Review Dogs 71 def Cats 55 // Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty surprised Bont got BOG coaches votes. At the game Macrae was just monumental. Naughton, a match winner.

Bont did some good things but also had some uncharacteristic mistakes. Just some real grubby kicking, few handballs to people's feet, caught HTB several times. Was a very un-Bont like game to me.

yep - that's what I saw as well

Guarantee there is spit on that pizza. Rule of life - never accept free food after a complaint haha
But doesn't Domino's have that magic x-ray thing to tell if each pizza is perfect? Surely curry flavouring would set off the alarm bells!
24vimhw.jpg

Please don't.....
The problem is that if they stay uncorrected they seep into your subconscious. I have found at times (to my horror) that I've become so inured to these errors that I have absentmindedly typed "their" or "there" instead of "they're" ... or other similar homophonic or apostrophic slips.

Anyway I've managed to train myself to ignore the bad grammar and misspellings, so I try to make a nuisance of myself in other ways.

However I remain perplexed that BF's spell checker persists with American spelling. That's probably why so many people say we should play Naughton in defense when we all know he should be played in defence. (Chicago1 and Floridog are of course excused - in fact there their they're allowed to pretend he plays for Melbourne in the Dee-fense.)

Serious question though Mutt: why can't BF organize organise an Australian spell-checker?

even an English one would do.
BREAKING NEWS ...

My post above got me thinking that maybe it's a localised setting.

So I right-clicked the word "defence" (can be done with any word that has red underlining) and discovered that there is a dictionary setting and that this is in fact browser related. I'm using Firefox but I had the same problem before under Chrome.

I followed the options and ended up adding the Australian English dictionary to Firefox as an Add-On.

And it works! Now if I type in "defense" it gets the red underline treatment but defence is fine.

I'm guessing there would be similar add-ons/options for Chrome, IE, etc. Worth checking it out.

Wow! As a teacher for 32 years, I have been ignoring grammatical errors on forums for years, thinking it was bad etiquette to correct errors. We appear to have opened a can of worms this week. I’m going to be a very busy boy from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get busy, Mr McGlee, you've a power of work to do. In the old days, if you were a bloke, you had to wear a tie in the Outer at the Western Oval and the accepted response to bad language was "to whom are you speaking ? We haven't been introduced."

There are 2 types of teachers, Sharpiesdog

Thomas Curnow. The Chalkie who flagged down the train of police at Glenrowan in 1880, Vale Ned Kelly

Eamonn De Valera. The Maths teacher who led the rebellion against the British Empire for freedom in Dublin 1916.

A teacher's duty is to educate. Teachers are on duty 24/7

Mr Mitchell
English Teacher

Last edited:
Meanwhile, back on topic ...

There's a tactical issue that often gets raised in the game day threads (GDTs) but only occasionally analysed in any depth during the week. That's our kicking strategy in transition from defence to the f50.

Saturday night's GDT went nuclear in the first half when we kept turning over the ball with short passes at both ends of the ground. Then there was Trengove's clanger in the final minutes that resulted in Hawkins' late goal.

The usual knee-jerk response is something like "FFS, just kick it long!!" or "Stop fiddling around, just kick it deep into the 50 and hope Naughton can grab it!"

Sometimes (e.g. in Trengove's case) the long kick is the right choice. However it's not always that simple. From memory I think MD has made some pointed observations on this earlier in the year.

Just kicking it down the flanks to a contest is not going to work for us against decent sides. Most of them are well organised and better equipped than us to take CMs so we end up just playing into their hands. They often force a stoppage which is not the worst result for us, but they also often win a turnover or intercept mark and that's where we come undone.

Geelong in particular is renowned for its strong defensive marking (Taylor, Kolodjashni, etc) so just booting it long inside 50 is unlikely to be the answer. It seemed to me that our starting game plan on Saturday was to avoid doing that and instead to be more patient, waiting for a lead and looking for the short pass. In my mind the problem was the execution, not the tactic. Also Geelong's defence was experienced and astute enough to be able to anticipate what we were doing and intercept those passes.

That doesn't mean we should dispense with that plan forever. The first few times we try it out it's bound to have some wrinkles and will need more practice. We can get much better at it, especially with the right personnel.

