Review Dogs 105 defeat Crows 55 - Rd 20

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On the very small sample size, Schache has more scope to develop as a defender than Cordy imo.

Cordy was pantsed by Himmelberg a number of times.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Schache struggled in the 1 on 1 wrestles. Needs to keep distance and run/jump at the footy. Goes well when he does that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Schache needs to model his game on Lever. Lever gets beaten in the wrestle/body contests a fair bit and doesn't have extreme closing speed but does everything else well.

Thats his style. Use the ball well, read the game behind the ball and get a crucial hand in. Thats his base.

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm glad Baz backs himself, but geez he gets the ball on the left side a lot, which forces him to kick on his left. Pretty frustrating at times.

i like he backs himself in, will only improve his left side year to year. He’s dedicated enough to get it right and when he does, it’ll be a great asset. Just look at bont!

Can someone gimme a rundown on Schaches game? What he did well? What he didn’t do well?

I'm not bashing at all, but I'm also not as gung-ho in my praise as it seems most here.
Definitely reads the ball well, obviously a great trait to have, but he probably cost us their second goal, when a kick-in went to the centre (strong wind). His man (at the time, Himmelberg was first up, Schache missed the spoil, ball spilt over the back and off they went.

Watching a replay, I was a bit surprised at just how fluid our defense is. Schache, Cordy, Williams were rotating constantly on Walker, Himmelberg and Fogerty.

Genuinely pleased with how he went, but 'reports' of an outstanding first quarter and/or keeping Tex to two goals are a touch over the top.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m not a massive Cordy fan, and it’s a genuine debate whether he is good enough to play in our best 22 this year, but it’s sort of funny hearing a bunch of people explain or advance arguments why a 100 game premiership player isn’t good enough to make it.

What attributes does he possess to "make it" though? Fletcher Roberts is also a premiership player but he didn't make it.

I look at our current KPD's and evaluate what elite attributes they possess that allows them to fit the model. Nearly every KPD in the competition has some sort of weakness but they use their strengths to compensate. Cordy doesn't have the ability to compensate for his deficiencies. He's undersized in terms of strength and reach and doesn't have the closing speed that allows him to play off his man and either peel off to provide cover, nor close space and come over the top.

Cordy has been benefited by a stack of injuries to our KPD's over the years (Adams, Hamling, Morris all injury prone), our lack of depth after those players left, or even put up forward when the KPF cupboard was bare.

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
What attributes does he possess to "make it" though? Fletcher Roberts is also a premiership player but he didn't make it.

I look at our current KPD's and evaluate what elite attributes they possess that allows them to fit the model. Nearly every KPD in the competition has some sort of weakness but they use their strengths to compensate. Cordy doesn't have the ability to compensate for his deficiencies. He's undersized in terms of strength and reach and doesn't have the closing speed that allows him to play off his man and either peel off to provide cover, nor close space and come over the top.

Cordy has been benefited by a stack of injuries to our KPD's over the years (Adams, Hamling, Morris all injury prone), our lack of depth after those players left, or even put up forward when the KPF cupboard was bare.

To “make it” is undefined and means different things to different people, but I think it’s fair to say that he has made it playing a hundred games and winning a flag.

As I said, it’s a genuine debate whether he is best 22 at this time of the year.

I wouldn’t describe any of his attributes as elite - he is a role player at best and is reasonably solid in a strong defensive unit. With Gardner and Keath out, he is doing a job for us. He is a good ol’ fashion trier and that’s all he will be. I sort of respect that more than some of the more talented players in our team.

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Marras strength in tackles us a huge pleasant surprise usually first year talls dont stick those and his second efforts were amazing, bevo and his team mates will be huge on that.

Garcia is a gun makes our forward line and outside of the contest a thousand times better.

Couldn't be happier for schache, i have said this before i think even if keath and gardner come back he can play on the wing.

Easily controlled the game today amazing to see

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Still working so only listened on radio.

Sounds like we did what we needed to do in a junk game(basically what radio said)

Daniel and Dale BOG on radio

Imagine us winning and your first thing to do is come in here to talk about me?? 😂😂😂😂. GALFFS

Should I bother watching the replay as radio said it was a poor game to watch?
Watch it. Some good highlights from Jamarra, Garcia, Schache (improving all the time). Bont quiet and no injuries. Besides we beat those Adelaide flogs which is always good.

Also I think Naughton has had a quiet for weeks because Marra is in the team. There is much more of a spread with who the boys kick to inside 50. Weightman also seems to get a lot of the ball.

Great “problem” to have …

Naughton is really pissing me off with his discipline at the moment, 3 times in the last 3-4 games he’s given a way a free for off the ball wrestling when we’ve had control of the ball. It’s probably from things not going all his own way, but he needs to cut that out

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Probably the most anaemic response to a game on here all year.

