Autopsy Dogs 60 defeated by Swans 79 - Rd 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Have waited till I cooled down.

Summary is they played to win - had a plan for us. And we played not to lose. The energy difference was immense and very similar to the miraculous comeback game in the VFL where we played like that until the last 15mins. Sydney were up for us.

We were off and they were on and that is all it takes. Both teams playing their best and we would win - nothing to panic about and all the credit should go to them their effort to play their system was like we played against West Coast and Port.

Bont was down but also Macrae and Libba were well off. Macrae looked like he was tagged by Callum Mills who did a fantastic job on him.

I am going to annoy some people here but I don’t think the ruck was as big an issue nor our defence - we won clearances (I think?) and Hickey was a bit of a non issue and we had good inside 50s and a pretty small score particularly if we take out junk goals.

Our top players were well held other than Smith - who was pretty good and Hunter who had a go. At least 30 possessions we would normally put in the bank between Macrae, Libba, Daniel. They ply season average games abs we win.

Our forward line was way too slow for the back line - JJ, Hannan, Wallis , JUH, Bruce and English/Young were run around with ease.

With Scott we should have enough speed but when we tried to get back to lock it in - they were already gone. We were very slow.

Jamarra was OK for a first gamer - but would have preferred him as a third tall to Naughty and Bruce. We can easily forget how good Naughty is with spreading the defence, tackling and breakout targets - he launches in a way that even if he doesn’t mark the ball is controlled the way he is going and the smalls don’t try and mark but go for the ground ball. JUH is not that person yet - but neither is Schache or Young and the hope of Hannan is a faded dream at this stage.

When we tried to kick out of defence without Naughty and weak play from Bont and Bruce we didn’t have any targets. Bruce was poor and even though he got crap he didn’t attack the contest today like he normally does, dropped some sitters, even when in the perfect position, missed some easy ones. An on the ball Bruce would have kicked 4 easily. Scott kicked a goal but could have had many more kicks and Wallis did not have the game he promised in the press.

Our kicking efficiency even when not under pressure was running at only 59% with theirs I think over 70 - what is enough to lose - and when these howlers come from Daniel, Williams, Duryea and Dale our system falls apart - but you could see why - yes Sydney put on pressure but we hesitated when no-one up the ground provided a target - they clogged the middle and we bombed down the side because no person took big sweeping runs.

In marks there was no blocking or positioning just everyone going for a hollywood hangar.

Young was certainly not the worst - he still lacks the confidence to take responsibility for a mark - how many times did he get there and then hesitate and then just fling a hand up - at 200cm and 100kgs - just go for the ball f everything else. Neither was English - I don’t feel like he was smashed but he certainly didn’t play his best - especially some big misses.

When we were playing English and Bruce we seemed to get beaten up in the ruck - we are not evening things out but do add a bit around the ground. When Martin is in Young goes out but did now it is him or we go with Schache or Khamis are better around the ground but back to being beaten up.

Keath, Cordy and Duryea (other than a few brainfades) were pretty good. Williams, Red and Dale had very little impact - disappointingly because this should be a strength. Thought we might try JJ back for a bit of run - has had some crackers against Sydney but the problem was he was having a stinkier. Red had a bit of a stinker - a few good things early and a goal but could get any of the run we want from him - looked slow today as did many others. JJ played worse so Red may be safe but Khamis was outstanding in the VFL and so neither can’t have too many bad games.

Smith played well - he is so much better in a scap when he doesn’t try looping crap and just uses his power. Well done Baz.

García attacks with ferocity I love but takes out us as much as them. Weightman also flies for everything but at this stage of their game that’s ok - it’s the more senior players that have to have a closer look at themselves.

Hunter just tried and tries and wasn’t his best but wasn’t the worst.

Was surprised we didn’t move to a play on down the middle at all costs type game - this chipping is Sydney’s game - we can get hurt but we also could play in movement and space not in congestion. To do this we would need to run through the middle but seemed happy to set up defensively.

The VFL was a pretty frustrating game - I am not sure who comes in that was knocking the door down - Khamis was excellent and stood up at the end in a very long time and hard game - quarters were close to 35 mins and right at the end he still loft when others were out on their feet.

McLean wasn’t great, Crozier was OK.McNeil was quiet. Cavarro tried but…just but.

Schache was OK certainly not great. I would have played him ahead of JUH because of his great fitness - I think this would have hurt Sydney more than a lead up mark that we bomb into. I would bring him into the side for the next game but another slow player is probably not what we want.

Lippy was poor for the first half but lifted significantly. West was good in patches.

I reckon both offer more than Hannan - Lippy in attack on the outside and West in close.

Sweet was beaten by Sinclair in the hit outs (kick a few goals but that was not what we were saying we missed today).

Butler had a good go of it. And wouldn’t be surprised if this was not rewarded.

I expect we see Naughty come straight back in for JUH - he has a feel now and will know what he needs to bring next time - hopefully in a few weeks as the third tall.