A similar issue arises with our defensive clearances / rebounds. When we have a hurried high kick across the body without looking it will most likely end up with an opposition player because our forwards press up further than their defenders do. However if we can get it to a creative playmaker like Daniel or JJ we have a better chance of turning it into a constructive forward entry.

In the centre of the ground it's a bit more complex but again the "kick it long" strategy isn't always the best way. If we have it on the wing and kick long down the line to a HFF there's maybe a 50% chance we'll end up with the ball but they'll be well set up to defend the deep entry from there. However if we switch it sideways, or better still, play diagonally forward to the "fat" side it carries more risk (if intercepted) but also increases the chances of us scoring if it comes off because the opposition defence will have been drawn to the side of the ground the ball came from.

I wouldn't mind thoughts on this from those who get to the match most weeks, because you don't see the game unfolding quite so well if you've only got the TV coverage.

Last edited:
I
Schache made a few nice leads into spaces, we just didn't kick it to him those times or hesitated to long kicking inside when marked just outside the 50 allowing Geelong to cover with extra defenders. Played well, just sometimes you have those games where you don't have the goals to show for it. Thinking we will see Naughton and Schache alternating week in and week out as the tall with the bag of goals. If we ever have a game where both kick a big bag each, then damn it will be a sight to watch. Will take more time for them to work around and compliment each other.
"Mr Naughton sir, please accomodate yourself in the space I have vacated to mark and goal, your kicking action is exquisite. I should only sit back and admire it."
"Oh dear Mr Schache, surely it must be your turn to accumulate six points for the team. Most humbly I beseech you, outstretch your magnificent upper limbs and grab the ball while I discombobulate this lumbering ox of a defender into row X."
And the luck continues... I received an email from Domino's to rate the pizza and service. I didn't open it until this evening but decided to reply. My review was not very good. I think I grabbed their attention when I wrote that it was the first and last Domino's pizza I'll ever have. About ten minutes later I got a call from the manager. He thought I had ordered it tonight. After he aplogized he offered me a free pizza, whatever I want, for pick up. Hmmm... dare I? I hate making important decisions. :think:
Next to that Domino's pizza joint there is uighur (Chinese restaurant). The food is brilliant. Don't waste your hard eared $$$

TBH if we didn't win against Port I don't think we beat Geelong.

The Port game was an away win in the rain where we laid 109 tackles, season record. Port had beaten Geelong the week before.
It was the closest thing he have to the 2015 Swans SCG victory with the current group.
Axiom of transitivity never fails. Ha, ha,...

My first car was an Austin A55 and loved Valiants. I had a CL panelvan and a CM sedan
My first car was a Hillman hunter. Bought it for $500 and sold for $300
There are 2 types of teachers, Sharpiesdog

Thomas Curnow. The Chalkie who flagged down the train of police at Glenrowan in 1880, Vale Ned Kelly

Eamonn De Valera. The Maths teacher who led the rebellion against the British Empire for freedom in Dublin 1916.

A teacher's duty is to educate. Teachers are on duty 24/7

Mr Mitchell
English Teacher
An Irish an with an Italian name?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was two weeks younger he'd be the no 1 pick this year.

He is proper tough, stands up in contests and keep his feet. Absolute star.
We have a few like that. Bont and Naughton were born in late November. Their birthdays are only just before Bailey Smith's.

All three would have been in the mix for #1 pick the following year if they had been born just a few weeks later.
Others of note in recent years have been Lewis Young (b 1998) and Fergus Greene (1997) who were both born on 20 December.

It's not just a statistical oddity. I reckon it's been a deliberate strategy to lean towards bottom-age kids if they tick the other boxes and look like they have the right developmental trajectory.

Smart drafting.

Meanwhile, back on topic ...

There's a tactical issue that often gets raised in the game day threads (GDTs) but only occasionally analysed in any depth during the week. That's our kicking strategy in transition from defence to the f50.

Saturday night's GDT went nuclear in the first half when we kept turning over the ball with short passes at both ends of the ground. Then there was Trengove's clanger in the final minutes that resulted in Hawkins' late goal.

The usual knee-jerk response is something like "FFS, just kick it long!!" or "Stop fiddling around, just kick it deep into the 50 and hope Naughton can grab it!"

Sometimes (e.g. in Trengove's case) the long kick is the right choice. However it's not always that simple. From memory I think MD has made some pointed observations on this earlier in the year.