Bit of a valium-dosed win, yeah, but in a howling gale, to get it done easily, with no injuries, while resting Doc, is a solid achievement and moves us one step closer to that McClellan Trophy in our cabinet.

* Bailey Dale is silk and is a certainty for AA HBF for any mammal with 20/20 vision and a functioning cerebral cortex.
* Caleb Daniel is satin (single bed set). A dancing sniper with vision, evasive movement and disposal rivalling Maradona.
* Marra looking more and more at home. Leading patterns and fitness improving. Our F50 hydra sprouts yet another head.
* Schache schachled Tex for the most part, and was great on the intercept and disposal coming outta D50. Perfect 3rd defender.
* Great to see Baz back in the centre for the majority of the match. Disposal not perfect, but good burst from the contest all day.
* English slightly better each week, both in the ruck and around the ground. Great below his knees.
* Sonny hitting bodies like he used to ride waves. Improved kicking, too.
* Bont on cruise control but f*** me he's earned it.
* Liked Hannan's cameos in the ruck.
* Cody is a rascal and I love him.

So much class to come back in. Hope we pants the Bombers and Dunkley goes super saiyan.
Love your Caleb description, particularly the Maradonna bit. That is why I call him little Diego. A master AT BALL DISTRIBUTION AND game PLAY creation. Pure silk, which is better than satin. But your description is pefect. GO DOGS!!!

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Naughton is really pissing me off with his discipline at the moment, 3 times in the last 3-4 games he’s given a way a free for off the ball wrestling when we’ve had control of the ball. It’s probably from things not going all his own way, but he needs to cut that out
TOTALLY AGREE. I think he needs to focus more on the game. Hope he gets it out of. his game pretty quick.

People are being a bit harsh on Naughton, it was one of those games that he was getting crucified by the umps, and it got in his head, where he was having a bit of a whine by the end of it.

Adelaide doing their thing where they seemed to wrestle and block and jumper grab Nauughton all day when he should have had a couple more free kicks meant the other players had more space. Even if he himself doesn't play that well, he's always an asset, just looked at how poor v Sydney we were without him.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s annoying. Despite the Qanon style theories about our relationship with the umps, our guys are very disciplined and don’t give away silly free kicks much but he has a few times lately.

The last two weeks we’ve also been done a lot for not kicking 15m. Seriously guys just space out a few more steps!

In the absence of Duryea, Scott played what was probably his best game in the team so far, and he did it demonstrating utility abilities through half-back after playing most of the season as a small or half-forward or on the wing.

17 touches (career high), 10 contested possessions (3rd most after Macrae and Libba for us), 15 of those 17 touches were effective, 9 intercept possessions (equal 2nd most on the ground after Doedee, and equal with Dale). 371 Metres Gained to which is fantastic given the fact that he only had 7 kicks and only the 7 uncontested possessions.

He was very good at ensuring that Adelaide's somewhat poor ball movement and/or pressured disposal didn't go on for them by getting to the ground ball and winning them in the defensive half, executing his movement of the ball, and kicking long, running and carrying when the opportunity presented.

Another point: we played incredibly well considering we were smashed in the centre clearances (in part because Bont didn't play as much through there at all), 17-8, and yet we only let Adelaide have 40 inside 50's - a large part because they won it arguably a bit luckily out of the middle! We dominated stoppage clearances and didn't turn the ball over in our defensive half. That makes it a better performance than we give credit for, which compared to the 17-10 we had in our win over Gold Cost.

In the absence of Duryea, Scott played what was probably his best game in the team so far, and he did it demonstrating utility abilities through half-back after playing most of the season as a small or half-forward or on the wing.

17 touches (career high), 10 contested possessions (3rd most after Macrae and Libba for us), 15 of those 17 touches were effective, 9 intercept possessions (equal 2nd most on the ground after Doedee, and equal with Dale). 371 Metres Gained to which is fantastic given the fact that he only had 7 kicks and only the 7 uncontested possessions.

He was very good at ensuring that Adelaide's somewhat poor ball movement and/or pressured disposal didn't go on for them by getting to the ground ball and winning them in the defensive half, executing his movement of the ball, and kicking long, running and carrying when the opportunity presented.
He might or might not play in the finals but that's the sort of bloke you want as depth.

Our 2016 premiership was as much about the performance of our bottom six as it was the top six. Think of Biggs, Roberts, Hamling, Cordy etc.

Scott wouldn't be in my best 22 with a full list to choose from, but if we had injuries and other problems I'd feel comfortable enough with Scott playing in a final. Even a GF.

Back