Autopsy Dogs 60 defeated by Swans 79 - Rd 17

Remove this Banner Ad

We could've tried chipping it around, we seem to have an obsession with getting it into the corridor and then just bombing it inside 50. When it works for us it works really well but today by HT it was clear that that was not going to work. The Swans took almost 40 marks in D50 which is almost double the competition average.

Primarily I was just disappointed that we didn't try and change it up and it felt very similar to the end of last weeks match.

Yeah we’re useless at slowing the game down and chipping it around to gain some breathing space.

I don’t agree that the opposition chipping it around the wings hasn’t been tried before. I’ve seen the lesser teams move the ball from side to side in an attempt to score, only to be defeated by our structure and press.

Sydney just found too many spaces, won the one-on-ones and were first to the loose ball. They’re a decent team.

Yeah we’re useless at slowing the game down and chipping it around to gain some breathing space.

I don’t agree that the opposition chipping it around the wings hasn’t been tried before. I’ve seen the lesser teams move the ball from side to side in an attempt to score, only to be defeated by our structure and press.

Sydney just found too many spaces, won the one-on-ones and were first to the loose ball. They’re a decent team.
Sydney won the one on ones all right. It’s been ages since I have seen our hbfs and hffs beaten in contests so regularly and completely. Hats off to the Swans.

The one thing I’m concerned about is how we are at ground level… 3 of our defenders go up in the air, leaving us vulnerable at ground level. I hate it. As soon as I see it I just know their going to get a chance at goal.
Weightman, Scott and Hannan all feel the need to fly to take marks against Bruce. No crumbers. I know Cody has good hands but we need him crumbing too.

It doesn't help when Duryea kicks it straight to the boot of the opposition and goes through for a goal.

We had a chance late with 9 minutes into the last to get it back to single digits but of course JJs horrendous accuracy put a stop to that. If he kicked it that would've been 2 goals in 2 minutes and likely swung the momentum our way.

They won’t be playing a team will th four first and second year players and two 22 year old ruckman. We played a very inexperienced team this week.
Our forward line had Weightman, Garcia, Scott, Young and Jamarra and the two most experienced players (Bruce and Wallis) had shockers.

The narrative will be that these plucky young swans are on the rise and beat the second team on the ladder but honestly we played a patch work of a team and had a mare and still easily could’ve won.

Anyone who thought our team today would be some kind of flag fav doesn’t know footy. Bevo is good enough to surprise us a lot but he can’t work miracles.

All we need is to get some boys back and secure the double chance.

we’ve had a crap run with injuries but that’s what it’ll take to stop us this year.

No one can win the footy against our best midfield. No one can defend the air against English, Naughton and Bruce. With those challenges no one will expose our lack of KPD foot speed.

right now we’re just humouring the league and hoping to keep our remaining guns healthy

Tidal waves won’t beg for forgiveness

Losing to Melbourne and Port? Hmmm. Interesting.

As a pessimistic the only game I'm confident in winning is next week against the Suns. We should beat the Crows and Hawks but I am concerned about Melbourne, Essendon and Port Adelaide.

Getting Dunkley, Naughton and hopefully Treloar back in the last few weeks should be enough to keep us in the 4.

It doesn't help when Duryea kicks it straight to the boot of the opposition and goes through for a goal.

We had a chance late with 9 minutes into the last to get it back to single digits but of course JJs horrendous accuracy put a stop to that. If he kicked it that would've been 2 goals in 2 minutes and likely swung the momentum our way.

Not missing easy set shots would have been handy as well. Good teams don’t do that.

As a pessimistic the only game I'm confident in winning is next week against the Suns. We should beat the Crows and Hawks but I am concerned about Melbourne, Essendon and Port Adelaide.

Getting Dunkley, Naughton and hopefully Treloar back in the last few weeks should be enough to keep us in the 4.

Very pessimistic.

We cannot, repeat cannot be losing to Essendon and Port.

Wouldn’t mind Wood and Crozier back to help the defence in the air as well.

Van der meer and even Jong I like as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again Bevo proves he can't change a game when our gameplan doesn't work don't get me wrong his the best coach we have ever had but in our losses this year teams have shut down our gameplan and Bevo has shown he doesn't know how to combat this. We end up just bombing it forward, playing on instinct and hoping for the best and trying to tire out teams so we can eventually get our gameplan back on.
Occasionally this works against lesser sides but against top 8 teams we end up losing as we haven't been able to switch things up against them and change the game to try and get it back on our terms.
It's like Bevo thinks he doesn't have to come up with a second gameplan because plan a will eventually work or perhaps he doesn't know how to.

Got to play Sweet next week need a big body in the ruck that can ruck when English is tired or goes forward, JUH dropped sadly not ready yet needs to bulk up massively Naughty straight back in or Schache if not Naughts not ready
I think you may learn someth8ng by watching the presso.

Our forward 50 entries were terrible today. No forwards could function with such poor delivery. The difference between that last inside kick into the F50 between the two sides today was huge.

Cordy was terrible, one of the worst one on one defenders in the league, is ALWAYS 5 metres off his opponent. Never learns. Hopefully he’s replaced next year
I just wish we had someone to replace him …. but we don’t at the moment.
He will contin7e to haunt us with his inability at this level in defence.

This was a bad result, Sydney are a decent side but shouldn’t be dominating at us at home. Hopefully we mark it down as a down on form loss as we start to reintegrate best 22 players leading up to finals.

1st quarter will tell the story next week, either switched on from the start or another arm wrestle.

I just wish we had someone to replace him …. but we don’t at the moment.
He will contin7e to haunt us with his inability at this level in defence.
I said this earlier, he just does not have one above average skill. The endeavour is there but he is not best 22.

Did Marra’s stats match Buddy’s from his first game?

This game shows how important Naughton is in our forward line missed him badly
Got pretty well beaten all over the ground but yes would have helped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back