Review Dogs 118 Def Suns 56 - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some people are far too concerned by our temporary lapse in Q3 yesterday. This happens from time to time to every team in the AFL, regardless of their strength or their opposition.

Q3 yesterday was our worst of the year (-20) with our only other similar quarter being against West Coast, also in Q3 (-19). We've either won or narrowly lost (<8 points) every other quarter for the year. Its a relatively small sample size but those numbers don't point towards a team prone to regular fadeouts. We're switched on.

Pretty sure this is correct. You could hear the umpire say it was a free for "high contact", hence the confusion with everyone assuming it was to Macrae.
I’m not so sure i thought it was the umpire down the field paying against macrae either way there was a distinct flavour of the umpires picking out tiggy touchwood stuff cause GC were getting smashed

Can someone explain the last qtr 50 Mtr and goal to I think it was Sexton

First half was sublime, great pressure at the contest, denied them the ball and when they did have it forced them to chip around and go no where.

Third quarter took the foot off the gas thinking the game was done and they wouldn’t show any fight. It showed that when we don’t bring the pressure at the contest and work hard on transition we can be opened up. Just a subtle wake up call.

Couple of my observations being live, McNiel works hard for his team mates putting a lot of blocks on and gets a hand to the ball a lot. Still needs to work out a way to impact more but I saw more from him that shows up on TV.

I see your perspective and have similar misgivings. I'm hopeful that Dale can continue to improve and perform well.

The baiting on this forum has become tedious and at pandemic levels. There's a reason I no longer offer any further long form or posts. It is worthless. There are those determined to make the least charitable interpretation of posts and then slam the poster for something they obviously didn't mean. There are times where I have been close to deactivating my account because of this. Fortunately there are some lovely people in here, yourself included who have reached out during some very dark times for me. This is why I continue to be a presence.
Don’t take it so seriously mate

This is a footy forum and it inspires passion that sometimes crosses the line but the majority of us are just good Doggies supporters who want our team to win even idiot posters who can’t use multi replies and don’t put any thought into their responses

I’m not so sure i thought it was the umpire down the field paying against macrae either way there was a distinct flavour of the umpires picking out tiggy touchwood stuff cause GC were getting smashed

Crozier was marginally late with a softish bump. It was technically there I guess.

Our midfield dominance reminds me of the Lions in the early 2000’s but they do make our backline appear better than they are. Am a little worried come finals time. Young was average today after a blinder last week. Need to give him 6 weeks to build up his confidence and feel settled in. Has far more upside than both Gardner and Cordy.

Thought it was Scott’s best game but he Still offers nothing that guarantees him a game in front of others. we need to rotate others through Scott’s aNd McNeil positions to see who deserves it.

I am a Lipi fan, i sat on the wing on level 3 today to have a close look at running patterns, efforts etc. Lipi often runs hard Into the right positions but is ignored. His disposal is elite. He Directly set up 3 goals today, should have been 4 but Naughts in the post with one. Tap to Treloar was perfect, handball to Hunter was good, he broke a tackle and picked the perfect option and his perfectly waited kick to Naughton. His defensive pressure was good also. He is not overly quick but his chase on Weller was good as he is very quick. He should always be in the team before Scott, McNeil and VDM

The umpire down the field paid a free against Bruce, not Macrae.

Crozier dropped his shoulder in to Sexton back

You have nothing to ridicule Bailey Dale about so now you turn your attention to criticising Lewis Young in his second game of footy for the year. He wasn’t too good yesterday. But maybe if you had watched the form of Cordy this year you’d realise he might be the best we have currently. So how about instead of calling him “shocking” (which he clearly wasn’t) just to try and vindicate yourself on him after he had a ripping game last week. You give him a couple more weeks to prove himself. Young won some one on ones yesterday. I think he can easily slot in our best 22 with some confidence.

I haven’t come in here until today to share my views of the game, but I’m shocked quite a few people bagged out Young’s performance. Sure, it wasn’t as good as last week but I’d hardly call him poor for a number of reasons.

