Review Dogs 106 def Suns 87

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely baffled by the response in here.
Beveridge was right to raise the issue.

The footage was a complete stitch up and didn't even show the free kicks against both were in retaliation to being held off the ball with both arms. Even so the footage shows Collins with his back to the contest, holding Naughton with both arms around him before the ball is even there, scragging him to the ground twice and hitting him high once. All for zero free kicks.

Think a few are getting sucked in by Barrett and Lloyd's commentary.

This wasn't simple using the body to bump him off line or body pressure that Moz was amazing at, this was illegal tactics being used and called out by the coach as he should. This is no reflection on Collins. He kept getting away with it (and was actually rewarded on two occasions) so why not keep going. Umpires needed to stamp it out early by giving Naughts a free.
Agree 100% mate, needs to be brought up and brought to light which is what Bev did. I think even if Naughts wasn’t being scragged off the ball (which he was) the comments from Bev are fair. He was asked why Naughty struggled in the 2nd half he literally said there was a few reasons but I won’t go into it until I’ve seen the tape…. Like what on earth is the problem with that hahaha, media genuinely calling him out to apologise to the suns - can’t make this s**t up seriously

In the Damo/Lloyd footage (which is admittedly handpicked by them) you can clearly see Naughts & Collins and nothing illegal is done by Collins in any of the clips. Doesn't mean Collins wasn't smacking Naughton in the chops every second play though, not like MARS stadium has the most sophisticated camera work.

Speaking of which I still can't believe the non Chol review in the 4th quarter, the best angle they had was from 20m away! Stunning how a multi billion dollar sport can still be so amateur.

Strongly disagree.

If we were to get real picky on things, you can see multiple blatant free kicks that weren’t paid just from the shitty footage supplied by Damo and Co.

Players can’t block or restricted players from competing in a marking contest. Twice Collins held or blocked Naughts from competing. That’s two frees just there.

You can also see multiple times Collins (and possibly someone else) pulling on Naughts arms, if only so slightly it’s still illegal.

Another time he wraps both arms around him pulling him back, which again is illegal to do.

This is just going on that terrible footage that doesn’t show a whole lot.

If you’re arguing that nothing happened to warrant a free kick being paid, then this footage definitely shouldn’t be used as proof.

In the Damo/Lloyd footage (which is admittedly handpicked by them) you can clearly see Naughts & Collins and nothing illegal is done by Collins in any of the clips. Doesn't mean Collins wasn't smacking Naughton in the chops every second play though, not like MARS stadium has the most sophisticated camera work.

Speaking of which I still can't believe the non Chol review in the 4th quarter, the best angle they had was from 20m away! Stunning how a multi billion dollar sport can still be so amateur.

I agree though that MARS isn’t the most technically advanced stadium going round.

Though it’s much better than when we first played out there. Was like watching local footy.

Great post - 100% on the money.

Whilst Bevo may have unfavourably gone the media after round 1 and has a long history of media dislike with Barrett and Co, he is not critical of umps very often.

I’d take the Barrett/Lloyd commentary and “facts” with the grain of salt they should be taken with!
I tend to take any Barrett/Lloyd commentary and facts with not so much a grain of salt, more a bucket of sh1t.

The two things I hope the club have learned from this is that 1) if players can get away with this then we need to be prepared for it, and 2) we're vulnerable to this when we play only ONE true f50 marking target.
Bring in English as a permanent forward!!! Give the opposition someone else to worry about.

HF: B.Smith Bontempelli Treloar
FF: English Naughton Weightman
Int: Khamis

There is a fairly simple remedy in my view about the "Naughty being held" situation. Of course getting some of the free kicks for blocks and holds would be great.

But the major solution is another big target in the forward line who can play deep. Think about it for a while. Basically since Bruce went down both Bruce and English were taken away from Aaron as other big bodied targets in the forward line. Since then Aaron has got the support of Cordy, Schache, JUH and Khamis. None of whom attract a crowd. Nor would they attract a big body like Bruce and English both can.

Insert Bruce and English into that team lets just say we play Bruce exclusively forward and English 50/50 ruck/forward. You end up with Naughton having a first qtr and half like that. Then you have Collins completely switch tactics to play the body check type KPD that in my view I have noticed is the best way to play Naughton and guns like May/Weitering have historically done the best job on him. So you push Naughton higher up the ground and have English/Bruce deep.

That forces the body check variety of KPD to make a decision. Do they want to push up the ground and try and play a similiar type of role (which basically doesnt happen because those variety of defenders want to be deeper and they give more room up the ground to the KPF because the consequences aren't as high). Or do they stay back and switch opponents to a English/Bruce. Giving Naughton a smaller opponent (more likely to be the interceptor/less accountable variety of KPD) so he can double back and get the type of defender he wants.

On the weekend we had 190cm Khamis who doesnt have the tank nor the size, as well as pretty lightly built cordy who wasn't blocking and assisting nor is he providing another viable threat.

Once we resolve this, you give opposition another headache. The instant solution to this is playing English mainly forward for the next couple of weeks to get him back in. Bruce would also signficantly help also.