Dunkley and Martin maybe plays half in the VFL so may be too early for them. Jeez I miss VDM as that lightening fast half forward. I would probably either bring in Khamis for Hannan and perhaps West for Scott or Wallis (who I love but just couldn’t get near it).

McNeil was the unused medi-sub. He didn’t play in the VFL did he? No wonder he was quiet 😁

We didn't play well, some of that was down to the Swans pressure, but we made uncharacteristic disposal errors and yet only lost by 19 points to a very good Swans side, No need to panic, put Naughton, Dunkley, Treloar & Wood back in that team & I reckon the result would have been different.
Guys like JUH & Garcia are going to be good but need more time at this stage. Hannan needs to go back to the VFL asap & much as I love Mitch Wallis as a player (no relation) his lack of pace hurts us.

Hunter spent the first half of the season playing HFF. Its a difficult position to play yet I thought he was doing it really well (I'm not his biggest fan). He was covering a lot of ground and is one of the few who at least attempts to lower the eyes and hit a target. Also his dinky kicks can come off up forward rather then in the centre of the ground where a turnover could be costly. He is also a clever footballer and adapted to the role well. Lately he has gone back to the wing and I think he has been missed from the high HF role.

I do like what Hunter brings and am not calling for him to be dropped BUT.... can someone please explain to him the stupidity of handballing to a teammate who has an opponent 2.01 miiimetres from him. Does my head in.
He does this all the time and most dogs fans cover there eyes too it. Has quite a bit of stupid usage with the ball at the times.

A disappointing performance but not necessarily surprisingly so, and definitely no reason for panic.

We played fairly poorly last week against North but still got a win so it was easy to forget because we were obviously off the boil and playing a bottom side.

Today we got a wake up call from a good side who came with a plan and like our other defeats this year, we got exposed when our key players are covered or just down on form because our lesser players struggle to step up when required.

Marra had a 'mare'. Initially he just looked a bit nervous and was perhaps a little unlucky not to get a cheap goal which might have gotten his confidence up, but after half time he looked like someone who wanted to be anywhere else but out on that field. He really struggled with the pace of the game and the size and strength of his opponents. If he gets another game this season it should not be at the expense of a tall, I think he should be used as a forward/pocket flanker type only and hopefully matched up on someone where he has a clear size advantage. Selecting him to replace Naughton was arguably the point where we lost the game.

I think Schache and/or Sweet should have been selected to replace Naughton and if they wanted to debut Marra he should have come in to replace Hannan or Garcia.

Our small and medium forwards continue to under deliver. Without Naughton, and with English having to play ruck we lacked a marking presence near goal.

I thought English was a shinning light on a dim day but we needed two of him.

Noting that we didn't lose by a lot despite playing poorly, and that the tweaks required to improve have been made so obvious that even the most stubborn coaching panel will struggle to ignore them, suggests we are still in reasonable shape.

Last edited:
Too much of "we were only beaten by 19 points" in this review. The margin flattered us due to Sydney's misses on goal. I don't care about the margin at the end because the most important indicator was that we were beaten all over the field by a well-coached and well-disciplined team. Even if it was a 1 point loss that does not gloss over the fact that we need to be much better to be a realistic premiership contender. Hopefully, that improvement could come with a few key inclusions but games like yesterday's sew doubt that we are vulnerable to teams that manage to exert maximum pressure on our game plan.

Too much of "we were only beaten by 19 points" in this review. The margin flattered us due to Sydney's misses on goal. I don't care about the margin at the end because the most important indicator was that we were beaten all over the field by a well-coached and well-disciplined team. Even if it was a 1 point loss that does not gloss over the fact that we need to be much better to be a realistic premiership contender. Hopefully, that improvement could come with a few key inclusions but games like yesterday's sew doubt that we are vulnerable to teams that manage to exert maximum pressure on our game plan.

We also missed some easy shots.

I think the reason myself and others have pointed to the smallish margin as a positive is that it shows that despite some of our obvious failings, e.g. a badly malfunctioning forward line, it wasn't all bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearances +20
Centre clearances +12
Inside 50s +5
Sydney's inside 50 efficiency: 55.3%
Our inside 50 efficiency: 48.1%

Hardly beaten all over the field. Did really well winning it on the inside but ball use let us down. Sydney kicked straighter than as well.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes.

I like the confidence some posters have in our team, but the way Melbourne were/are dismissed as not up to our level when the evidence indicates the opposite when playing the better teams has been bemusing to me. Sydney beat us comfortably yesterday despite us winning more contested ball and clearances, Melbourne beat us comfortably earlier in the season by shutting down our attack and I'm sure the club internally knows that rather than us just hoping that we get some players back and that will turn the tables.

We are obviously a good team - the way we've dismantled poorer teams and beaten a few good teams away from home indicates this - but there are deficiencies in our personnel and approach that we have 6-7 weeks to fix up.

