doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
We've been doing that for a few years. I think it's to stop the opposition knowing which direction everyone is going to lead.
I guess one of those things you forget when you only watch on TV for a full season👍🏻

I wonder if designed for the deliberate lead or creating big pockets of space for the quick kick out of a centre clearance.

1617428210974.png

I had not realised until I saw a comment on YouTube that even if all of our 25 goals would have been points instead, that we still would have won 42-39. ;) Mahhhhhvellous.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It looks like we'll end the round in top spot, ahead of the undefeated Swans.

This better not be '98 all over again :(
If you're looking for an omen, the last time we finished a round on top of the ladder ahead of the undefeated Swans was a little more recent than 1998 :)

1617494388278.png

Jdoggy

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey guys, so another win has compelled me to post, and what a contrast of thrills this week putting a team to the sword verses last week finding a way to claw back and win. Taken a couple days to settle on it and what a great start to the season we've had and hope it keeps going on.

2 things again this week.

1. Bailey Williams
Similarly, I’ve seen too much of Williams and rate his ability and sidestep too highly to be knocking him on this game. To be asked to share Key Defence post between Easton and Zaine was a tall order seeing Heeney get the better of him very quickly. But to both he and teams credit, it was stemmed long enough and hopefully he isn’t asked to play that role too much more but will need to find his damaging form quickly.

Since he debuted in our Premiership year I was a big fan of this guy, tried looking for any previous post I made talking about him but all I found was one of my old long reviews, this time from our Thor Jersey game Round 1 2019 against Sydney. I quite proudly say I never doubted this guy could make it while quietly watching many critics think he wasn't up to it but last year til now he has shown vindication and what a good run and being played in position can do for such a player. I believe the difference now, is that he now has complete awareness of the speed of the level that is AFL and now uses all his ridiculous talent to execute the right option for any given situation. The best thing that comes from it is that he's always shown signs of having one of the most serious candy sell actions but what makes him one of the most deadly at it is the control he has over the ball that not many in the competition have; which is that the ball grip and technique he has in possession allows him still be able to dispose of the ball if selling the fake doesn't come off (which isn't a regular occurrence anyway). Not slouching in the defensive department either and launching serious attacks, hope he can be recognized in the AA conversation.

2. The midfield delivering from the preseason anticipation.

1617549593510.png

I loved this Reservoir Dogs imitation graphic that came up on FoxFooty when they looked at Treloar's contribution to the game. And when it popped up, the one thing that struck me the most wasn't the personnel we all already knew or that it was potentially going to be tooted as one of the best midfields ever assembled factoring in depth potential; but was the age demographic I slowly realized which I don't know if other "Great Midfield Groups" have ever matched.
I don't know if it has been mentioned by others in other threads, I imagine it highly likely has been; but it is unbelievable that this midfield spread of 6 are essentially all in a near-perfect spread of 1-year Age/Draft splits where we are not compromised with a stack of 30 y/o+ veterans who could fall off the cliff at any moment or too young (albeit talented) like we were previous years and its facts like that which make it all the more amazing which not many of the media have realised or emphasized.
Libba: Age - 28 (29), Draft - 2010
Treloar: 28, Underage GWS 2010 recruit (Virtually 2011 Draft)
Macrae: 26 (27), 2012
Bont: 25 (26), 2013
Dunkley: 24, 2015
Smith: 20 (21), 2018

Then add to that filling in other years other capables:
McLean: 25, 2014
Lipinski: 22 (23), 2016
Then add in Hunter 26 (27), Jong 27 (28) who is still playing well from VFL Reports and Big Timmy 23 (24) who is now getting immense support from Martin and you realise our midfield may just have one of the best ever age demographic spreads and not just considered the best because of the names running through there, which is frightening when Smith is the youngest of the lot performing as well as he has not missing any playable game.

It makes me pretty excited for whats to come and for me pretty much makes the patience of the years since 2016 worth while to see it evolve to what it has become and with our serious arsenal of back flank/wing support we have built, it is a real scary prospect and still waiting for my favourite Crozier to come back.

Still weary anything can happen in this competition that is AFL but boy that graphic stirred up some thought-provoking over the weekend, hope we can convincingly take out Brisbane and we are in real business if we weren't already.

Last edited:
I was away in the high country for an extra long weekend and didn't get a chance to watch nor listen to the the game live. National parks in mountains seem to make for lousy communications it would seem. However after watching the game last night. Ive gotta say something got lost in between as that was the dullest, most boring, witches hat avoiding, training run imaginable. Im sure it was somewhat exciting live, but for me if its possible I found the entire viewing experience of watching the dogs put a young inexperienced norf to the sword by 128 points to be pretty meh.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
I was away in the high country for an extra long weekend and didn't get a chance to watch nor listen to the the game live. National parks in mountains seem to make for lousy communications it would seem. However after watching the game last night. Ive gotta say something got lost in between as that was the dullest, most boring, witches hat avoiding, training run imaginable. Im sure it was somewhat exciting live, but for me if its possible I found the entire viewing experience of watching the dogs put a young inexperienced norf to the sword by 128 points to be pretty meh.
It would be meh if we had a recent history of putting young inexperienced teams to the sword. But we don't, so I'll take our first 10 goal kicker in 30+ years and our biggest ever winning margin against North with a bit more excitement than you did. If we get 13 more 120+ wins on the trot then, sure it might get old. Probably not though.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The atmosphere wasn’t great at all until Bruce got close to kicking 10.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Aight who had “winning by too much” on the what to complain about next bingo sheet?

That’s an absolute doozy

Best day I’ve had at the footy since 2016, was probably the 8 beers I had before game started and sitting around miserable north Melbourne muppets that did it for me but * me how can you not finding humiliating those wastes of sperm absolutely thrilling

Back