News Dogs 2023 Indigenous guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

346493285_258847366617002_8377309915267214039_n.jpg
The Western Bulldogs have today revealed their 2023 Indigenous guernsey, designed by proud Gunditjmara and Yorta Yorta man Jason Walker.

For the first time in Club history, all four teams (AFL, AFLW, VFL and VFLW) will wear the design in respective rounds.

The design represents Mirring (country) on Gunditjmara, where the Bulldogs are affiliated with in south-west Victoria, and is inspired by the Lake Condah Possum Skin Cloak.

The etching designs on the cloak represent the Bulldogs’ staff, players and supporters connection to country and journey throughout life.

The front of the guernsey features an eel (kooyang) intertwined throughout the red, white and blue hoops, which represents many things for Gunditjmara people, including resilience, and is an important resource for food and trade.

The kooyang’s inclusion in the design also acknowledges the West-Vic Eels Aboriginal Football Club, where many Aboriginal and Gunditjmara families – including Jamarra Ugle-Hagan – have played in state-wide Aboriginal Football Carnivals

The AFL team will be the first to wear the new design in next week’s Sir Doug Nicholls Round 10 match against Adelaide, and again the following week in round 11 against Gold Coast.

They will also wear the guernsey against Collingwood in round 17 during NAIDOC Week.

The VFL Bulldogs will wear it in their round 10 clash against Gold Coast and in round 16 against Collingwood for NAIDOC Week, while the VFLW side will wear it against Darebin in round 9 and Collingwood in round 10.

The AFLW team will wear it later this year in their respective Indigenous round, once the fixture for season eight is confirmed.

The 2023 Indigenous guernsey will be available for sale at the Bulldogs Shop, along with a range of exclusive merchandise including hoodies, t-shirts, wool scarves and badges.

Bulldogs and their mobs

AFL

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan: Gunditjmara, Balardong Noongar and Whadjuk Noongar
Liam Jones: Kija
Arthur Jones: Yamatji and Menang Noongar

AFLW

Naomi Ferres: Arrernte

VFL

Cooper Craig-Peters: Yorta Yorta, Wadi Wadi, Ngurai Illum Wurrung, Dja Dja Wurrung, Yara Yara
Joel Garner: Mara
Josh Chatfield: Gunditjmara
Nathan Drummond: Yorta Yorta
Jarrod Gilbee: Bungandidj

VFLW

Melanie Freeman: Wiradjuri
Imahra Cameron: Noongar from Ballargong and Whadjuk
Pamela Amber: Torres Strait Islander - Panaygal and Samu
Tahlia Meier: Wamba Wamba

As a Gunditjmara lad,

I'm so proud of the club today and the work they have done to bridge the gap
It's taken a while, longer than we would have liked, but it's now something we can all be proud of.

Design looks great and the Dogs are doing a lot better than they were in the past in this aspect, great to see.

First year we have the best Indigenous guernsey in the league IMO. It was always good but not great, but this year I think we have them all beat.

Need to buy this one.

Can anyone confirm if the sizing/fit of guernsey’s haven’t changed from the last couple of years? I think the last one I bought was in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back