Review Dogs 106 def Suns 87

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
No, I disagreed with your rude post at someone who was making a genuinely valid and interesting point in discussion with you. “What a poor response. Genuinely not worth bothering with.” is all you had to respond and that’s what I disagreed with.
Nobody cares dude. Stop derailing the thread.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think Sweet will play with Timmy when hes back. Cant expect timmy to run up and down like he has been and allows him to ease back into the ruck after his flu. Richards was amazing BOG. Macrae was suburb too.
Reckon there is a place for Sweet, can't afford to have Cordy rucking. Witts cut loose when matched up against him.
Allowed the Suns to get a run on

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nobody cares dude. Stop derailing the thread.
You clearly do hence you keep “disagreeing”. I’m trying to clarify what part you disagree with? It’s kind of how discussion forums work. I asked a simple question above about the coaching panel weighing up Cordy versus Sweet forward that you disagreed with. It seems completely on track for a thread about the game.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also, I thought today was the best our forward line functioned all year.

McNeil or West when Weightman comes back?
Line ball between them so far McNeil hits the scoreboard more often so slightly ahead but either could be a handy forward

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Can someone be kind enough to detail Ed Richards' game and why he was bog. Both defensively and offensively would be great, thanks

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
You clearly do hence you keep “disagreeing”. I’m trying to clarify what part you disagree with? It’s kind of how discussion forums work. I asked a simple question above about the coaching panel weighing up Cordy versus Sweet forward that you disagreed with. It seems completely on track for a thread about the game.

You're not wrong here mate, it's a big reason i've dropped off this site, especially mid week. Instead of discussion, more often than not you get a patronising response or the disagree icon with no explanation. So i don't bother anymore.

Last edited:

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting why O'brien won't be used forward on occasions.Cordy and O'Brien's could easily switch at any time.It could be used tactically to confuse the opposition .And Obrien probably has better forward craft anyway, Cordy the better pressure provider.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The talls were pretty rock solid. It was our smalls in particular Daniel and Dale who go slaughtered by the Suns forwards.

We missed the steadiness of Duryea like we missed easy goals out there today.
Sun's forwards nearly all have some serious toe , makes it difficult to cover them particularly Daniel as he isn't super quick.
They on occasions broke free and we couldn't reel them in. Glad to get away with a win particularly as we are still well under strength

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can anyone at the game expend on Bevo’s comments on the Suns’ tactics on Naughton after half time? He pretty heavily insinuated he was being held.

With the free Naughton gave away on Collins in the square, it certainly stood out to me on the replay that Collins was standing with his back completely to the ball holding Naughton.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Fantastic game for Richards, is now only behind Dale in the small to medium running defender category. Daniel is a worry though, form has dropped, struggles against fast opposition and has physical limitations, he can’t really defend. I think he needs a move, time to reinvent.
Great work Sweet, although he tired, needs to stay in to support English, it a long season to expect English to do it all on his own. Cordy makes way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think I said that. Are they best 22? I don't think so. Did they contribute meaningfully today? For the most part. I would have selected them both today and been happy enough with their performances. But they'll both be squeezed, IMO, if/when the cavalry arrive (English, Bruce, Hunter, McLean, JJ, VDM(?), Duryea, Hannan).
Don’t forget Weightman.

We must remember that these guys will probably take time to get back to their best. It probably won’t mean an instant improvement to the team. Plus the existing team members will have to adjust all over again to their particular skills and positioning. It could be a rough path to navigate.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It feels as if Caleb is struggling to clear 30m on his kicks these days. Getting his kicks and some but can’t remember the last time he put his imprint on a game.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can anyone at the game expend on Bevo’s comments on the Suns’ tactics on Naughton after half time? He pretty heavily insinuated he was being held.

With the free Naughton gave away on Collins in the square, it certainly stood out to me on the replay that Collins was standing with his back completely to the ball holding Naughton.
Wasn't just holding was barging him backwards but when Naughton flings him out of the way it's a free kick.
Not sure how you have no eyes on the ball and actively holding how can that not be a free??

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our fixture rounds 16-21 is brutal. We have to get players back and find something near our best form before then if we are going to do something this season.

Several posts alluding to Sweet's lack of ability to run out a game, his lack of fitness. He's now 24, in his 4th year. Wouldn't it be justified to expect he should easily be able to do the great majority of ruck work in a game? 22 year old Tom DeKoning can do it, why can't Sweet?

