Toast Dogs beat Hawks : 76 - 40

I know nothing about footy 😬
My problem with him is footy nous. Any high ball comes in he is programmed to just punch and spoil.
it matters not to him where it goes or who he spoils.

He was ok today , but I think he will be “ fun “to watch In finals if we are there.

That's why you are the King...KIng...couldnt have said it better myself. If you think he shits the bed when the ball goes near him..i s**t the bed when he goes near the ball. - He is showing some signs though

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Bont and Daniel were sublime but good performances across the line.

Perhaps got a bit complacent in the second half, maybe we thought the Hawks would roll over and let us spank them. Would’ve been nice to really put the foot down and make a statement but a win is more important than anything at the moment.

Defense worked well, Gardner had some really nice moments. Duryea will be better for the run and JJ looked very dangerous further up the ground. Not sure if Suckling will be better for the run or if he’s on his last legs. Guess we’ll find out at team selection.

Sucks for Toby who has been building nicely recently. Really, really sucks. He’s a resilient guy and he will be back better than ever but it makes you feel s**t. 2021 also looks unlikely for him.

On to Freo next week. One down, one to go. They’ll be a tougher test than what we had today. Think we’re good enough and if we’re not good enough we don’t deserve to make it honestly.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
I don't follow these things very closely but is Caleb Daniel being mentioned as a possible AA when it comes to the naming of the team?

Watching his surveil his surroundings in an instant as he sums up the best option is just a sight to behold.

A lot of good defenders this year, definitely the strongest position on the ground. He’s definitely in the mix, he’d be in my team

Al dente

All Australian
Sep 11, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My problem with him is footy nous. Any high ball comes in he is programmed to just punch and spoil.

He was ok today , but I think he will be “ fun “to watch In finals if we are there.
i agree, he had a really good first half, then a shaky third, overall ok but im worried about him and Cordy moving forward, we lack a quality defensive tall back to compliment Keath

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's why you are the King...KIng...couldnt have said it better myself. If you think he shits the bed when the ball goes near him..i sh*t the bed when he goes near the ball. - He is showing some signs though
I was very much not in his corner through the first few games but fairs fair ..he's got better. Sure he's hitting the packs to spoil and it could go anywhere and often does but he's getting a fist to it. He's probably 20 or 30 games short of what we want going into finals (if we do) but it is what is.

Even though it cost us a goal, I really didn't mind that he took that kick on in the defensive half. Didn't quite get over the attacker (missed it by that much) but I'm OK that he has a crack. He's a better kick than I initially thought.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
That's why you are the King...KIng...couldnt have said it better myself. If you think he shits the bed when the ball goes near him..i sh*t the bed when he goes near the ball. - He is showing some signs though

Hi Mate !
i am probably a little harsh , especially after a good win. But he just dosnt pass my eye test.
When I’m proven wrong , I expect you all to come after me.
want desperately to be wrong , we need a tall athletic defender.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

He also seems slow to react when the ball is on the ground, and his kicking is heart-in-mouth stuff. But he did perform pretty well today off the back of a competent game last week.

That said, I can’t understand why so many posters jump all over any criticism of him. He’s not an AFL standard player imo (Gowers and Hayes have also played some good games at this level - are they AFL standard?) and it’s almost certain he’ll be a liability in finals should we get there.

I don’t think he’s anywhere near best 22 in a contending side, and imo anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t know anything about footy. But we’ll agree to disagree I suppose.

On a more positive note, Bont got leather poisoning, Naughton looked dominant and Caleb played a blinder. Losing the second half was very poor imo - the hawks are a really bad side - but percentage doesn’t matter now anyway.

Freo look competent recently so next week will be interesting.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here is the usual...

Expected Score
HA: 29
WB: 74

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
64 - English (23/6)
16 - Bruce (2/0)

First Possessions
HA: 33
WB: 34

Effective Clearances
HA: 14
WB: 27

Tackle Efficiency
HA: 66%
WB: 76%

WB Kicks Inside 50
View attachment 960536
Score Launches

5 - Dunkley
2 - Bontempelli, English, Macrae
1 - Naughton, Liberatore, Bruce, R. Smith, Richards, Williams, Daniel, Keath, B. Smith, Johannisen

Shots At Goal
HA: 8 (75%)
WB: 24 (46%)

2 - English (100%)
2 - Johannisen (100%)
2 - Naughton (100%)
2 - R. Smith (50%)
2 - Crozier (0%)
2 - Dunkley (0%)
2 - Hunter (0%)
2 - Richards (0%)
1 - Daniel (100%)
1 - McLean (100%)
1 - B. Smith (100%)
1 - Wallis (100%)
1 - Bruce (0%)
1 - Liberatore (0%)
1 - Macrae (0%)
1 - Suckling (0%)

Targets Inside 50
11 - Bruce
6 - Naughton
5 - Johannisen
3 - Wallis
2 - R. Smith
1 - Dunkley, English, Liberatore, Suckling

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Gardner

Pressure Gauge
HA: 194 (Above Average)
WB: 198 (Above Average)

Score Sources
View attachment 960538

Cheers once again, really appreciate this.

We target Bruce too much. His and Naughtons numbers should be flipped.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Spoils aren’t meant to hit teammates lace out King.

He flew for a few grabs today too. Just couldn’t hold them with 4 others flying.