* he was playing a defence/support ruck role
* he only spent a few minutes off the ground for an entire game
* we dominated the game and the ball didn’t venture down the other end of the field all that often where he was
* when the ball did come down, it was generally in a transition where we are regularly in trouble and players out of position due to said domination where we have committed players forward
* his disposal when he did get the ball was actually not too bad
* 2nd game for the year and coming into a different defensive system at AFL level

There was also a passage of play I think in the last quarter on the wing in front of where I was sitting, I believe it was Keath in a 2 on 1 and Young left his opponent to come over the top and made a huge spoil that killed the ball and allowed us to reset.

Keath and Duryea were both immense and probably both didn’t lose a 1v1, but too call him poor and shocking at absolutely everything, or worst player on the ground is an incredibly stupid view (of which I’m not surprised).

Everyone knows Young has been a long-term project due to age & size, but he’s come in and has been playing his role.

For what it’s worth, if anyone asked me who I thought was the “worst” defender last night, I’d say Crozier. But I’m not going to bag him out like some others would to other players, as I know he’s just come back from injury and appeared to be holding back a bit from his usual game because of it. He still did what he needed to but also grew into the game as it went on, the confidence will return and no doubt he’ll be back to his best very soon.

Aside from that:

*Duryea’s first quarter was absolutely brilliant and was good throughout
*Naughton’s efforts are fantastic even when the marks don’t stick, defenders must hate this KPF chasing them down
*Sweet looks to be a good tap ruckman, but want up against much so it was expected. His actual rucking was smart and out some taps straight down someone’s throat, but still some work to do. You’ve had a taste now young man, now show us what you can do in the VFL and get more chances at other times this season
*our engine room is unreal and the reason why we are such a threat, everyone compliments each other and still brings something unique to the group. All/most hitting the scoreboard regularly is a massive plus

Lastly for Scott & McNeil who have been carried a fair bit, watching them live I thought they actually both played pretty well. McNeil has been spoken about a bit already with his blocking and pressure being good, also kicked a smart goal. Scott also kicked one and could have had two, but also did a lot of off the ball and unrewarded work.

I still feel they both have something to work with (McNeil with a higher ceiling), but feel they aren’t best 22 for others that are on the list that could also deserve a run like they have had. Transitioned out before the Richmond game would be ideal, but that said bringing in someone new and possibly interrupting the current mix could be a problem.

If we do best GWS next week and/or are still top of the ladder, just watch Dimma try and out the pressure on us by calling us the favourites and maybe even flag favourites in the media lead-up. He loves transferring pressure away from his own side

Our midfield dominance reminds me of the Lions in the early 2000’s but they do make our backline appear better than they are. Am a little worried come finals time. Young was average today after a blinder last week. Need to give him 6 weeks to build up his confidence and feel settled in. Has far more upside than both Gardner and Cordy.

Thought it was Scott’s best game but he Still offers nothing that guarantees him a game in front of others. we need to rotate others through Scott’s aNd McNeil positions to see who deserves it.

I am a Lipi fan, i sat on the wing on level 3 today to have a close look at running patterns, efforts etc. Lipi often runs hard Into the right positions but is ignored. His disposal is elite. He Directly set up 3 goals today, should have been 4 but Naughts in the post with one. Tap to Treloar was perfect, handball to Hunter was good, he broke a tackle and picked the perfect option and his perfectly waited kick to Naughton. His defensive pressure was good also. He is not overly quick but his chase on Weller was good as he is very quick. He should always be in the team before Scott, McNeil and VDM

I actually rated Scotts game. Was involved in a fair few scoring chains with some quick decision making. Applied pressure when it was his turn. Definitely gets a pass for next week.

The umpire down the field paid a free against Bruce, not Macrae.

