Review Dogs 105 defeat Crows 55 - Rd 20

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Did you not see the 3 crunching tackles he laid today?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes I did see those, but I also saw probably another 5 or 6 times where he basically just gave up. For context I never see Cody do that. I just would love to see the effort he put into those few chase down tackles on a more consistent basis. I think he sometimes picks and chooses when he does that effort. I think it can be just a rookie thing, but I just like to see 100% effort all the time.

Yes I did see those, but I also saw probably another 5 or 6 times where he basically just gave up. For context I never see Cody do that. I just would love to see the effort he put into those few chase down tackles on a more consistent basis. I think he sometimes picks and chooses when he does that effort. I think it can be just a rookie thing, but I just like to see 100% effort all the time.
I haven't seen much of Marra's last two outings but I was wondering if he might even be under instructions not to chase too hard at this early stage of his career.

I know it sounds improbable but think of it like this:
  • He came into the season with a known deficiency in match endurance having played no games for about 18 months.
  • His conditioning and match outings have been further limited by injuries and Covid19 cancellations
  • His match performances suggest he might have just enough tank to see out 3.5 quarters of a game, maybe even 4 if it's not too demanding.
  • He is given more bench time than most of his teammates.
  • Notwithstanding all that he is now doing some magical things, making a noticeable contribution to the scoreboard, giving our forward line a new dimension, getting valuable seniors experience and is showing us all why he was rated a #1 pick.
Given all that, it might make sense to say "we need you to exert defensive pressure and lay tackles / but only if they're close by / don't use up your petrol tickets on a futile chase / we're going to need those tickets later in the game".

Next year would be a different story.

Marbyriver

Debutant
Aug 15, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good win. Love seeing anyone pulling on the jumper taking their opportunity... bailey dale/Josh scache, stoked for them.

Genuinely hope scache kicks on in defence and that our supporters back him all the way.

On a side note, getting worried I'll be locked out of wherever we play finals, picked a good year to move interstate!

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In the absence of Duryea, Scott played what was probably his best game in the team so far, and he did it demonstrating utility abilities through half-back after playing most of the season as a small or half-forward or on the wing.

17 touches (career high), 10 contested possessions (3rd most after Macrae and Libba for us), 15 of those 17 touches were effective, 9 intercept possessions (equal 2nd most on the ground after Doedee, and equal with Dale). 371 Metres Gained to which is fantastic given the fact that he only had 7 kicks and only the 7 uncontested possessions.

He was very good at ensuring that Adelaide's somewhat poor ball movement and/or pressured disposal didn't go on for them by getting to the ground ball and winning them in the defensive half, executing his movement of the ball, and kicking long, running and carrying when the opportunity presented.
Definitely Scott’s best game, did a number of classy things I haven’t really seen from him before. Is he injured though? Looked pretty nasty

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else get the sense Garcia hasn’t really been getting much attention from the commentators? Been really good since coming in.

That is the tradition of our rising stars. Bailey Smith was invisible for half a season before commentators like Paul Roos started to notice how good he’d been all year. Same with Naughton and Macrae. Unless they have an infectious personality/wow factor like Stringer/Weightman or epic expectations like Jamarra/Bont, our rookies just go about having solid debut seasons that exceed the hype of most high profile clubs’ equivalents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Started the 1st quarter really well. Had 3 good intercept marks.
His disposal was good all day, but he got beaten in some one on ones, including giving away a free when caught out of position.
With the way we press at some stage all of our defenders will get caught out of position if we turn it over in the middle. Schache is never going to be a wrestling type defender could be a good intercept who can man the 2nd or 3rd forward and be influential

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Only have had a radio call for most of Garcia's games.

I like what I hear, but you could please expand on your reasons for that?
It is the speed he has around the contest, and his love of taking the opposition body with maximum impact. Generally makes the most of his possessions, not the greatest kick but works within his limitation.
He is very good at closing down space and putting pressure on the ball carrier. Going to be a very good player for us in the long term.

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
I haven't seen much of Marra's last two outings but I was wondering if he might even be under instructions not to chase too hard at this early stage of his career.