He’s playing as you would expect a 5-10 game defender would. Still nervous at times and is slowish to react when the ball spills from a contest. Also slow as s**t which is a real hindrance imo.
He’s a completely different player to the one we saw last year and early this year though so he’s heading in the right direction.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard to be happy when Toby looks done, just flat. Aside from that we got the job done and played some pretty good footy at times. We never put the foot down as is come to be expected but we were never really worried and we stood up and iced it when things were looking slightly dangerous. So all in all I’m happy with the performance. Naughty is a completely different beast to any other tall in the comp, he’s a gun. Bont and Daniel just unreal, Daniel is really an incredible player. There’s not another player who plays the same role even close to Daniels level. Hes something else.

ive been harsh on Gardner and he’s surprised me the last couple of weeks playing to an acceptable standard that I didn’t believe he had in him but geez I must have been watching a different game today. He was not good, not good at all. He has literally no edge to his game, what does he offer? He’s terrible one on one thank god we haven’t let him get stuck in that position to often, he’s scared with and without the ball, even when he can affect a contest he does it so weakly. ******* kill the ball, when you’re third man up in the contest you have one job kill the ball, he just sort of floats in and gets a limp hand to it and drops it straight down in front it’s not good enough, He goes to ground, he’s slow by foot he’s even slower by mind, he’s Poor by foot. The thought of carrying this bloke in a final makes me sick. He is average as much as so many people here want to believe there’s something to work with.

You could say the same of Keath, he rarely marks but is the master of the disguised paddle over the boundary. To my eyes anyway.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Spoils aren’t meant to hit teammates lace out King.

He flew for a few grabs today too. Just couldn’t hold them with 4 others flying.

He’s playing as you would expect a 5-10 game defender would. Still nervous at times and is slowish to react when the ball spills from a contest. Also slow as sh*t which is a real hindrance imo.
He’s a completely different player to the one we saw last year and early this year though so he’s heading in the right direction.

yeah let’s hope the kid gets better and better Charlie.
He looks like he gives it his all , that‘s a quality we can all agree on 👍

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard to be happy when Toby looks done, just flat. Aside from that we got the job done and played some pretty good footy at times. We never put the foot down as is come to be expected but we were never really worried and we stood up and iced it when things were looking slightly dangerous. So all in all I’m happy with the performance. Naughty is a completely different beast to any other tall in the comp, he’s a gun. Bont and Daniel just unreal, Daniel is really an incredible player. There’s not another player who plays the same role even close to Daniels level. Hes something else.

ive been harsh on Gardner and he’s surprised me the last couple of weeks playing to an acceptable standard that I didn’t believe he had in him but geez I must have been watching a different game today. He was not good, not good at all. He has literally no edge to his game, what does he offer? He’s terrible one on one thank god we haven’t let him get stuck in that position to often, he’s scared with and without the ball, even when he can affect a contest he does it so weakly. ******* kill the ball, when you’re third man up in the contest you have one job kill the ball, he just sort of floats in and gets a limp hand to it and drops it straight down in front it’s not good enough, He goes to ground, he’s slow by foot he’s even slower by mind, he’s Poor by foot. The thought of carrying this bloke in a final makes me sick. He is average as much as so many people here want to believe there’s something to work with.
Sucks for Toby, but he’ll be back and he has a premiership medal in the bank.

Hope the boys are focused this week because guys like Wallis (who’s only ever played one final) deserve finals.

Should win on paper, but Freo are improving and there have been so many weird results this year.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
i agree, he had a really good first half, then a shaky third, overall ok but im worried about him and Cordy moving forward, we lack a quality defensive tall back to compliment Keath

I agree , Keath instantly becomes a better footballer with a Steven May type in the back 6 with him.

lifesaver

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
KH I have not had any confidence in him but I was at the ground today. He did some really good work. I am.SLOWLY changing my mind but he will never be an Alex Rance. Probably will be a poor man's zaine cordy
Hi Mate !
i am probably a little harsh , especially after a good win. But he just dosnt pass my eye test.
When I’m proven wrong , I expect you all to come after me.
want desperately to be wrong , we need a tall athletic defender.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would of loved to have seen us double the half time score of 7-6-48, typical Dogs win very dominant from the usual suspects. The
forward end and goal construction is still far too random and when we do get it right it stands out like the proverbial. Kept them
to under 4000 metres gained 3739 which is lower than last week, but we got it more on our terms. If a team has the weapons to
threaten us i still see the same issues as i have seen for quite a while. If teams allow us to swarm all over them, they have little
chance.

Shame for Toby McLean looked a bad one, good to see Tim English kick straight could be a weapon up forward.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
KH I have not had any confidence in him but I was at the ground today. He did some really good work. I am.SLOWLY changing my mind but he will never be an Alex Rance. Probably will be a poor man's zaine cordy
Phuk!! What sort of "glimmer of hope" is that? I wanna jump off a bridge now.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The whole fox footy coverage jammed down our throats how the hawks were a bunch of kids today. Someone please find out the age and games player averages. Horrible coverage.

Dermie especially keen. Notice at half time said something like the Hawks have seven under 25 games we have three blah blah, we should win by 60-80 blah blah.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Other glaring issue , and this will surprise a few , got taken to the cleaners in the ruck.
was really the catalyst after half time and made the Hawks far more competitive.
Good thing big Tim kicked a couple.

Back