So this post isn't all negative - the flip side is that it looks like we're one of the best (if not the best) contested ball and clearance sides in the comp, even with issues in the ruck. This will become more important as the pressure ratchets up in September so as long as we maintain that we'll be in with a chance.

Did Marra’s stats match Buddy’s from his first game?

I mentioned this to the loudmouths sitting behind us. Of course nothing existed before Buddy joined Sydney.

Just on the topic of opposition supporters, is everyone on the same page as me in wanting our reserved seats and member's sections back asap so we don't have to put up with them sitting with us ?
On Lev 1 wing and they're sitting in the rows in front and behind us. It was tiresome, free kick Bulldogs, 2016, jeering Marra, Bont's sh1t, Bailey Smith is a w***er, Bruce is crap, blah blah blah. They're the worst supporters I've sat with this year. Then again we've won every other game I've been to except Richmond.

It's entirely fair to point out that this game had problems. But it's also entirely fair to say that the game was lost from our forward line (given the midfield clearance win, and the fact that the defence did well to keep them to a low enough score).

But at the same time it's fair to recognise the players that played poorly are the ones that are going to be dropped when we have a fully fit team, and it all aligns properly.

If anything, whilst the loss shows some weaknesses, it also makes me more confident that a non-injury hit team is a premiership contender, because the very fact that our weaker players on paper lost us the game across half forward proves that our better fully fit team is, shock horror, better. If our fringe players played well and our best players didn't, it would make me worry that our best players aren't up to being a premiership-level best players.

The thing is - us as Dogs fans should learn from the 2016 season as evidence of this!! Round 1-2 - play some incredible high-quality footy. Round 3 onwards constant rotation of injuries to the point that it's not until the elimination final that we have a less injury-hit team than we did from Round 4 onwards, yet still be good enough to win 15 games. And the upset wins through four finals are less "upset" if people properly account from players returning from injury properly, which I don't think anyone did, Dogs fans or general footy fans or anyone.

I've posted this before, but Melbourne's performances would be hell of a lot less impressive if they had anything near our injury list. They have nobody to return from injury this year. There's no injury-based upside to the Melbourne team that lost to GWS at home, whereas we have 7 players to the team that lost to Sydney at home, who are a better team. That's a big, big difference.

We were flat.

The signs were there against Norf, and this week we found out not only just how much we miss Naughton powerfully parting the seas of our forward line, manically launching himself at not only the Sherrin but also every single defender within his grasp, but also how much a tempo-based, high-pressure, short-kicking game plan can take our own pressing, zonal system apart if we're even only a little bit off our own game.

And we were.

Full of half-arsed efforts, poor pressure and sheparding, substandard tackling and disposal, while Sydney's was immense all day. But I'm granting the whole team a free pass this round, as we've had an incredibly challenging month or so, not to mention who we were missing from our best 22:

* Naughton
* Dunkley
* Treloar
* Martin
* Wood
* Gardner
* Crozier
* McLean
* Vandemeer

Yes - one or two of those are, for various reasons, debatable, but what isn't debatable is that they are some of our very best players, spread across all three zones and add up to over 40% of our best 22. We have done incredibly well to be where we are and I think that can easily get lost when the view post-game can quickly turn myopic and needlessly critical (while the trade & list management thread gets its inevitable working over). Every team, even the top ones, can have a down day or even a few weeks, and I for one am proud of everyone who's pulled on the RWB and what they've achieved so far this year.

Time to welcome some powerful weapons back into our arsenal, re-load and gun towards that flag we all know is very, very possible.

Last edited:
Yes, we were a huge chance to have knocked off the Swans (and Cats) with our best side, but unfortunately it's not a perfect world. We all want our full rotation of best 22-26 available, but it just doesn't work that way (unless you're Melbourne).

You know as soon as some come back that others will fall.

Hopefully we've had our share of injuries so far and it's all upwards from here on.

On the topic of outs (as of July 6)

Josh Dunkley Shoulder 1-2 weeks
Ryan Gardner Shoulder TBC
Stefan Martin AC joint 2-3 weeks
Aaron Naughton Concussion TBC
Lin Jong Hamstring 3 weeks
Adam Treloar Ankle 4-6 weeks
Laitham Vandermeer Knee 2-3 weeks
Easton Wood Ankle 2-3 weeks

53 pressure acts from Garcia is pretty mad
Pressure points, not pressure acts, the idea that corralling a player is not quite as valuable as other acts.

Garcia finds space when space isn't there, and moves well. 15 touches when Weightman had 5, Wallis and Hannan 8 each He's in the team ahead of Wallis and Hannan heading forward, surely.
Scott also only got 8 playing HF and wing. Hannan and Scott both rotated on the wing and half forward flank so only getting 8 possessions is just unacceptable in these circumstance. All 3 of Wally, Scott and Hannan should be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back