Review Dogs 96 def Power 77 - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We seem to have a few players who are perennially playing a role that is not apparent to us. And some others who get dropped and overlooked just so quickly you can't believe it was even worth giving them one game.

Yeah it definitely looks bizarre to us fans at times! I’m mean Bev could also be protecting the players a bit by saying they did their job. Might be a bit of both, mate!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I heard a discussion outlining the reasons for their use of the song recently (on the ABC, I think). It went thus:

The "Never Tear Us Apart" thing is a reaction to the AFL's decision to refuse Port the right to wear the prison bar guernsey.

Port - and their fans, of course - argue that the AFL Port is an extension of the Port Adelaide Magpies, and should be able to wear the prison bars except where it clashes with Collingwood.

The AFL disagrees. It sees them as separate - effectively unrelated - entities.

The song is Port's reaction to being forced into this separation.

I can empathise with them to some degree.
Except it's a narrative that Port have spun for themselves which isn't true at all.

In 2010 the AFL and SANFL left them merge the power and Magpies together again, allowing the Magpies to act as the reserve team whilst maintaining the club's SANFL history. I get it's a bit crap that they can't wear the prison bar guernsey, but they're still pretending that they can't claim or use their SANFL history when they really can.

It's also more to do with the fact that non-Port supporters joined forces as Adelaide and ganged up on them, giving them a mixture of a superiority and victim complex. SANFL through the 80's point blank refused to join the VFL and were much more strongly against the VFL gradually taking over national administration of the game - so Port broke ranks with SANFL, got accepted into the AFL in 1990, SANFL panicked and did a complete 180 to prevent Port, their biggest club from leaving the SANFL entirely. Many Port people still haven't forgiven the SANFL for that because it forced them to wait until 2010 to have the one AFL club again, and their eventual entry was a compromised one with the teal and new nickname (their first few years had an even greater emphasis on the "Power" nickname, their branding being "Port Power" as opposed to "Port Adelaide")

So all in all - even though Port have made many strides in the last decade to align that club history and the new generation of fans shouldn't really let the past influence their support - they still hold their "us against them" mentality.

Yeah it definitely looks bizarre to us fans at times! I’m mean Bev could also be protecting the players a bit by saying they did their job. Might be a bit of both, mate!

I agree, Bevo too smart to bag a player in front of the media for something that he can't change, e.g., being soft, not chasing or tackling or always playing ahead of the ball.

Leave that for the Brad Scott school of coaching.

I don’t think it’s far off tbh, he’s really really growing into the role. His confidence to back himself with ball in hand around the ground is really impressive and something I didn’t think he had in his game at all. I’m becoming a big fan with every game.
so am i. the sight of him receiving a hand ball and running through the center was not what i though he would be doing.

Ports 'Never tear us apart' entry to the ground is still the dopiest ******* football related thing I've ever seen.

And thats saying something, given Im old enough to remember the batmobile at the 1991 grand final.

I guess its great for scarf sales tho...
yeah i think its lame.

I get it we have to have a whipping boy but have a look at Hannans last qtr against the Blues. He hasn’t hit his straps yet but just like McNeil and Scott Bevo has some idea of what he is doing and wanting even if it’s not cl to others
Listening to Bev, I’d say this is yet another example of a player having a role that is not apparent to us watching at home.

No. Some players are way below the level of form required and should be dropped. A whipping boy is someone who is playing ok but gets blamed for everything that is wrong.
We seem to have a few players who are perennially playing a role that is not apparent to us. And some others who get dropped and overlooked just so quickly you can't believe it was even worth giving them one game.
Witches hat?

Bev went out of his way to specifically mention Hannan within the first minute of the press conference stating that he “played extremely well” and noted his contest and courage.

Just goes to show that it’s not easy to judge a player’s performance when you don’t have all the facts.

Bevo rarely makes public comment or criticism of our players but rest assured the players themselves know and that’s the important part

Did anyone else notice Sweet talking back to the crowd when taking his shot in Q4?

I’d love to know what he said!

Thank you that somebody else seen that.
i think he was getting bad advice from them and i think he Said, ahh thanks mate.

Bevo rarely makes public comment or criticism of our players but rest assured the players themselves know and that’s the important part

We don't air our dirty laundry in public, agreed, there are other ways. I put it to you that Roarke got the game to teach the Wests a lesson.

I've noticed a couple of times now that players that have been judged as having poor games on here (I also thought Hannan was poor last night), ended up getting being praised by Bev and rating OK in the AFL Player rating model. I think it's the 3rd time this season I've noticed that.
Eye test and stat sheet (6 possessions) would seem to indicate that Hannan played a poor game last night but he's above his 2 yr avg rank and is about middle of the pack for our 22 in the AFL player rating. He's also obviously doing things that Bev is rating highly.

Probably nothing in the correlation but interesting thing to note for the 3rd time.

We don't air our dirty laundry in public, agreed, there are other ways. I put it to you that Roarke got the game to teach the Wests a lesson.
I put it to you Roark got a game cause he always gives 100% follows team rules and dosent burn his teammate. Sometimes talent is not enough and no doubt Rylee would know why he was dropped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put it to you Roark got a game cause he always gives 100% follows team rules and dosent burn his teammate. Sometimes talent is not enough and no doubt Rylee would know why he was dropped

Roarke is a bit of a "facilitator".

