AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Seeing a lot of stuff here about Macrae, his consistency and likelihood he'll take out our BnF (it would be a daylight robbery if he doesn't) and I come back to a Scott Spits piece in The Age about each team's likely Brownlow votegetters, where, for the Dogs, he raves about Bontempelli, Dahlhaus and even gives Johannisen a mention, yet nothing on Macrae. I suppose there's a beauty in how he so massively flies under the radar that I can't seem to appreciate.

I'm a big Macrae fan, not one that complains about his helicopter kicks each week, and I agree has been our most consistent and I would love to see him win a BnF since it might be a long time before he does with guys like Bont, Stringer, Dahl, Libba etc. However, I could see Bontempelli winning our BnF again and it wouldn't be "daylight robbery", especially with 6 games left. Just because he hasn't been as good as last year, doesn't mean he hasn't been our best player this year. He is now leading the Ching on BF as well. 2 horse race imo. As far as the Brownlow goes, Macrae won't get close to Bontempelli. I have been making a count each year for close to a decade, I have Bonts on 16 and Macrae on 8.

Gollo

Club Legend
Jun 4, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Melb Stars
I'm a big Macrae fan, not one that complains about his helicopter kicks each week, and I agree has been our most consistent and I would love to see him win a BnF since it might be a long time before he does with guys like Bont, Stringer, Dahl, Libba etc. However, I could see Bontempelli winning our BnF again and it wouldn't be "daylight robbery", especially with 6 games left. Just because he hasn't been as good as last year, doesn't mean he hasn't been our best player this year. He is now leading the Ching on BF as well. 2 horse race imo. As far as the Brownlow goes, Macrae won't get close to Bontempelli. I have been making a count each year for close to a decade, I have Bonts on 16 and Macrae on 8.
Yeah, 'daylight robbery' might have been a bit much, but I think Macrae's consistency in a year where too many players have not fired simply means he, at this stage, deserves the medal. Agree re. Brownlow, especially considering Bontempelli, the far higher profile player, will steal umpires' votes off him.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Pros:
  • Works hard, can't question his effort and commitment
  • Agile around packs without being a real speedster
  • Disciplined enough to perform a role (such as keeping Kade Simpson quiet) and applies good defensive pressure up forward
  • Gets himself in position to score regularly and seems to draw a fair few free kicks
  • Has good numbers in goal assists
  • Is fit and healthy (which immediately puts him ahead of about a 10-12 on our list)
Cons:
  • Can fumble at crucial moments --> momentum killers
  • Has been very inaccurate in recent games (1.8) which wastes those precious goalscoring opportunities, sometimes at pivotal moments in a match
  • No particular skills or traits that could be described as outstanding
  • Another small body in an undersized squad (of those who are fit) - he's 176cm and 71kg
  • Not a big disposals accumulator at this stage
In summary, being small and lacking any elite skills, he has to survive on hard work, courage, concentration, quick thinking and doing the team things. So far - to his credit - he's managed to do that to the satisfaction of MC (if not the fans on BF) but for the foreseeable future he's always going to be in discussions when people are talking about team changes.

Maybe with these recent games under his belt his confidence might rise and he'll start to increase his possessions. That would help turn around the discussion of his prospects at the WB.
Great analysis. Reminds me of Pickens early in his career.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clay

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club (VFL)
I think Honey does have good goal sense. By that I mean he regularly finds the ball in goal scoring positions himself, or in positions where his involvement (with or without the ball) results in a scoring opportunity for a team mate. His actual execution by foot is not great however.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Early in his career?
I don't remember him as particularly clean, actually remember him as a bit of a fumbler.
It's a while ago now, but I think so. I remember him always being clean with his disposal. In one of his first few games I remember him kicking a goal from 50 on the boundary on the siren to end a quarter.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought Honeychurch was pretty good after quarter time. If i was advising him, i'd tell him to spend all summer kicking for goal. With his pressure and attitude, he'd be a very valuable member of the team if he could take his chances and kick 1-2 per game (and not fluff sitters)

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Thought Honeychurch was pretty good after quarter time. If i was advising him, i'd tell him to spend all summer kicking for goal. With his pressure and attitude, he'd be a very valuable member of the team if he could take his chances and kick 1-2 per game (and not fluff sitters)
Honey officially the new Jonge. All hail the new hate/love relationship.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For what it's worth I think people are wrong about the potential Toby MacLean/Robbie Gray comparisons. Gray has always relied on his power in a way that MacLean never will. I think the best exhibit for MacLean's potential is actually in the same team as Gray though - a flighty, super-skilled mid-forward who has also been known to draw a free kick or two in his time.... Chad Wingard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Watching Liam Jones and Lewis Young play there roles perfectly last week made me wonder how much Chris Grant would dominate today's football. The whole spatial defense game style and intercept marks is just made for Granty throw in his kicking skills and he'd be the most sort after player in the comp...

Watching Liam Jones and Lewis Young play there roles perfectly last week made me wonder how much Chris Grant would dominate today's football. The whole spatial defense game style and intercept marks is just made for Granty throw in his kicking skills and he'd be the most sort after player in the comp...
Yep, Granty was a interceptor, zoning off-er and rebounder in an era when a key defender's job was just to beat his direct opponent on the day. Like some cricketers and T20, he was a player before his time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back