Review Dogs 106 def Suns 87

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Sweet was good. Just needs to up his involvement around the ground. Maybe just a belief thing.

Ed Richards - Brilliant, brilliant game. Brave, sure hands, penetrating kick.

Williams - adds a different dimension to the wings. Scott was also good.

Buku didn't get near it today. I suspect he stays in but plenty of learnings for him. Needs to get on his bike and present on some leads rather than fly from the back each time.

Gardner was an absolute train wreck. Any time he went near the ball was either a lost of contest or a free against (or a potential free)

Cleary - the elephant in the room here. Shirked more than one contest, didn't go hard enough. If he is not dropped this week he'll be a lucky boy.
11 1%s suggests that Gardner got his fair share of spoils in. Not sure about the Cleary comment, I would have to watch the game again. Took at least one contested mark backing into a pack and did some nice things.

Full stats breakdown…

Expected Score / Actual Score (Expected Accuracy / Actual Accuracy)
WB: 113 / 106 (46% / 42%)
GC: 76 / 87 (49% / 57%)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: 37 / 19

Centre Bounce Attendance
23 - Sweet
18 - Liberatore
17 - Macrae
15 - Bontempelli, B. Smith
13 - Dunkley
12 - Treloar
7 - Cordy

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
81 - Sweet (27 / 10)
26 - Cordy (6 / 2)
5 - Naughton (0 / 0)
2 - Khamis (1 / 0)
1 - Bontempelli (0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 12
GC: 21

First Possessions

WB: 48
GC: 48

Clearances / Effective Clearances

WB: 49 / 40
GC: 35 / 23

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 67%
GC: 72%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 68%
GC: 77%

Smothers
WB: 14

GC: 7

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 60%
GC: 53%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 74%
GC: 73%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 12
GC: 8

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
GC: 3

Score Launches
5 - Macrae
4 - Richards, Williams
3 - Sweet
2 - Dale, Dunkley, Cordy, Liberatore, West
1 - Bontempelli, Gardner, Scott, B. Smith

Shots At Goal
WB: 36 (42%)
GC: 23 (57%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Gold Coast)

Set Shot: 9.8 / 5.5
Snap: 3.6 / 7.4
On Run: 1.1 / 1.0
Mark Play On: 1.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 1.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.2 / 1.0
15M-30M: 8.5 / 7.3
31M-40M: 2.3 / 4.4
41M-50M: 2.4 / 1.1
51M+: 2.3 / 0.1

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 0.4 / 1.1
Scores In Time-On: 6.4 / 7.5

Targets Inside 50

24 - No target
9 - Naughton
5 - Bontempelli
3 - Khamis
2 - Cordy, McNeil
1 - Dunkley, Macrae, Treloar, Williams

Kick In / Kick In Play On
7 / 7 - Dale
2 / 2- Daniel

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 15
GC: 37

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks

GC: 6

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 19
GC: 29

Forward Half Turnovers

WB: 45

GC: 35

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 15
GC: 12

Unforced Turnovers By Player
4 - Bontempelli
2 - Keath, Treloar
1- Dale, Macrae, McComb, O’Brien, B. Smith, West, Williams

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)

GC: 1

No Pressure Errors
WB: 8

GC: 1

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
2 - Cleary, Liberatore, O’Brien
1 - Dunkley

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
130 - Bontempelli
122 - Richards
117 - B. Smith
117 - Dunkley
115 - Naughton
105 - Macrae
95 - Williams
95 - Dale
93 - Treloar
92 - Liberatore
87 - Daniel
79 - West
79 - McComb
77 - Scott
76 - Sweet
76 - Cleary
72 - McNeil
54 - O’Brien
48 - Cordy
42 - Gardner
28 - Keath
12 - Khamis

AFL Player Rating Points
23.8 - Bontempelli
18.2 - Richards
16.4 - B. Smith
15.3 - Naughton
13.7 - Macrae
13.3 - Williams
13.0 - Dunkley
10.4 - McComb
9.7 - Scott
9.6 - Treloar
9.4 - Liberatore
8.9 - Daniel
8.8 - West
7.8 - Sweet
7.2 - Dale
6.9 - O’Brien
6.6 - Gardner
6.3 - Cordy
6.1 - Cleary
5.3 - McNeil
1.1 - Keath
-2.2 - Khamis
DNP - R. Smith

