Review Dogs 106 def Suns 87

Remove this Banner Ad

The ruck battle didn’t lose us the GF. Not sure why this keeps getting regurgitated.

I don’t think the expectation was for English to ruck one out the whole season. Martin is cooked and Sweet looked a mile off up until last week.

We rucked two out for most of last season including the GF. The thinking that the coaches still refuse to play two rucks should be dead in the water. We just haven’t had the cattle this season and are light on across the list.

The English/Sweet ruck team is just like lasts years ruck set up except English is now No1. Throws a bit of a spanner in the works.

In regards to the development of Sweet. Do you believe he should do so in the 1’s regardless of form/performance?
Did you miss the work of Jackson in the 3rd quarter? I agree it did not lose us the game yet it was influential in a vital stage of the game.

Of course those campaigners Lloyd and Barrett are saying that there's nothing in Collins scragging Naughton at every opportunity in the second half. Gotta make Beveridge look like the bad guy instead of admitting that Naughton constantly gets interfered with.

Of course those campaigners Lloyd and Barrett are saying that there's nothing in Collins scragging Naughton at every opportunity in the second half. Gotta make Beveridge look like the bad guy instead of admitting that Naughton constantly gets interfered with.
To be fair from the footage they showed (and its was at least 10 contests) the Suns did nothing wrong to Naughton. I'm sure there were a couple of instances where we was held illegally but we don't need another media distraction from Bevo, there was zero need to air that publicly.

To be fair from the footage they showed (and its was at least 10 contests) the Suns did nothing wrong to Naughton. I'm sure there were a couple of instances where we was held illegally but we don't need another media distraction from Bevo, there was zero need to air that publicly.
He was asked first, iirc, didn't bring it up.

Did you miss the work of Jackson in the 3rd quarter? I agree it did not lose us the game yet it was influential in a vital stage of the game.

The rot started with our midfield.

As the game was there to be won, they shat the bed. Regardless of how any ruck opposition is going, a strong working midfield should never get beaten the way they did.

Jordan Sweet would’ve looked just as good laying it out to mids who’s direct opponents let them goal side with ease and applied no pressure on the exiting ball. When Bont kicked that goal to put us 20pts up, we shut up shop thinking the game was won.

Jackson was good, but if our clubs review of that loss involved focusing on his output, we’ll be taking two steps backwards.

He was asked first, iirc, didn't bring it up.
Regardless just give a boiler plate answer and move on, I just don't see the benefit outside of taking some pressure off Naughts for a quiet second half. We all know Bevo will die on a hill for his players, you don't need to be doing it publicly every week. Maybe I'm wrong and for the rest of the year Aaron will get 3-4 free kicks a game though and I'll look silly.

Regardless just give a boiler plate answer and move on, I just don't see the benefit outside of taking some pressure off Naughts for a quiet second half. We all know Bevo will die on a hill for his players, you don't need to be doing it publicly every week. Maybe I'm wrong and for the rest of the year Aaron will get 3-4 free kicks a game though and I'll look silly.

Naughts gets stiffed by the umps most weeks. Bev speaking out about it is long over due imo, and does zero harm.

Hopefully the umps take note from here on in.

Probably should have waited and looked at the footage first before commenting during his presser this week, if at all. Not sure what was gained by going into it half-hearted post match. If it’s an ongoing issue then you’d want to make sure the examples you highlight are egregious to demonstrate the point.

I love how in the third quarter Casboult pushed Sweet away in the ruck for a clean shot at goal, and then a couple of minutes later Cordy pushed Casboult away and got a free kick to the top of the square leading to a McComb mark and goal. Great bit of ruckwork by Cordy.

it puts old mud guts Cordy's game into perspective...free kick...dropped chest mark in the goal square
Are you referring to the free kick when the Suns ruck jumped way too early, came nowhere near the ball and landed on Cordy's head and the Umpire called a block against Cordy. I noticed later in the game when Sweet went way too early Sweet was penalized for high contact.

Probably should have waited and looked at the footage first before commenting during his presser this week, if at all. Not sure what was gained by going into it half-hearted post match. If it’s an ongoing issue then you’d want to make sure the examples you highlight are egregious to demonstrate the point.

I watched the segment by Barrett and Lloyd. Admittedly you can't see much, but then that is the point really. From that camera you CAN'T SEE any of the details of what went on in those contests.

My guess is they chose a particular angle to take on the story based on Berko Bevo's performance earlier in the year. If Noble makes the same comment about Larkey do you think they spend an hour on it going through footage....?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the segment by Barrett and Lloyd. Admittedly you can't see much, but then that is the point really. From that camera you CAN'T SEE any of the details of what went on in those contests.

My guess is they chose a particular angle to take on the story based on Berko Bevo's performance earlier in the year. If Noble makes the same comment about Larkey do you think they spend an hour on it going through footage....?

Any coach alludes to illegal tactics the way Bev did and it gets analysed. By ventilating it when and how he did he handed over the narrative control of the issue to the media.