....I wouldn't mind thoughts on this from those who get to the match most weeks, because you don't see the game unfolding quite so well if you've only got the TV coverage.

What’s frustrating up on level 3 is that we play the slow, measured build up game, then over handball and roost it down the wing anyway, or straight into the chest of an opponent. You think to yourself ‘we as well have just kicked it long in the first place before they got set!’ Bev frequently drops pretty much everyone back to pressure, so there’s no forwards to kick to. But sometimes we have players especially Schache, running onto leads that get ignored due to ponderous over possession. And only the Bont, McLean or Suckling have the vision to kick to a long lead. Our other mids are sadly conservative, if they’ve got an opposition player in their front field of vision he acts like a 20 metre wall they can’t peer over.

It is a fine balance, no point kicking long and blind if it wastes possession. But when both teams are in the same half the odd chaos ball wouldn’t go amiss - a long bomb straight through the middle or a mongrel worm burner. We rarely bomb down the middle, most teams do it once or twice a game and it can be surprisingly effective. Keeps defenders honest too. Let them turn and chase backwards once in a while.

My first car was a Hillman hunter. Bought it for $500 and sold for $300

An Irish an with an Italian name?

Basque-Spanish. Dev was born in New York of a Spanish artist (or so they say) father and Irish mother. Brigid Coll, brought up in County Limerick by the Coll Family. That he was an American citizen saved him from death by firing squad. He's a massive figure in Irish history, politics (Fianna Fail) and culture.

Last edited:
What can I tell ya. People make bad choices but it doesnt mean you're a bad person....necessarily.
I had to Google to find out what a Lada was. I have to admit the idea of a car that the owner can work on is intriguing and the Vesta is not a bad looking car. However, I don't think I can get one here in the US so I won't even get the chance to make that bad choice. :'(:):):)

A fine vehicle, very underrated. In my time I have also owned and driven the magnificent Chrysler Charger and the world renowned Austin 1800 (with the brilliant "east-west" engine that mechanics raved over).
My first car was a 1957 Morris Minor paid £27. Next car was a 1952 Austin A40 Somerset paid £15. When I emigrated to Australia I paid $1200 for a 1948 Austin A40 Devon, there's inflation for you. My favourite ever car was my 1973 Citroen Ami 8 wagon with a huge 600cc boxer engine. Most unusual, a 1957 Messerschmitt Kabin Roller 200cc. Now back to the footy.

I had to Google to find out what a Lada was. I have to admit the idea of a car that the owner can work on is intriguing and the Vesta is not a bad looking car. However, I don't think I can get one here in the US so I won't even get the chance to make that bad choice. :'(:):):)
LOL, I also owned 2 Ladas. One good the other crap. Basically a Fiat 124 with a Russian re-tooled overhead cam engine. In the 80's in England, the Lada and Polski Fiat (125) were the poor mans car. Traded my Citroen for the first Lada (a 1200 wagon with a vinyl roof!).

Basque-Spanish. Dev was born in New York of a Spanish artist (or so they say) father and Irish mother. Brigid Coll, brought up in County Limerick by the Coll Family. That he was an American citizen saved him from death by firing squad. He's a massive figure in Irish history, politics (Fianna Fail) and culture.

His long reign over Ireland in conjunction with his mates the priests and bishops sounds suffocatingly oppressive.No wonder half the population fecked off.

Is this the most off topic we've ever got in a review thread? Ladas and De Valera. Emmett Dunne.

"Bold Robert Emmett, the darling of Erin
Bold Robert Emmett, will die with a smile
Farewell companions both loyal and daring
I'll lay down my life for the Emerald Isle "

yep - that's what I saw as well
I gave Macrae and Naughton top votes
But what really struck me as odd was that when the game was tight and particularly in that last quarter - both Geelong champs (Dangerfield and Selwood) were more worried about the Bont around stoppages than getting the ball themselves. The Bont was an absolute beast around the ball-ups. To prove the point Geelong gave away 7 frees against the the Bont - I believe they were almost all in stoppage situations.

So perhaps, purely on execution Macrae and Naughton were better but in terms of influencing the outcome - if players like Danger and Selwood are focusing on stopping him that has to detract from their own performance and thereby justifies assessing the Bont as the most valuable player on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back