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 43%
GC: 57%

Q2
WB: 55%
GC: 45%

Q3
WB: 59%
GC: 41%

Q4
WB: 50%
GC: 50%

Match
WB: 52%
GC: 48%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 160 (Poor)
GC: 168 (Poor)

Q2
WB: 204 (Elite)
GC: 196 (Above Average)

Q3
WB: 215 (Elite)
GC: 216 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 182 (Average)
GC: 186 (Average)

Match
WB:189 (Average)
GC: 193 (Above Average)

Free Kick Summary

FK.png

Score Sources

SS.png

Gardner was really good today - very good signs that he was able to counter Casboult’s aerial threat all day.

Keath needs to get a decent run with injuries to pick up some form…

And then Libba39

Gardner was an absolute train wreck. Any time he went near the ball was either a lost of contest or a free against (or a potential free)

Just shows how people see things differently, I thought he was poor in the contest and played tunnel ball at one stage that cost a goal but I'm not his biggest fan.

He does really worry me against good forwards albeit Casboult has been good this year
I only watched on the TeeeeV.

From where I sat their talls didn't really threaten and had almost no effect on the game. Thats how I judge the performance of the back half talls. Indeed their only goal came from the foot of Chol that was a deliberate as the goal that the Bont kicked that turned at a right angle as it was going through for a point.

Chol and Casbault only needed to have their season average games and we would've lost given how much trouble we were having with their medium/small forwards.

The fact that Bevo played two rucks in last years grand final should be all the convincing you need that he values the position. Obviously we did that because Bruce was out but even at the beginning of last year we had stages where we played the two forwards and two rucks.
Yup that 1 game over the other 7 years of his coaching career really says a lot…

I imagine Bevo would have some reservations about his pressure forward compared to Cordy but we should have enough from the others.
Interested to hear your thoughts on the disagree immortalmike and doggies ftw . You don’t think the coaching panel will be weighing up what they perceive Cordy brings to the forward line compared to what a genuine ruck would bring?

Williams seals win as Bulldogs outlast gutsy Suns​

Andrew Stafford

By Andrew Stafford

May 21, 2022 — 5.01pm

The Western Bulldogs have held on for an enthralling win at Ballarat against the Gold Coast Suns, Bailey Williams kicking what turned out to be the sealing goal with two minutes to go in a game they mostly controlled, but never fully had in their keeping.
The ascendant Suns lost no friends in a gutsy performance. They were playing hurt – losing luckless defender Rory Thompson and Jy Farrar to injury – and they never stopped asking questions of the Bulldogs.
Even after Williams’ goal, they kept coming – Malcolm Rosa Jr snapping his first to give the visitors one last sniff and Ben Ainsworth missing a snap, before Robbie McComb and Bailey Smith finally finished the job for the Dogs with goals in the last minute.

Bailey Williams kicks for goal.

Bailey Williams kicks for goal. CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
The Bulldogs decisively won the battle between two of the strongest centre-square midfields in the competition, despite the dominance of Gold Coast ruckman Jarrod Witts, trouncing the Suns in the clearances, with the usually prolific Touk Miller held to just 19 disposals.

The player of the first half was Aaron Naughton, who beat a very good opponent in Sam Collins, taking four marks – all contested – and kicking 3.2, including the first goal of the game from a clean Smith clearance.
The Suns were holding their own around the ball, but with Mabior Chol and Levi Casboult quiet, the major difference between the teams was the Dogs’ ability to create scoring opportunities in attack, with Naughton the prime target.
[PLAYERCARD]Aaron Naughton[/PLAYERCARD], right, was instrumental for the Bulldogs.

Aaron Naughton, right, was instrumental for the Bulldogs. CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Late in the first quarter, he kicked his second, prompting coach Stuart Dew to move Thompson on to him. Naughton appeared to wish Thompson well before the bounce – after the defender’s years-long absence due to injury – then immediately kicked his third on him.
At that point, it looked like the Dogs had control of the game. For the first half of the second quarter, they thrashed the Suns around the ball, and Smith had the Sherrin on a string, bursting from the front of stoppages at will.