I know it sounds improbable but think of it like this:
  • He came into the season with a known deficiency in match endurance having played no games for about 18 months.
  • His conditioning and match outings have been further limited by injuries and Covid19 cancellations
  • His match performances suggest he might have just enough tank to see out 3.5 quarters of a game, maybe even 4 if it's not too demanding.
  • He is given more bench time than most of his teammates.
  • Notwithstanding all that he is now doing some magical things, making a noticeable contribution to the scoreboard, giving our forward line a new dimension, getting valuable seniors experience and is showing us all why he was rated a #1 pick.
Given all that, it might make sense to say "we need you to exert defensive pressure and lay tackles / but only if they're close by / don't use up your petrol tickets on a futile chase / we're going to need those tickets later in the game".

Next year would be a different story.
Thanks for the considered reply.

This actually does make sense although I doubt it’s under coaching direction not to give maximum effort all the time but yes his lack of conditioning due to the issues over the last couple of seasons could absolutely be the reason why his effort levels are so variable. But yes I do like the fact that he has still found a way to make a great contribution and shown everyone why he was the number one pick. In fact I can’t remember a young player who takes marks like he does consistently at the highest point with hands out stretched. When he develops his body and conditioning he is going to be special. We are very lucky to have Jamarra at the Dogs no doubt.

1627770727400.png

Thanks for the considered reply.

This actually does make sense although I doubt it’s under coaching direction not to give maximum effort all the time but yes his lack of conditioning due to the issues over the last couple of seasons could absolutely be the reason why his effort levels are so variable. But yes I do like the fact that he has still found a way to make a great contribution and shown everyone why he was the number one pick. In fact I can’t remember a young player who takes marks like he does consistently at the highest point with hands out stretched. When he develops his body and conditioning he is going to be special. We are very lucky to have Jamarra at the Dogs no doubt.

For those that were lucky enough to see Chris Grant’s first season as a skinny 17 year old, is there any comparison with Marra.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can’t see how we make it work.

If Martin ever gets back on the park I imagine JUH will have to make way.

Unless Naughton moves back of course but let’s not start that discussion.
I can’t see Marra being dropped, his work rate has been good and that first quarter move and handball was something very few players could execute

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just finished catching up on the replay via Kayo, I should have skipped through the dire third quarter.

Highlight of the game was A. Scott not doing his knee (and having a very fine game)

Bailey Dale has a smaller sample size, but might be as good as Bob Murphy. He wasn't quite the forward Murph was.

Marra and Bruce are our most natural forwards. Naughton is a bull in a china shop, he breaks things down more than build them up.

I like Hannan in the ruck, means we get more out of Bruce and Hannan is probably more effective around the ground.

Schache reduced the bloke 2nd in the Coleman medal to two goals ; one a scrambled kick off the ground and the other a flook of the wind where Schache had front position and the wind swirled the ball in a complete 180. He struggles with the wrestling aspect but give him a while.
It was interesting hearing Bevo at his presser last week saying Schache is still doing a lot of gym work to build that upper body strength, I reckon both Schache and the coaches know his weaknesses but so long as he keeps working on them it has the potential to pay big dividends

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good solid win by a top team who didn’t overextend itself but kept game under control in all the right ways.

The 3 Baileys were impressive. Dale’s kicking is getting to Bob levels and his reading of play,speed and evasiveness is becoming elite, Smith great in the clearances and the physical stuff and Williams continues his return to early season dominance.

Schache was impressive other than a couple of losses in wrestling contests. Zaine was the same - solid on the team defense set up but very bearable one out. Wood brushed the cobwebs off gradually and will be better for the run into finals. Will need him to marshal the team defence until Keath returns. Scott was more than solid today. Probably best game.

Forwards were all contributors today. If they can all click at their best, we are scary. Best Bruce has marked for a while, Jamarra’s tackling was a revelation today - that was more impressive than his classy stuff. Naughton still crashed a lot contests to kill the ball when he wasn’t marking, Weightman and Garcia doing what we need a small forward to do, Hannan solid again, JJ used his pace well today and Hunter becoming sneaky efficient as a part time playmaking forward wing.

English did some things in tight today ruckman aren’t supposed to do. Libber and Caleb are just unique footballers of the highest order ( best goals of the day) and Macrae continues to be criminally underrated as one of the elite players in the league. Dunks will be happy with a low pressure return and Bont was like a Dad hanging around the playground watching his kids do their thing and just doing what only he does when required. Even Roarke had some good assists today.

Most peaceful day at the footy for a while. The neighbours didn’t even know there was a game on today, considering the last few they could have reported me as a public nuisance to the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been impressed with Marras tackling from the start

Back