Any coach alludes to illegal tactics the way Bev did and it gets analysed. By ventilating it when and how he did he handed over the narrative control of the issue to the media.
Also puts pressure on umpires to be vigilant regarding the way Astro is defended.

Bevo is not meek or scared of voicing opinions. Time to get used to it folks.

Also puts pressure on umpires to be vigilant regarding the way Astro is defended.

Bevo is not meek or scared of voicing opinions. Time to get used to it folks.

Only if the umpires look at the tape and see something untoward. Otherwise, it's just the Bev who cried wolf.

I think at this point we're all familiar with Bev's tendency to shoot from the hip. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not so great.

Funnily enough I believe the reason he hinted at it rather than stating it outright is likely due to the backlash he copped when he outright accused Joel Hamling of unfair tactics against Naughton in 2019.

100% this.

How on earth could anyone decide there was nothing in it only watching that footage? You could barely tell who the players were.
What was clear was that Naughts was frustrated by something Collins was doing when they weren’t at the contest and was lashing out at times. Most likely getting held in short bursts which isn’t uncommon for defenders to do, but is illegal going on the laws of the game and is regularly pulled up and paid against by the umps.

I’m tipping it was discussed by Naughts and the coaches at the breaks and then noted by them.

Naughts cops the raw end of the stick in most of the games he plays compared to other key forwards, and writing off what Bev brought up in the presser, ignoring Naughts history with the umps and using half arsed footage to decide our coach is in the wrong is a strange stance to take.

Only if the umpires look at the tape and see something untoward. Otherwise, it's just the Bev who cried wolf.

I think at this point we're all familiar with Bev's tendency to shoot from the hip. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not so great.
We will see moving forward if Astro gets some cheap frees.

100% this.

How on earth could anyone decide there was nothing in it only watching that footage? You could barely tell who the players were.
What was clear was that Naughts was frustrated by something Collins was doing when they weren’t at the contest and was lashing out at times. Most likely getting held in short bursts which isn’t uncommon for defenders to do, but is illegal going on the laws of the game and is regularly pulled up and paid against by the umps.

I’m tipping it was discussed by Naughts and the coaches at the breaks and then noted by them.

Naughts cops the raw end of the stick in most of the games he plays compared to other key forwards, and writing off what Bev brought up in the presser, ignoring Naughts history with the umps and using half arsed footage to decide our coach is in the wrong is a strange stance to take.
In the Damo/Lloyd footage (which is admittedly handpicked by them) you can clearly see Naughts & Collins and nothing illegal is done by Collins in any of the clips. Doesn't mean Collins wasn't smacking Naughton in the chops every second play though, not like MARS stadium has the most sophisticated camera work.

Speaking of which I still can't believe the non Chol review in the 4th quarter, the best angle they had was from 20m away! Stunning how a multi billion dollar sport can still be so amateur.

In the Damo/Lloyd footage (which is admittedly handpicked by them) you can clearly see Naughts & Collins and nothing illegal is done by Collins in any of the clips. Doesn't mean Collins wasn't smacking Naughton in the chops every second play though, not like MARS stadium has the most sophisticated camera work.

Speaking of which I still can't believe the non Chol review in the 4th quarter, the best angle they had was from 20m away! Stunning how a multi billion dollar sport can still be so amateur.

The most sensible commentary on Bevo's comments I've read:

Completely baffled by the response in here.
Beveridge was right to raise the issue.

The footage was a complete stitch up and didn't even show the free kicks against both were in retaliation to being held off the ball with both arms. Even so the footage shows Collins with his back to the contest, holding Naughton with both arms around him before the ball is even there, scragging him to the ground twice and hitting him high once. All for zero free kicks.

Think a few are getting sucked in by Barrett and Lloyd's commentary.

This wasn't simple using the body to bump him off line or body pressure that Moz was amazing at, this was illegal tactics being used and called out by the coach as he should. This is no reflection on Collins. He kept getting away with it (and was actually rewarded on two occasions) so why not keep going. Umpires needed to stamp it out early by giving Naughts a free.

Completely baffled by the response in here.
Beveridge was right to raise the issue.

The footage was a complete stitch up and didn't even show the free kicks against both were in retaliation to being held off the ball with both arms. Even so the footage shows Collins with his back to the contest, holding Naughton with both arms around him before the ball is even there, scragging him to the ground twice and hitting him high once. All for zero free kicks.

Think a few are getting sucked in by Barrett and Lloyd's commentary.

This wasn't simple using the body to bump him off line or body pressure that Moz was amazing at, this was illegal tactics being used and called out by the coach as he should. This is no reflection on Collins. He kept getting away with it (and was actually rewarded on two occasions) so why not keep going. Umpires needed to stamp it out early by giving Naughts a free.

Great post - 100% on the money.

Whilst Bevo may have unfavourably gone the media after round 1 and has a long history of media dislike with Barrett and Co, he is not critical of umps very often.

I’d take the Barrett/Lloyd commentary and “facts” with the grain of salt they should be taken with!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back