Review Dogs 118 Def Suns 56 - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d bet my a$$ you weren’t there and didn’t see his game live were you?

So you have no idea how poor he was on the day on nearly every facet of the game.

I’d run down his issues but it’s a waste of time because people in here mostly look at the name of the poster and then just disagree because they can.

I haven’t bothered to watch much of the country game last week so will take on board he was very good there so let’s see how he goes against the Giants and Tigers. If he play like yesterday they may be his last two games ever

If people were at the game you would have also seen Bailey Smiths work rate for 95% of the game and have no reason to fault him at all. His entry on the last that went to no one was a pass to a bulldog that changed leads from in to out as he kicked it. I was directly behind the ball and he kicked it exactly were he was running and the length required but it’s ok to lambast a bloke who has been tearing it up and no one says boo 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Cornes on Bont, suggesting that he'll play where ever he is needed whereas Cripps is trying to do too much. For once, I agree with Cornes and his Carlton bashing ways. Bont was amazing yesterday. I wish Cripps would sacrifice his game more like Bont does. He will never kick as well as Bont, but he can do the small things that the Bont does so well.

Also, well done. I said it Round 2; the Dogs midfield is scary good how functional it is. Continues to impress me. Also, this Club Board has made me dismiss my hate of the Western Bulldogs. Too long I formed my opinion of oppo supporters based on the bogans I grew up around in the Western burbs of Melbourne. Classy side, classy supporter base and I expect to see this side in the GF.

I’d bet my a$$ you weren’t there and didn’t see his game live were you?

So you have no idea how poor he was on the day on nearly every facet of the game.

I haven’t bothered to watch much of the country game last week so will take on board he was very good

Bangs head

I wasn’t totally sure about Keath until yesterday. I thought he was a very handy player but yesterday he was a wall and lead and directed the backline.

Very impressive game from him and the mongrel he adds just makes him better for me.

Bont has added the Dusty stiff arm to his game, his first half was elite as was Duryea who I’ve backed since day one moving from Hawthorn.

Very impressive win imo considering we are carrying a few still

I wasn’t totally sure about Keath until yesterday. I thought he was a very handy player but yesterday he was a wall and lead and directed the backline.

Very impressive game from him and the mongrel he adds just makes him better for me.

Bont has added the Dusty stiff arm to his game, his first half was elite as was Duryea who I’ve backed since day one moving from Hawthorn.

Very impressive win imo considering we are carrying a few still
I think McNeils and Scott’s time is up. McNeil gets so much opportunity yet doesn’t capitalise. People say he has pace but I reckon Treloar is faster.

Scott I don’t know what to do with.

I think McNeils and Scott’s time is up. McNeil gets so much opportunity yet doesn’t capitalise. People say he has pace but I reckon Treloar is faster.

Scott I don’t know what to do with.

They both do a lot of pressure “acts” but about nothing else.

Their possession, goal, and tackle stats are really average and I still don’t see what either of them adds.

I doubt very much they add more than any of Cav, Weightman, Jong, Wallis, Or a few others

If they are legitimately being picked before VDM then there is a serious issue imo.

We are 5-0 basically plying two short every week

They both do a lot of pressure “acts” but about nothing else.

Their possession, goal, and tackle stats are really average and I still don’t see what either of them adds.

I doubt very much they add more than any of Cav, Weightman, Jong, Wallis, Or a few others

If they are legitimately being picked before VDM then there is a serious issue imo.

We are 5-0 basically plying two short every week
VDM was managed due to “back spasms” I think. Not dropped so he’ll come back into the side with Daniel.

At least we seem to have a healthy list and managing it well by circling a couple players throughout the team. Helps when the end of season and finals come and if we have a few injuries.

I feel Bruce has the job of being the designated step ladder for English and Astro. He will have a sore head today.

All of our forwards were average yesterday considering the midfield dominated. The Gold Coast defenders battled manfully.

Bont is an absolute beast.

I feel Bruce has the job of being the designated step ladder for English and Astro. He will have a sore head today.

All of our forwards were average yesterday considering the midfield dominated. The Gold Coast defenders battled manfully.

Bont is an absolute beast.
Their defence is easily their strongest area of the ground. Despite missing a few key players, they can still be tough to score against. Most of their forwards and mids were passengers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The third quarter was disappointing and frustrating. We could have won the game by a 100 points, and we probably should have.

But we did take back control of the game with Bont’s goal at the end, and then we won the last quarter convincingly (4.7 to 1.4). We corrected the ship.

Had we been playing better opposition, none of this would have transpired as we wouldn’t have been ahead by so much at half time to switch off in the third quarter.

Every year premiership teams drop games they should have won, or played the odd poor quarter. Richmond is the most recent example.

Obviously, we can’t bring that third quarter performance against good teams otherwise we will lose matches.

There is still room for improvement and things to tinker with. Onwards and upwards.

yes but we dropped the third against West Coast and the Lions too.

Was at the game with the family - all flew down from Sydney.

Strange to watch a game that we played well below our standard in other games this year and yet won by 10 goals? I have been a Bulldog supporter for 50+ years and have my 1989 guernsey and am just not used to being that much better than the opposition?

Reality check though - they were struggling before the injuries they have and just don’t have the depth - we were expected to win and did so all good.

A couple of observations:

- Midfield just does not let up - Bont, Macrae and Libba rotate with Dunkley, Trelor and Smith (though played wing only yesterday). This means like the great Australian cricket teams over 10 years ago that not everyone (except Macrae) will always have the best game but they share the load. Can’t be tagged and now with Smith and Trelor adding breakaway speed don’t have any obvious weaknesses.