But they couldn’t put the Suns away, kicking 2.7 for the quarter, and from limited opportunities, the Suns hit back, small forwards Ben Ainsworth and Joel Jeffery doing most of the damage.
Again, the Suns’ leaders stood up to be counted, especially former skipper David Swallow. However, they also had excellent contributions from their younger cohort, with Farrar and Jeffery playing their best games at senior level.

Play Video
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/javascript:void(0);

Jeffries' incredible overhead goal

'I cannot embarrass myself right now:' Ajdin Hrustic

Suns forward Joel Jeffries snaps one over his head in high congestion against the Bulldogs
It held the Bulldogs to a lead of just seven points at half-time, and the Suns had won the quarter by a point against the run of play. But the feeling that they were only just hanging in there was confirmed as the weight of numbers began to tell against them.
The Bulldogs peppered the sticks for the first 10 minutes of the third quarter before Andrew Dunkley and Adam Treloar, in his 200th game, broke it open. When skipper Marcus Bontempelli bounced through a leg-break, the margin had blown out to 32 points.

Still, the Suns surged. Jeffery bobbed up with two more eye-catching goals, Izak Rankine continuing a rich run of form with the assist. He also set up Ainsworth with a cleverly delayed handpass.
But the cream rose to the top in the end, Bontempelli icing a magnificent game with a contested mark for his second goal, blasting through a third to put the match beyond the brave Suns’ reach.
Goals
Western Bulldogs:
Naughton 3, Bontempelli 3, McNeil 2, Williams 2, McComb 2, Dunkley, Treloar, Smith.
Gold Coast Suns: Jeffery 5, Ainsworth 3, Farrar, Chol, Rankine, Ellis, Rosa.
Best
Western Bulldogs:
Bontempelli, Macrae, Smith, Naughton, Williams, Richards.
Gold Coast Suns: Swallow, Jeffery, Lemmens, Ainsworth, Ballard, Farrar.
Injuries
Western Bulldogs:
Nil.
Gold Coast Suns: Thompson (knee), Farrar (concussion).
Umpires: Whetton, Stevic, Pell.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the disagree immortalmike and doggies ftw . You don’t think the coaching panel will be weighing up what they perceive Cordy brings to the forward line compared to what a genuine ruck would bring?
Really embarrassing from you immortalmike . It’s a simple question and banging the disagree button yet again just because I disagreed with a post of yours on another thread earlier today is incredibly immature.

Glad for the win. Thought Macrae was excellent as always. Umpires giving frees against Naughton was diabolical for his confidence and allowed his opponent to molest him at every contest. Otherwise pleasing performance overall.

However, Daniel is becoming a real worry for mine. Offers no resistance. I wonder if he's carrying something.

Also what's with the captain handling the ball like a prime Nathan Djerkurra?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cordy should never play for us again. Offers absolutely nothing, thank you your service Zaine!

How laughable was the lack of arc review for Chol’s 4th quarter goal? Only one replay shown of it, nothing to see here, move on. 5 Doggies players immediately called that it was touched.

Touk Miller is a dominant mid fielder, if you were at the game, who took him out of his normal patterns? Dunks?

Really embarrassing from you immortalmike . It’s a simple question and banging the disagree button yet again just because I disagreed with a post of yours on another thread earlier today is incredibly immature.
Translation "It's embarrassing and immature when you disagree with my posts with no discussion. But completely fine when I do it."

Have you thought about a career in federal politics?

Happy you got your attention now. Jog on now mate

Last edited:
Translation "It's embarrassing and immature when you disagree with my posts with no discussion. But completely fine when I do it."

Have you thought about a career in federal politics?

Happy you got your attention now. Jog on now mate
No, I disagreed with your rude post at someone who was making a genuinely valid and interesting point in discussion with you. “What a poor response. Genuinely not worth bothering with.” is all you had to respond and that’s what I disagreed with.

I don't think I said that. Are they best 22? I don't think so. Did they contribute meaningfully today? For the most part. I would have selected them both today and been happy enough with their performances. But they'll both be squeezed, IMO, if/when the cavalry arrive (English, Bruce, Hunter, McLean, JJ, VDM(?), Duryea, Hannan).
🤢 please stop. Hannan is not in the Calvary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back