Autopsy Dogs beat Cats - Rd 15, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost it at the selection table again. Would love Chris Scott to justify the Parsons selection when we have 41 players available. Scott Selwood plays instead and we win by 5 goals.

I'm just going to quote my pained scream into the void from the GameDay thread:

Why don't we play man-on-man when there's 4 minutes to go and we're two goals down, allowing the opposition to soak up time?

Why do we allow an uncontested mark from a kickout with 2 minutes to go when we're two goals down, allowing the opposition to soak up time?

Why do we allow the opposition to get all the way to their half-forward line before pressuring them?

Why does Harry Taylor poke at shots at goal when he's an incredible field kick?

Why, why, why, f'n, why.

Not too disappointed with that actually - dogs played out of their skins, we didn't wilt like we have under that sort of pressure in the recent past, and could have pinched it.

We're not good enough this season, but have unearthed some super promising players, just need to stop gifting one or two of the others games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to hold onto Kelly - didn't stop trying all night, great guts from a first year player. A lot of other blokes could take a leaf out of his book.

Club continues to deny the post-bye blues, but it's possibly cost us finals this year. Uphill from here. Feel like the team has been on repeat since 2012-2018. Whether it be the easy games we routinely bundle, or the expected loss after mid-season byes, or even the surrendering meekly when the pressure goes up, we've all seen it all before for half a decade. This year is proving to be no different, all the early signs are there for a repeat. Buckle up. :drunk:

We have some great youth coming through but so do other side.
Look at the Bulldogs as an example.

We are destined to stay in the 6 to 14 range was our older players age.
No hope of a flag in the foreseeable future.

The Swans will thrash us next week. We are simply no good.

Positives:

Better than expected games from:

Stanley
Narkle

Solid returns from:

Taylor
Guthrie

Negatives:

Sloppy, lazy footy
Murdoch going for goal a few times when he had better options
Disinterest - Kolo jogging after a Dogs player running down the line.
Parsons....again. 7 utensil ups to my count.

Other positives:

Parson's replacement for next week is hard as nails:

latest

Kolo has been good all year but had a shocker. So Henderson will be in for him

Parsons was terrible again. Menzel in for him.

Ablett as good as he is when we have the ball a few times never chased at all

Dangerfield disposal lets him down again, gave up a few goals from his turnovers

I’m just gutted, I can’t remember feeling so ******* deflated after a game.

Not sure why we have had worse loses, maybe it’s just a realization that our season is over in any meaningful sense.

An entertaining, largely bruise-free game but in the end a terrible loss against a threadbare Footscray side who were down on rotations for large parts of the night.
Down on confidence and manpower, we really should have put the squeeze on them early and ground them into submission; instead we got involved in a shoot-out, which ultimately suited the Dogs.
In saying that, this type of game was far more entertaining to watch than the game style Scott & co. would prefer us to play.
The team conceded more points than Scott & co. would have liked, and I put that down to the inability of the midfield to either win a centre clearance or set up effectively when the Dogs had the ball.

The mids weren’t poor exactly, but they clearly backed their ability over system and discipline, and the Bulldogs could smell complacency in the air.

Our forward pressure was only average, too; Fogarty could do with a spell - after playing some good footy earlier in the year he’s contributing less and less, and his decision-making tonight, on the rare occasions that he touched the ball, was poor.
James Parsons needs to have a good long think about just what it is he intends to bring to the team. Not only did he give us nothing either offensively or defensively, he further sullied his reputation by selling teammates into trouble with thoughtless, lazy disposals - sub-par for AFL.

Menegola is just too damn slow to affect many contests defensively; once the ball is out of his zone he’s not going to chase with any real purpose. Kicked a couple and won the odd hard ball, but overall the jury is well and truly out on this guy until he performs in a big game.

Murdoch and Parfitt were a lot more productive in similar forward/midfield roles; both tackled and chased well and did their share offensively too. Parfitt's tackling is absolutely textbook.

Great to see both Harry Taylor and Cam Guthrie back; Taylor provided a nice foil for Hawkins (and Stanley!) and Guthrie, though a bit rusty, was involved in some nice passages of play, straightening us up with his run and stepping in for some timely defensive interventions. He got better as the game went on. The less said about Harry’s shot after the siren the better. :'(

Quinton Narkle may prove to be the perfect Tim Kelly replacement ;)
Seriously though he was a real spark, covered the ground well and used the ball effectively; completely at home in his first game. Scott & co. played him in the centre at the re-starts in the last quarter, which was bold (Cotton), if perhaps not wise.

The backs were a mixed bag; I reckon Kolodjashnij’s form has dropped off significantly in recent weeks; none of the intercept marking or solid decision making we’ve seen for most of the year to date. Getting caught regularly.

Jack Henry was excellent one-on-one, but Bews has gone into his shell a little bit; he can be more proactive when his confidence is up.

I’m not his biggest fan of Tuohy, he kicked really well at times but couldn’t avoid making egregious errors; his turnover to Bontempelli to put the Dogs 4 goals up in the 3rd was horrible.

Blicavs positioning was really good; still slow to use the ball but he’s already learning when to push up the ground to protect space and/or intercept. One of our better players tonight.
Stewart was blisteringly good at times, made some incisive runs and affected some contests he had no right to even contest; in my votes fwiw.

I liked Dangerfield’s game a lot and I thought his time split in the middle and up forward was pretty much spot on.

Tom Hawkins had another strong, decisive game; marking as well as he ever has, converting confidently and way more creative than he is given credit for. Whenever he has a quiet-ish patch during a game he has tended to work up to the wings and half-back to get involved and has done that really well too.

I kinda enjoyed this loss more than most; I don’t hate the Dogs like I do most teams and at least it was an attacking game.

But really, at 8-6 this Geelong team does little to inspire faith that they’ll be there when the whips are cracking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back