- is it just me or do we now have a tall forward combo that is almost impossible to match up on: Bruce is a big lead - if he stays under the ball he tends to drop it but when he leads he is hard to stop - if only at least two didn’t bounce of his chest! Naughty is like Riewoldt- he is more than a key forward but moves fast and can crash contested marks equal to any in the comp. and then bring in English - when on the lead a giant squid with jet packs couldn’t get an arm in. And then if you have that covered - roll Bont in as CHF and he would be a top 5 in that position . (And as others have said Shaq kicked 5.4 and could have got 10, 12 marks and was a bully with a generational CHF in dev). This allows us to let Naughty roam and roll back to defence that will matter in the finals. Young is fast enough to play on smalls and this flexibility gives us a great option if oppo forward get away from us or an injury gets us during the game

- Only problem is making sure each plays their role and spreads - as the ball was coming down there were very few - sometimes No leads - too congested.

- A bit less forward pressure than we would have liked an Lukoscious was outstanding

- Defence was generally good but Keath, Dale and Duryea had to cover for some lapses. These three were fantastic.

- Not sure exactly when Williams went off but Doc slipped straight in and played his best game of the season.

- Wood and Young and JJ were all off - not a lot going down there but we were in the nose bleeds and could see the zone fall apart a few times with people looking around at each other and not keeping discipline. Williams and Daniel make a big difference. Sexton normally kills us but didn’t see him - I think Dale was closest to him in the zone. Dale has added precision’s we have not seen since Bob at HBF. Missed Daniel but he also took some great tough defensive marks.

- Young was not great but not as bad as some say - there was not a lot of pressure situations or high balls coming in - more of a spread. When there was a bit of heat he came in with a few important spoils. But he does not have a go to mode when things aren’t going well - ie lock down or intercept. Thought he should have just dropped in front and taken intercepts but he didn’t seem to want to get in Keaths way? Was playing on Corbett who was OK but was spoiled mostly so didn’t do much damage.

- Missed a bit of run. JJ had a chance to stamp this game as a return to form but was very quiet and Smith also not at his best. VDM was missed in the run and chase.

- Scott was a bit more prominent and seems much more comfortable as a forward. I am a fan of West but he is more of a mid than small forward. Cavarra came on and I was hoping he made a big impact against a weaker opposition but he didn’t really take it unfortunately- he deserved the run and kicks goals.

- McNeil is almost here - he is fast and tries to swoop at speed but just seems to fumble a bit too much at this stage. The talent is there and had a couple go great small forward shots. One goal and could have had two others and a breakout. Is very close.

- Would I make some changes next week? I think Martin comes back in for Sweet as part of the rotation. He will deal with Mumford. Sweet to get another go in four weeks. Williams if out will be replaced by Daniel as a no brainer. Hopefully Cavarra gets another go and one of Scott, McNeil drop back as part of their development? Shaq is knocking the door down but would need some juggling to not slow us down too much - four tall forwards does not make sense but English will play more ruck and so may only be 3 in the forward line at a time? Not sure this works.

- last for Macrae - this was Bonti 150 and he was great but IMHO Macrae is our most valuable player. Watching him closely he is scrapping and putting pressure on the opposition and talking to our players the whole time and has incredible efficiency. 17 games in a row over 30 is off the chart. He also has an incredible connection with Libba - they just seem to know where each other are.

Cornes on Bont, suggesting that he'll play where ever he is needed whereas Cripps is trying to do too much. For once, I agree with Cornes and his Carlton bashing ways. Bont was amazing yesterday. I wish Cripps would sacrifice his game more like Bont does. He will never kick as well as Bont, but he can do the small things that the Bont does so well.

Also, well done. I said it Round 2; the Dogs midfield is scary good how functional it is. Continues to impress me. Also, this Club Board has made me dismiss my hate of the Western Bulldogs. Too long I formed my opinion of oppo supporters based on the bogans I grew up around in the Western burbs of Melbourne. Classy side, classy supporter base and I expect to see this side in the GF.
Username checks out

I’ve been a critic of JJ since day one, but I liked his game yesterday and now that he’s been dropped and getting less attention, I think he is playing a great role. Still don’t see it with Scott and McNeil doesn’t nail enough shots to keep Cavarra and West out. I’d love to see West get a decent run at it as a small forward. He has grunt and can kick a goal, kicked a ripper from 55 on the boundary yesterday at WO

I don’t know whether to console or congratulate you doggies
It was after the granny and apparently wore his Norm smith the whole time so idk can’t be too mad, good on him. Was before we were dating at least 😂 The way we’re going my right now the only bloke in the team I wouldn’t want to * my missus is Anthony *in Scott

Are there still Dogs fans who wish we had selected Darcy MacPherson? I thought he was ordinary at best yesterday and not sure he'd get a game for us at the moment.

The problem for Young is that Bevo wants him to play multiple roles at the same time.

Lockdown defender, intercept defender, play on speedy small players then on big forwards. Then in the ruck. Bont can do this, but many others.

I would just give him one role, when he becomes good at that start to expand his role.

Yes, which is a free kick, not 50, Sexton didn’t have control of the mark at that point

Nah mate , Sexton marked the ball then Croz hit him with an unnecessary shoulder.

Was soft but it’s a 50 everyday of the week

The problem for Young is that Bevo wants him to play multiple roles at the same time.

Lockdown defender, intercept defender, play on speedy small players then on big forwards. Then in the ruck. Bont can do this, but many others.

I would just give him one role, when he becomes good at that start to expand his role.

I would like to see both Keath and Gardiner as the key backs and Young to play the intercept role/3rd man up like Wood does. His height and speed combo could be a real weapon.

I liked Adam Rama on RSN this week when they were discussing the Dogs he said ” there is this playet called Jack Macrae You might not have heard of him but he goes alright“!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back