For example, he's just about the best exponent of the shepherd in the side.
One of our goals came as a direct result of him shepherding a team mate.
Not the first time it's happened, either.

Excellent team man.

Roarke is a bit of a "facilitator".

For example, he's just about the best exponent of the shepherd in the side.
One of our goals came as a direct result of him shepherding a team mate.
Not the first time it's happened, either.

Excellent team man.

His first reaction is to shepherd. Others first reaction is to spread for the handball. It’s nice to see.

Bev went out of his way to specifically mention Hannan within the first minute of the press conference stating that he “played extremely well” and noted his contest and courage.

Just goes to show that it’s not easy to judge a player’s performance when you don’t have all the facts.
Don't need all the "facts" to see someone struggling to complete a simple chest mark or hold a tackle.

It's nice he does a bunch of unrewarded decoy running and blocks. But I'd like someone who doesn't stuff up scoring chains whenever they go near the ball.

Just want to put it out there.

At the end of the day, he’s human and cant win everything off his boot, but hats off to you Bont for your Redemption Moment from the Richmond game missing the easy shot at half time to last night halting Ports 5 goal 2nd Quarter run to the hostile boos of the crowd. Was the sign we wouldnt have a repeat of the Richmond game.

Happy for JJ last night as he has copped a bit of heat for his first few games this season, Ive been a big fan for a long time but he needed to find something. He could now be a secret weapon as a runwith small forward tagger for oppos most damaging back flanker but dont forget he is quietly lethal for goal and can go beyond the arc; go well JJ.

Treloar hype I’m riding like when we got Boyd. His nutmeg last night summed up his night where he was mostly doing everything right but wasnt going his way; the ball trajectory on the Gray kick, the logical choice was to guess the higher bounce and he got absolutely done. It’s a good evening though when he’s our 5th best mid and still contributing while letting Bont/Lib/Smith/Macrae go to work. I love it, he’s had his turn previous weeks and will have it again another week.

Don't need all the "facts" to see someone struggling to complete a simple chest mark or hold a tackle.

It's nice he does a bunch of unrewarded decoy running and blocks. But I'd like someone who doesn't stuff up scoring chains whenever they go near the ball.

It was a red hot game against a top 4 team. Sometimes players don’t execute perfectly, especially fringe/depth players.

So what’s your theory on why your view and Bev’s differ?

It was a red hot game against a top 4 team. Sometimes players don’t execute perfectly, especially fringe/depth players.

So what’s your theory on why your view and Bev’s differ?
He's been the same player three weeks in a row. That excuse works against Port and I'll even give you the Tigers but Carlton? Nah bro.

Simple. Bev always backs his players publicly. Especially when they've just been traded in or picked for a specific task. See Gowers, Billy.

He's been the same player three weeks in a row. That excuse works against Port and I'll even give you the Tigers but Carlton? Nah bro.

Simple. Bev always backs his players publicly. Especially when they've just been traded in or picked for a specific task. See Gowers, Billy.

Yes. Bev backs his players when criticised by putting a positive spin on things from time to time. But that’s not what happened here.

If Bev thought Hannan played poorly, why would he proactively praise him (without being prompted) in the first minutes of the press conference?

Hannan was literally the first player Bev referred to and said he played “extremely well.” They are his words, not mine.

Hannan had a role to play and played it extremely well according to the coach who defined the role.

You just watched on TV with no certainty of said role or visibility over the player for the whole game.

The reality is that even good teams have 4-6 role players of limited ability (relatively speaking). They just need to perform their role to a good level and consistent to the team plan. Hannan clearly did this according to our premiership winning and most successful VFL/AFL coach in 100 years.

That’s enough for me. I will back the judgement of the coach who has us at 8-1 on the ladder.

Cody was a way off it last year. His performance tonight is a credit to him foremost but also to our development systems. There must have been pressure to give him a crack earlier, but the timing was right. Well done all.

We can’t underestimate how hard last year would have been for first year players. Weightman needed a full VFL season under his belt. As JUH seems to.

The great clubs give young players time to develop in the state leagues without bowing to public pressure to play them. Not every young player develops better by playing Senior footy and struggling to get a kick.

Just because a young player isn’t being played at senior level doesn’t mean they’re not being developed.

By the way, I bloody love Port’s “Never Tear us Apart” thing. I’m legit jealous of it.

I love how we now have 6-7 players who hardly touch the ball week in week out but do their “roles” well.

Apparently part of a “role” is awful skills, dropping marks, missing tackles and basically having no input 3 weeks in a row.

As you said Bev backs his boys and always will but Hannan has been poor at best. Wallis would do as much easily

We can’t underestimate how hard last year would have been for first year players. Weightman needed a full VFL season under his belt. As JUH seems to.

The great clubs give young players time to develop in the state leagues without bowing to public pressure to play them. Not every young player develops better by playing Senior footy and struggling to get a kick.

Just because a young player isn’t being played at senior level doesn’t mean they’re not being developed.

By the way, I bloody love Port’s “Never Tear us Apart” thing. I’m legit jealous of it.

I like the never year us apart thing too. Each to their own I suppose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back