Review Dogs 96 def Power 77 - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you referring to Liverpool and YNWA?

That had absolutely zero connection to any tragedy. Liverpool fans first sung the song in the mid 60s and the Hillsborough Tragedy was in 1989
Oh my bad, don't really follow the premier league so I thought the two were linked.

Having watched Bontempelli's goal in the first quarter a number of times on replay, I love the way he brushes aside Connor Rozee's hand before kicking the ball, as if to indicate, "What are you doing, Rozee? How do you expect me to kick a brilliant goal if you're grabbing my jumper?"

McLachlan's call of that goal was absolutely pathetic.

I love how we now have 6-7 players who hardly touch the ball week in week out but do their “roles” well.

Apparently part of a “role” is awful skills, dropping marks, missing tackles and basically having no input 3 weeks in a row.

As you said Bev backs his boys and always will but Hannan has been poor at best. Wallis would do as much easily
I feel like Richmond often have a handful of players who haven't touched the ball much but have played their roles well.
There are a lot of things that a player can do on the field that don't register as possessions but can be far more valuable than a lot of possessions.

But the skill errors are a separate matter.

The good news is there is still a lot of improvement left in our side.

I feel like Richmond often have a handful of players who haven't touched the ball much but have played their roles well.
There are a lot of things that a player can do on the field that don't register as possessions but can be far more valuable than a lot of possessions.

But the skill errors are a separate matter.

The good news is there is still a lot of improvement left in our side.

I’m not saying teams don’t need role players and not everyone can touch the footy 20 times.

But Bev doesn’t ever throw his players under the bus so not everything he says in a presser will be the truth.

It’s an easy answer to say he played the role we have him when nobody has a clue what that role apparently is.

I don’t think many people that know anything about football would say Hannan played well when he was near the ball on Saturday night. He made numerous simple skill errors and was beaten one on one easily several times.

But as many have said we are 8-1, doesn’t mean we are perfect and don’t have things to sort out

I get it we have to have a whipping boy but have a look at Hannans last qtr against the Blues. He hasn’t hit his straps yet but just like McNeil and Scott Bevo has some idea of what he is doing and wanting even if it’s not cl to others
Scott, Hannan, Smith, McNeill and Hannan are doing things that we cannot really appreciate on the TV. I think you need to be a really astute conoisseur of the modern game. The smother by Smith was great and he did not make any mistakes. McNeill and Hannan kicked good and important goals and made contributions to others. so did Scott. IMO they were the quiet achievers that allowed us to win.

Last edited:
I’m not saying teams don’t need role players and not everyone can touch the footy 20 times.

But Bev doesn’t ever throw his players under the bus so not everything he says in a presser will be the truth.

It’s an easy answer to say he played the role we have him when nobody has a clue what that role apparently is.

I don’t think many people that know anything about football would say Hannan played well when he was near the ball on Saturday night. He made numerous simple skill errors and was beaten one on one easily several times.

But as many have said we are 8-1, doesn’t mean we are perfect and don’t have things to sort out
Well if he’s NOT playing his role, or hindering the team in any way, he won’t last long. Bev wants to win and won’t carry a bunch of ineffective passengers just to save face.

Must be watching a different game pretty sure he kicked a goal so didn’t stuff that up
It was a good goal. Goes some way towards the negative impact he had on most of the rest of the game.

You need to watch the Blues game again in particular the last quarter
I was there as well as watched the replay. He was a non-entity.
And you need to stop patronising
And you need to learn the multi-quote function.

Seriously in the next post I called myself an idiot. I'm not being patronizing I'm taking the piss.

Well if he’s NOT playing his role, or hindering the team in any way, he won’t last long. Bev wants to win and won’t carry a bunch of ineffective passengers just to save face.

Billy Gowers says hello

Big win in the context of this team.
I wasn't a fan of giving up our quarter time lead but you could see the team had genuinely learned something from the Richmond game.

Excellent to see us slow it down at the end lead by JJ, Duryea and several other senior players.

JJ and Cordy were great when the heat was on. Loved Williams' return. Caleb was immense, almost a perfect game from him. Also welcome back Bailey Smith. Cody Weightman looks to be exactly what we need forward. Still don't see it with Hannan, think Maclean would be the ideal replacement.

Also can we end the discussion. Naughton is a forward and a bloody good one at that.

And how can I forget Libba. We'd be screwed without him. Just the epitome of on field leadership.
I still maintain that Woody (when fit) should be our main full-forward and Naughton has to hold our full-back position. Anyone who disagrees with me is a moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did Billy last play seniors?

You said Bev wouldn’t carry a player to save face.

I’m saying he flat out did that with Gowers imo.

Now on Hannan. He is average 7 possessions. 1 tackle. And 1 goal in 3 games

Wallis average 14 possessions, 1 tackle and 0 goals in two games.

Hannan has done far less than Wallis did and to talk him up is a slap in Wallys face imo

That's the point of a forum bro.
We're all idiots discussing footy.

There'd be no discussion if all we did was agree with those in charge.

We're all different and we all express our support differently. Passion is passion. Get off your high horse mate. We all love the club and want what's best for it. Just because we express it differently doesn't make it less valid. You enjoy supporting your way and others can support theirs.
We are all idiots, that is why we sack the coach when lose and praise him as the best thing that happened since Budha, Jesus, Mohammad and Diego 'God' Maradonna. F youse all!!!

I think it's plausible that Hannan is playing parts of his role well. Maybe stuff that the average fan doesn't notice. But even if that's the case, it's still reasonable for posters like Mike and MD to expect a bit more from him. There's no reason he can't win a few more contests while still doing the stuff that makes the coach happy. You don't have to be a professional analyst to see Hannan lose too many winnable contests, drop marks and fail to complete tackles. He might be doing well enough to please the coaches while still having areas of his game that he needs to improve on.
I would say that when Mclean, Richards and Dunkley are back McNeil, Hannan, Scott will be under huge pressure to stay in the side.

I would say that when Mclean, Richards and Dunkley are back McNeil, Hannan, Scott will be under huge pressure to stay in the side.

I expect Hunter, Gardner, McLean, VDM, Juh and Dunks if fit to be in the side by end of the year. Change for Richards and Wallis to be in also.

Wood/Cordy, Lipinksi, Smith, Hannan and Scott/McNeil/Weightman to go out.

Here's my theory on why Scott, McNiel, Hannon etc are being played despite modest output. The MC is trying to build a 26 man "team" with as many interchangeable parts as possible.
We know what Wallis can do if he's brought back in, but unless these new players are blooded into the "team", we can't rely on them when injuries inevitably strike at the business end if the season.
FWIW, I think it's a smart strategy ... as long as we keep on winning.

On Pixel 3a XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back