Compare Naughton to Jeremy Cameron in terms of style. Naughton obviously the better mark of the ball but Cameron probably the more instinctive forward. Cameron has Hawkins to occupy the May/Collins/Weitering variety of defender. Naughton has Cordy in comparison.

Bevo has a point to make as Astro clearly is infringed multiple times per game. I'm not sure that airing the issue in the media is the way to get the positive attention to the issue that we want. He is hanging the umpires (and the AFL) out to dry in the public arena. If he's going to do that it had better be a last resort. Has Bevo raised the issue formally with the AFL and the umpires? I hope so.

There is a fairly simple remedy in my view about the "Naughty being held" situation. Of course getting some of the free kicks for blocks and holds would be great.

But the major solution is another big target in the forward line who can play deep. Think about it for a while. Basically since Bruce went down both Bruce and English were taken away from Aaron as other big bodied targets in the forward line. Since then Aaron has got the support of Cordy, Schache, JUH and Khamis. None of whom attract a crowd. Nor would they attract a big body like Bruce and English both can.

Insert Bruce and English into that team lets just say we play Bruce exclusively forward and English 50/50 ruck/forward. You end up with Naughton having a first qtr and half like that. Then you have Collins completely switch tactics to play the body check type KPD that in my view I have noticed is the best way to play Naughton and guns like May/Weitering have historically done the best job on him. So you push Naughton higher up the ground and have English/Bruce deep.

That forces the body check variety of KPD to make a decision. Do they want to push up the ground and try and play a similiar type of role (which basically doesnt happen because those variety of defenders want to be deeper and they give more room up the ground to the KPF because the consequences aren't as high). Or do they stay back and switch opponents to a English/Bruce. Giving Naughton a smaller opponent (more likely to be the interceptor/less accountable variety of KPD) so he can double back and get the type of defender he wants.

On the weekend we had 190cm Khamis who doesnt have the tank nor the size, as well as pretty lightly built cordy who wasn't blocking and assisting nor is he providing another viable threat.

Once we resolve this, you give opposition another headache. The instant solution to this is playing English mainly forward for the next couple of weeks to get him back in. Bruce would also signficantly help also.

Compare Naughton to Jeremy Cameron in terms of style. Naughton obviously the better mark of the ball but Cameron probably the more instinctive forward. Cameron has Hawkins to occupy the May/Collins/Weitering variety of defender. Naughton has Cordy in comparison.
Yeah 100%, last year Naughty was clear first in the comp for marks inside 50 and contested marks from memory, I’d take a guess as his numbers being way down in those categories this year - that’s purely down to the support. He’s still a gun and he’s found other ways to hit the scoreboard which has been brilliant, but he needs some genuine support. Obviously we can’t bring Bruce back but English in to free him up a little bit is an absolute necessity at this stage.

Flow on effect is positive for Buku, and of course to our smalls when more ball will hit the deck… and also positive for our midfielders who always have a genuine ruck…

Let’s us also sit Timmy behind the ball if needed as a marking target, gives us another option at half forward.

It’s just sooooo bloody obvious, yet come Thursday’s - in: English out: Sweet 100% 😂

AFLCA votes Round 10 – Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast

8 - Bailey Smith (WB)
6 - Ed Richards (WB)
5 - Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
3- Jack Macrae (WB)

3 - Joel Sudar-Jeffrey (GCFC)
2 - David Swallow (GCFC)
2 - Bailey Williams (WB)
1 - Aaron Naughton (WB)

I'm genuinely confused about what Bev's angle was about Naughton in this morning's presser. Seems like as concession there wasn't anything untoward during the game, but also that he wasn't suggesting there ever was in the first place? Is that how others are reading it?

AFLCA votes Round 10 – Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast

8 - Bailey Smith (WB)
6 - Ed Richards (WB)
5 - Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
3- Jack Macrae (WB)

3 - Joel Sudar-Jeffrey (GCFC)
2 - David Swallow (GCFC)
2 - Bailey Williams (WB)
1 - Aaron Naughton (WB)
Those are absolutely bizarre votes.
How one coach could give Richard 5 and the other 1 and one coach give Bont 5 and the other 0 is beyond me

There was a bad one in the last qtr. Needed to take a mark and instead just stuck his hand out into the probable path of the leading forward (who was still 2 or 3 steps away).
Harsh but you need to put your body on the line whether you're a 2nd gamer or a 200 gamer.
Well spotted it would appear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm genuinely confused about what Bev's angle was about Naughton in this morning's presser. Seems like as concession there wasn't anything untoward during the game, but also that he wasn't suggesting there ever was in the first place? Is that how others are reading it?

There definitely has to be some reading between the lines, as usual with Bevo's comments, but he's definitely backtracking. Going from "there were reasons why he wasn't [dominant] in the second half" to "I didn't really say anything" is a jump.

Speaking of Naughts vs Collins, and I mentioned it at the time but, i do wonder if we ever even considered picking him up once he was discarded by Freo. Would be super handy right now.
We had Fletcher Roberts contracted at the time. No way would we have wanted both on the list at the time. Sucks in hindsight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back