into Vanders breadbasket who was backing up like an Australian fieldsman ready to save a boundary

Last edited:
Could it be time to consider Schache on the left wing. Big tank, nice kick, marking option. Defence?

A great deal of attention has rightly been focused on Williams' game saving act during the dying stages of the last qtr. However, I don't think that enough attention has been paid to what led up to that critical juncture. That being Hunters diabolical decision to blindly attempt to and of course utterly fail at kicking the ball off the ground when all he had in front of him was a aerie of Eagles. A decision so panicked that it made his forgetting to extend his arms above his head and attempt to mark the high ball earlier in the game look like an exemplar in calm competence. Whilst Im off on this tangent has Hunter ever not attempted to take a mark on his chest? Its amazing to me that a skill so fundamental to the game has eluded him for his entire career. Anyways... In the end it very nearly cost us the game, and watching AL's multi call of same made it really stand out in contrast to the composure that Williams displayed 15 seconds later.

Bevo actually mentioned the toe-poke in his 360 interview and without saying it was a s**t decision he said something like it 'unsettled our structures' or words to that effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a massive call... Brian Lake is the best full back we have ever had

While I agree with this... for the one game that mattered it was Hamling. Still can't believe we let him go so easy after the towelling he gave Buddy that day.

My wife is a RooGirl and when we lived in Melbourne we attended every possible North (and Bulldogs) game. I reckon I saw Wayne Carey play "live" close to 100 times. He is the best footballer I've ever seen play. He made the biggest impact on games and won more games off his own boot than anyone I can recall.

Carey not as spectacular as Ablett Snr... but a more effective player, more often. He was an absolute monster.

I grew up with season tickets in the hickey stand at Kardinia Park. Ablett senior well out in front for me. The narrative around him is that he was spectacular, but inconsistent. That is......not correct.

Dusty the best finals player I’ve seen (McLeod probably next).

Fun exercise tho.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I need some think time to agree he is better than Carey fronk.
At the time Carey played in hardest position on the ground .
Also at a time when chopping arms and belting the back of heads was a skill every defender aspired to.
Mathews probably better than both in my time ?????

Carey the best I've seen. Matthews I only saw at the end. Ablett the most talented. Martin is nearly number three now for me. Probably still have Lockett ahead of him. Martin maybe the best mid/sm fwd now beating guys like Diesel, Jnr, Voss, Riccuito, Judd, etc is no mean feat.

I’m not sure Dusty is better than a lot of those guys at all. It’s just impossible to ignore his record in finals.

If you are playing Dusty head to head on Michael Voss for example, I feel Voss would likely win out.

Recency bias is strong with Dusty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back