Crozier dropped his shoulder in to Sexton back
I couldn’t see that on the big screen but wi
Still crazy to me how Treloar fell into our lap. Not only does he provide that burst out of the middle and the ability to get those running goals, but he's also a dangerous snap on goal from anywhere in the 50. Bont can do that occasionally, but essentially we haven't had anyone since Stringer able to consistently nail these kinds of goals. And is just a beautiful kick in general. Been absolutely instrumental to this start and will no doubt continue to be going forward. Thanks Sam Power, and thanks to whoever f’ed up Collingwood's salary spreadsheet.
if only Ned Guy knew about the whole manual or automatic recalculation function in excel it could have been a different story

That was Jackson Macrae's 17th consecutive 30+ disposal game. Broke Tom Mitchell's record of 14 against the Kangas... a lot of records broken that night.
I liked Adam Rama on RSN this week when they were discussing the Dogs he said ” there is this playet called Jack Macrae You might not have heard of him but he goes alright“!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think of these ratings generally and in particular comparing this one to how we have rated players on here? eg Naughton and Crozier had poor ratings

View attachment 1105300
i have a look at them every week for every game. Theyre a bit crude and they punish inefficiency, but they generally give an indication of impact on the game, and they seem to correlate well with my perceptions after watching the game.

Crozier was marginally late with a softish bump. It was technically there I guess.
Geelong would get away with that same thing 20 times a match.

If we do best GWS next week and/or are still top of the ladder, just watch Dimma try and out the pressure on us by calling us the favourites and maybe even flag favourites in the media lead-up. He loves transferring pressure away from his own side
Just as sure as the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

Thought Brucey was below average yesterday. Was really just a beneficiary of Collins having a brain lapse at the play on advantage call and the ball just fell into his lap to get his usual 2 goals.

Dropped a couple as well. Ideally you want him getting 4 goals with that type of midfield dominance.

He's got plenty of credits in the bank from his good start this year but he needs to be 10-15% better. Particularly with our new found KPF depth.

Naughty is sooo close to kicking that bag again. 2 posters, a mark that should have been paid and he should have stolen Treloar's goal :D. Really could have had 5 and 3-4 last week. Deserves more big hauls.

You have nothing to ridicule Bailey Dale about so now you turn your attention to criticising Lewis Young in his second game of footy for the year. He wasn’t too good yesterday. But maybe if you had watched the form of Cordy this year you’d realise he might be the best we have currently. So how about instead of calling him “shocking” (which he clearly wasn’t) just to try and vindicate yourself on him after he had a ripping game last week. You give him a couple more weeks to prove himself. Young won some one on ones yesterday. I think he can easily slot in our best 22 with some confidence.

Young played a good game last week and a poor game yesterday. He was manning Macpherson at one point because Bev just needed to hide him. That’s why he hasn’t been getting consistent games. Because when he has a bad day he gets his pants pulled down.

Young may or may not make it but not sure how you can argue he didn’t have a bad game yesterday.

Lipinski's done enough for me that he stays in the team ahead of Vandermeer, who has been relatively poor since he had that good Round 1 game. Couple of really nice string overhead marks and didn't seem to get lost positionally on defensive transition which is his issue.

I'd still have Vandermeer ahead of West, Cavarra - is he ahead of Scott and McNeil?

Was young really that bad yesterday? Admittedly I watched from home so don’t get the full picture but I thought he was serviceable, certainly not good, but this board is making out like he was horrendous.. was he really??
His man got off him. Some of his offensive work was quite good. There’s obviously going to be a reason he hasn’t had much of a run in the seniors and I suspect it’s a lack of defensive discipline.

I didn’t see him as being particularly bad but compared to Keath and Gardner he seems a little loose.

He got one tackle in that short time on the ground, that's one more than one of our most experienced backmen, JJ, but I'm guessing that Caverra isn't scared of getting within 5 metres of an opposition player
Mate did JJ * ya missus, literally the only thing you say every week give it a *ing miss no one cares.

He literally ****ed my ex and I don’t have as big a problem with him as you do 😂

I get the criticism of Young, the gap between his best and worst is too big. However, I think he would benefit from an extended run in the team with Gardner injured. With Williams also injured I don't see us only going with only one KPD and making it work.

In any case, we are 5-0 so whatever we are doing defensively is working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back