Can someone be kind enough to detail Ed Richards' game and why he was bog. Both defensively and offensively would be great, thanks

He was like a brick wall in defence.

Wonder Woman Reaction GIF

Several posts alluding to Sweet's lack of ability to run out a game, his lack of fitness. He's now 24, in his 4th year. Wouldn't it be justified to expect he should easily be able to do the great majority of ruck work in a game? 22 year old Tom DeKoning can do it, why can't Sweet?
Yes, it would. Hadn't been a topical issue before today so we need to watch and see if it's just where he's at ... or was it just a glitch? Maybe he'd had a virus too? (for instance)

McNeil’s tackling was huge, impressive.

Cleary got tackle of the day though, he absolutely crunched someone late on. Impressive effort from a second gamer, Clay Smith vibes who used to just hit people with his body and then grab on second

• Not buying the Sweet love-in. He had 1 disposal for the match and 0 total markets for the match that was outside of the free kicks he won, Witts got on top of the game late. I'm not criticising him, I actually think he did as well as he could have been expected to given we know his VFL form, base expectations and the quality of player he's up against. He can certainly keep on developing and growing as a player. But English is coming straight back in the team for him, any idea of tandem rucks or the fact that he "was actually good" is kinda ridiculous. Didn't play worse than the expectations of a VFL player, and competed as well as I would have liked.
  • It's been said enough how good Richards has played but I just want to give him credit for improving as a player after having 60-odd games and looking actually quite poor in a lot of it. I understand he was out of position for the good part of three years having to play wing and half-forward rather than his natural half-back, but footy is still footy and it's one of the more extraordinary turnarounds for a bloke, while young, had played enough league games that you can say was already in the middle part of his career. He's getting better and better.
  • Cordy did some okay things. Agree lack of output is a worry for him, but he would have been dropped already and he played a better game than some of his more recent games.
  • Scott's playing a good role on the wing, and some of the stoppage stuff on his side of the wing he had a job tagging Miller, and did a fantastic job at it. And he used the ball very well. 10 kicks and 4 handballs, but 13 of his disposals were still effective, Macrae also ran with Miller at stoppages and it's incredible how valuable Macrae is is to performing at a consistent role.
  • McComb's hardness at the ball stood out, and he doesn't panic in traffic. The fact that he does panic outside of traffic is still a work in progress.
  • Being on report played with Buku's head. He was woeful - mistiming leads, getting pushed under high balls, having virtually no influence on the game. if JUH played a game like that there'd be 50 posts in this thread already about it. Different expectations and starting points doesn't change the quality of output game. Potential suspension aside, there's a very decent chance that we simply have to take yet another look at Schache or JUH at least until Bruce comes back.
  • O'Brien's very good last quarter saved him from a bad game, his first three were very poor. Stood up when it mattered.
  • West generally used the ball fine when he had it but it's clear that he has some athletic limitations that might limit overall impact. Not much agility, didn't get a heap of separation against opponents, and is still 180cm. McComb's a much more decent chance to keep his spot if we want to rush Weightman back in, or if JJ comes back in a week or two I reckon.
  • Bont will poll 3 in this game and assuming he hadn't polled 3 already this season (AFL Brownlow Predictor doesn't have him polling in a game this year), will end a spell of 12 games without polling a 3 going back to our Melbourne win last year. For a bloke who we've become accustomed to to playing at a top-10 in the league level for basically seven seasons now, it's good to see that kind of quality performance return after disappearing to an extent this year. It's a lot easier to win games, a lot else can go wrong, when you have the destructive force of one of the league's absolute best players playing to the standard. We've missed it.

doggie dog

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m not sure the side would have won that if not for Richards marking in the last quarter. The backline looked shaky all day even though the Suns weren’t getting great entries, it certainly highlighted how important Duryea is at ground level.

I think this just proves the Sweet doubters completely wrong, the side was dominant around the ball when he was in there. Having a physical presence gives the midfield a chance, which is all they need. Hopefully he stays in with English back and the side gets the ruck setup that I called for before the season started.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
With Bruce coming, Buku fitting in upfront and Marra learning his craft, no point putting either ruck up front, Its not like Timmy/Sweety are great kicks for goals.
Timmy 1st ruck, he has earned that, but bring Sweety off the bench and then rest timmy down back for marking power.
Rotate both Rucks as a free safety down back.
We might be able to squeeze more life out of keathy, reduce some of the soft tissue issues with him.

Back